Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:42:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGLittle Hitler in Toyland (Test demo inside)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Little Hitler in Toyland (Test demo inside)  (Read 18837 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

That's a nice little demo you have there already Shocked
With a couple more levels it would have made a great entry.
It has the feeling of sega Master system games.
I think Castle of Illusion for the master system was very similar.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »

That's a nice little demo you have there already Shocked

Hey, thanks Smiley

With a couple more levels it would have made a great entry.

Believe me, I tried.  Just, like, one more day would have been a blessing.  I shouldn't have started the compo four days late...

It has the feeling of sega Master system games.
I think Castle of Illusion for the master system was very similar.

I keep hearing this, which is strange to me.  I was a solid Nintendo fanboy growing up.  I never really played any Master System games as a kid, aside from Psycho Fox (which I hated) and that whatsitcalled... Wonder Boy?  Which I also hated.  Perhaps I should check some more of them out.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 11:04:06 PM »

I managed to make the player and the first enemy invisible by accidentally right-clicking the top bar thing. So yeah, then I had to restart the game to fix that.

The game looks nice, and I love the music. But it's really hard, to me atleast - I couldn't get up to the first platform before I got a game over. Whenever you finish this, make sure it has a less steep learning curve.

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 07:28:10 AM »

Very hard until you get the timing down, then it becomes challenging and fun. Wish there was more than one level  Cry
lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 08:36:22 AM »

The game is great! With little tweaks it have a chance to become even more
perfect...I think the learning curve is not so steep, its because of the
spinning enemy (which is one of the hardest to defeat) is right at the start
of level, and also when hitler gets hit, he can't move. But I think you
should definitly resume developing of the game!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »

I managed to make the player and the first enemy invisible by accidentally right-clicking the top bar thing. So yeah, then I had to restart the game to fix that.

Yes, I've noticed that too.  Strange bug.  The opening credits music bugs out and restarts if you try to drag the window, too.  Chalk up another bug report for Scirra.

Very hard until you get the timing down, then it becomes challenging and fun. Wish there was more than one level  Cry

When I do release a final version, I'll be sure to ramp up the difficulty from the beginning.  Some small puzzles or weak enemies that introduce the hammer mechanic before throwing tops at the player.  They are rather deadly.

With little tweaks it have a chance to become even more
perfect... when hitler gets hit, he can't move. But I think you
should definitly resume developing of the game!

There is supposed to be a grace period between your "hurt" animation (where the controls lock up) and resuming normal play where the player is invincible, but can still move to get away from enemies.  Right now the timer for the whole invulnerability thing runs on straight refresh cycles, so people with refresh rates faster than 60Hz might not have as much chance to get away.  I'm going to go through the code and change all the time-sensitive code to milliseconds instead of cycles.

And I'm glad you all enjoyed it Smiley  I should have a playable game in a few weeks.  If I can wrap my head around this level-design conundrum.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »

Actually, you could design your levels entirely in Photoshop/Fireworks/whatever graphics program you're using. That might make it easier? Except of course things like spikes, you'd have to add those in the editor later.

And yay TimeDelta! Smiley

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »

I just gave this a try Smiley Unfortunately I got the "glitch" too, but I think the graphics are really cool! I love the animations and the game seems nice and fast paced, which I always like in platformers. I did find using the hammer a bit hard, though.

It's definitely got potential! I'm looking forward to the final version Smiley

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 11:48:05 AM »

Sorry to hear that, Terry.  I think I might have a solution though...

Actually, you could design your levels entirely in Photoshop/Fireworks/whatever graphics program you're using. That might make it easier? Except of course things like spikes, you'd have to add those in the editor later.

Actually, I've considered this to overcome the tile-jittering bug too.  I could make all my level platforms one big image.  I'd like to see it try to jitter the tiles around then  Tongue  The levels aren't that big, and with hardware acceleration it wouldn't slow down appreciably.  I'll have to run some tests though.

Of course, it might just make the whole level jitter up and down.  I guess we'll see.  But hopefully Construct's creators can sort the rendering glitch out anyway.

And actually, I could do the spikes too, as long as I use a surrogate collision mask for them.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:50:24 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 11:59:42 AM »

Yeah, I'm making my entire levels in photoshop as well, cause  1) They are all going to be non-scrolling, stuck at 640x480, and

2) The game I'm making doesn't look good when it's tile based.

gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 12:43:13 PM »

This is really nice, though like others have been saying getting the timing on the hammer can be pretty challenging. Works great once you get used to it, though. Playing it made me download Construct and from what i can tell, it seems fantastic! Really fun to see that games are being made with it already Smiley... Too bad it crashes whenever i try to add a sprite  Roll Eyes

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »

Playing it made me download Construct and from what i can tell, it seems fantastic! Really fun to see that games are being made with it already Smiley... Too bad it crashes whenever i try to add a sprite  Roll Eyes

Aw Sad

That sucks.  It is still a little buggy what with being a beta and all, but still you should be able to do something as simple as adding a sprite.  Obviously it's supposed to work, I did make this after all.

Feel free to post your bug report over at the Construct forum.  The coders are on there quite frequently, and they're pretty quick with the feedback.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic