Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:18:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioGreat soundfont VST
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Great soundfont VST  (Read 4476 times)
rogerlevy
« on: July 10, 2010, 07:32:02 AM »

i've been searching for a good soundfont VST.  i found a good free one that happens to do way more than just soundfonts.  what's more, it's free, did i mention that?
sfz and sfz+ are probably the more well-known plugins but they are awful.  don't waste your time.  
http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
if you are using FL Studio and were thinking about buying the SoundFont plugin you might consider just downloading this instead.  it sounds 95% as good.  i'd say IL's has a slight warmth edge.

edit: Meh, in a fit of anal retention i just created a parametric EQ 2 preset that makes shortcircuit sound exactly like soundfont player.  so much for that! lol.  if you want it, let me know and i'll post it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:38:09 AM by rogerlevy » Logged
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:58:55 AM »

At some point it's just good to dive in and grab Kontakt to do your sampling needs. And a great number sample libraries come with their own samplers these days, as well, like EWQL Play or Omnisphere.  Just my $.02.

hi
rogerlevy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »

what's wrong with soundfonts?  there are many good ones.  i think it's good when you're trying to make music economically.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »

Cakewalk offers two sfz players free. They're not great by any means, but they are another option.

soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »

what's wrong with soundfonts?  there are many good ones.  i think it's good when you're trying to make music economically.

I'm not debating that there's anything wrong with soundfonts - I'm just saying there are samplers that can handle SoundFonts with more convenience that may be worth a penny or two.  I definitely understand working with a budget.  I used SFZ briefly myself, and it's probably the most reliable free SF VST I used.

hi
rogerlevy
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:09:37 AM »

I'm not debating that there's anything wrong with soundfonts - I'm just saying there are samplers that can handle SoundFonts with more convenience that may be worth a penny or two.  I definitely understand working with a budget.  I used SFZ briefly myself, and it's probably the most reliable free SF VST I used.
well, when i have the cash i'll definitely reconsider it.  i didn't know that it offered SF support.

agh.  SFZ and SFZ+ sound terrible.  play the same soundfont alongside FL Studio's built in one (or Kontakt I guess!).  to me it really sounds like it was run through a grinder and then reshaped into something resembling what it's supposed to be.  i don't know how they managed to make it sound so bad.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:25:28 AM »

Right now I use Dimension LE for my soundfonts, I kind of needed it for a special soundfont pack that I got. Different formatting or what not. I kind of like it,  though the orchestration it came with I didn't like. Well it was free, so can't complain too much.

And I thought sfz didn't colour the sounds from the SFs?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:39:57 AM by KM » Logged

rogerlevy
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 06:13:52 AM »

Right now I use Dimension LE for my soundfonts, I kind of needed it for a special soundfont pack that I got. Different formatting or what not. I kind of like it,  though the orchestration it came with I didn't like. Well it was free, so can't complain too much.

And I thought sfz didn't colour the sounds from the SFs?

I started off by comparing sfz with the FL Studio Soundfont Player plugin demo, because I thought something sounded off.  I still have no idea what it is!  it could be nothing but EQ, sfz just doesn't sound as "full".

Thanks for the idea, I'll check out Dimension LE later.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic