Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:51:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrapped in Time (Updated 8/30/10)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trapped in Time (Updated 8/30/10)  (Read 2499 times)
namre
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:36:33 AM »

Short Description
Trapped in Time is a top-view manic shooter where you are trapped inside a giant clock level and you need to survive swarms of enemies all while dodging the fast rotating clock hands with timed jumps.

Game Features
Here are some things that you could expect from the game:
- Jumping! - What sets it apart from other manic shooters is that you need to jump to avoid enemies and obstacles, which is unheard of in this genre
- Weapons - There are a variety of guns at your disposal. Each has it's own pros and cons. The Gatling Gun, Shotgun, Laser Beam, Rocket Launcher, and Mortar Launcher
- Enemies - Enemy variety is aplenty and are guaranteed to keep you on your toes to keep you challenged all the time!
- Power-ups - The level is constantly littered with items that can give you special abilities, and even affect your surroundings.
- Challenging gameplay - The longer you play, the harder the levels get. This makes the game more challenging and satisfying when you get a high score.

Latest update:
- Freeze Ray – Freezes enemies. Once frozen you can smash them to kill them instantly.
- Splitting Bullets
- Arc Lightning Gun – Lightning jumps randomly from enemy to enemy damaging them
- Familiars – Kinda like mini helpers that shoot enemies that are near
- Mortar Launcher
- Rocket Launcher
- A power-up that could slow or reverse the movement of the clock
- Force Field
- New sprites
- New effects
- Better controls
- Scoring System
- HUD is now on the screen displaying number of bullets as well as health
- Improved and cleaner graphics

Coming Soon
- More enemies for variety
- Bug fixing
- Release!

Demo Download
Here's a download of a demo of the game. In this current version, most of the basic stuff are implemented, like weapons, basic enemies, etc.

Latest Release (08/30/2010)
Download link to Zip file
Download link to Rar file

Videos
Currently working on a new video featuring the latest build of the game.

Credits
The game has no music or sounds yet but Tyler Schmahl, aka Havoc, has expressed interest in providing some tracks for the game. Thanks, Tyler!

=======================================================================================

Trapped in Time is the current game project of Accidental Rebel made using the Construct game engine.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:32:40 AM by Accidental Rebel » Logged
namre
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »

Playable demo now added!  Beer!
namre
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:40:19 AM »

New demo available for download (8/30/2010)! Check the first post of this thread for the links.

New features:
- Freeze Ray – Freezes enemies. Once frozen you can smash them to kill them instantly.
- Splitting Bullets
- Arc Lightning Gun – Lightning jumps randomly from enemy to enemy damaging them
- Familiars – Kinda like mini helpers that shoot enemies that are near
- Mortar Launcher
- Rocket Launcher
- A power-up that could slow or reverse the movement of the clock
- Force Field
- New sprites
- New effects
- Better controls
- Scoring System
- HUD is now on the screen displaying number of bullets as well as health
- Improved and cleaner graphics
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »

Downloading now. I remember playing the first released demo, but I just couldn't get into it... but I am excited about this update. I really love the concept and the execution isn't bad either. So kudos, will edit with some crits soon Smiley

EDIT: So I played it for a bit but still found myself bored.
A couple concerns about gameplay:
The movement. It seemed to lag whenever I hit one of the arrow keys which resulted in alot of frustration. I found myself circling powerups trying to get to them.
Enemy variety. Wasn't much to kill. The regular ghosts died almost constantly and I found myself only looking out for the reaper type enemy and the clock hand.
Powerups. They spawned far too quickly. I was often confused about what kind of weapon I was using and sometimes I wanted to keep a weapon only to accidentally walk into one of the many littering the screen.
Visuals. While pretty, they got boring pretty quickly. A couple of the weapon effects just didn't fit in. I understand that a few of them are probably placeholders but I would like to see something that works with everything else (I'm talking mainly about the laser, shotgun, and lightning bolt here)
The shotgun. For some reason, in shooters like this especially, I LOVE shotguns. I love the carnage that they can cause. But I think one of the main reasons I love them is because I can see the bullets hitting the enemies. Here all I see is a blast of fire and enemies falling over. Of course, this is simply my personal preference, but I would love to see separate bullets coming from the shotgun (the pellets) instead of just a big muzzle flash.

So I enjoyed it, but not as much as I wanted to Sad Still feels like a beta build. Hope to see something a bit more polished. Good work, keep it up!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:40:31 PM by Dozer » Logged
namre
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »

Hi Dozer,

Thank you very much for your comments!

The movement. It seemed to lag whenever I hit one of the arrow keys which resulted in alot of frustration. I found myself circling powerups trying to get to them.
It did? Hmm... I need to check this out. Can you explain more in detail the lag you're experiencing?

Enemy variety. Wasn't much to kill. The regular ghosts died almost constantly and I found myself only looking out for the reaper type enemy and the clock hand.
Yep, more will be added soon! Stay tuned!

Powerups. They spawned far too quickly. I was often confused about what kind of weapon I was using and sometimes I wanted to keep a weapon only to accidentally walk into one of the many littering the screen.
Might take a look into making the powerups not spawn to quickly.

A couple of the weapon effects just didn't fit in. I understand that a few of them are probably placeholders but I would like to see something that works with everything else (I'm talking mainly about the laser, shotgun, and lightning bolt here)
Yeah, some of them are still placeholders. Rest assured that more effort will be put on visuals once I have the core mechanic down.

The shotgun. For some reason, in shooters like this especially, I LOVE shotguns. I love the carnage that they can cause. But I think one of the main reasons I love them is because I can see the bullets hitting the enemies. Here all I see is a blast of fire and enemies falling over. Of course, this is simply my personal preference, but I would love to see separate bullets coming from the shotgun (the pellets) instead of just a big muzzle flash.
The reason that I stuck with the muzzle flash is because I want the shotgun to have some kind of cone area for damage.

So I enjoyed it, but not as much as I wanted to  Still feels like a beta build. Hope to see something a bit more polished. Good work, keep it up!
Yeah, this was the same as what others told me. They said that it was fun but there wasn't much to keep them from playing. I am in the process of brainstorming for mechanics that would mesh well with the current gameplay to make it even more fun.

Don't worry, I am working hard to improve the game. It is comments such as yours that would make this game better, so keep em coming!
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »

Umm... sometimes I am horrible at explaining things... It took a while for the keys to notice they were being pressed? Lol... There was a moment in between me hitting the "w" key before my character actually started moving upwards. In a game like this I was expecting something a bit more immediate... Maybe its just me. (Also, it happened with all the movement keys, not just the "w" key)
namre
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »

Umm... sometimes I am horrible at explaining things... It took a while for the keys to notice they were being pressed? Lol... There was a moment in between me hitting the "w" key before my character actually started moving upwards. In a game like this I was expecting something a bit more immediate... Maybe its just me. (Also, it happened with all the movement keys, not just the "w" key)
Hi Dozer, I kinda get what you mean. The reason for the delay is caused by the low acceleration. Will consider tweaking it on the next release since a lot of people have been pointing it out.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic