Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:34:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeap 4 Blue
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Leap 4 Blue  (Read 2915 times)
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:06:22 PM »

Hey everyone. I thought I would write a small devlog for my current project, Leap4Blue.

How I started it
I started Leap 4 Blue at the Winnipeg TIGJam (which was a really awesome experience), and made a very basic prototype of the game with about 8 levels. I got a lot of really good feedback from everyone, and a lot of help from Chevy Ray on design and graphical snazzyness (really appreciate all the feedback/help man!). So, after the Jam was over, I reprogrammed a lot of the engine, and started to flesh out the game further, creating new levels, and adding more stuff to make the levels more enjoyable and interesting.

What is Leap 4 Blue? How does it work?
Well, it's basically a puzzle platformer, where you have to reach the goal in each level. Doesn't that sound like a really original concept!? Well I'm not done yet. You can't jump very high, move very fast, or jump off walls. Instead, the yet to be named main character in Leap 4 Blue can use his super powers to produce blocks where ever he chooses:

This creates a bit of an interesting mechanic that leads to some pretty fun, and challenging, levels. The block that the player shoots always stays the same, however as the game progresses, new types of blocks/floors/whatever are introduced that the player can interact with. Blocks include the normal green ones (same type that the player shoots), red blocks (with skulls on them Evil) door/switch blocks, air currents (that move blocks) yellow areas where you can't place blocks, and a bunch of other ones.

Music and other info...
In terms of music, I currently have some being made by Alec Holowka, and my brother, Liam, so I'm really looking forward to that as I've heard some demos as to what they've created for the game thus far, and it's looking (no wait, sounding!) awesome.

Also! The game is being made in the ever so amazing Flash Punk.

Complete list of block types:
  • Green Block: Player walks on these, and also shoots/creates them
  • Red Blocks: Players arch-enemy. They kill the player ( Sad )
  • Blue Blocks: Players best friend. They bring the player to the next level
  • Rainbow Blocks: there are 3 of these in each level. Collect them all and something good* happens
  • Yellow Blocks: You can't place your blocks in this area
  • Purple Blocks: These are switches, the open door blocks:
  • Gray Blocks: Doors that must be unlocked
  • Red Blocks, Moving: Moving red blocks
  • Currents: These move whatever blocks are in them (be they switches, player placed blocks, etc)
  • Lasers Blocks**: These blocks shoot lasers from one point to another, but can be blocked by a placing a block in front of them
  • Crumbling Blocks **: These blocks would fall apart when stepping on them

*Yet to be determined
**Not yet functional.

So.. what's the point of this devlog?
Mainly to motivate myself to write a full 50 levels. I'm currently on 23/50, and still have some more types of blocks I want to add. I'm hoping that by starting a devlog, I can get some feedback, and start generating some questions, that will help motivate myself to get a move on, and to also get a good idea as to what the game still needs, and how I should continue work with it.

and finally...
Pictures (so you can see what it actually looks like!)

I also have a

if people are interested in seeing it in action.

Cheers! Any feedback, is of course, welcome... Grin
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:27:22 PM by Noel » Logged

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »

This game seems to be coming along just nicely since PegJam.  I look forward to playing the final version!

Get them levels done!

Hand Any KeyAngry

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:28:18 PM »

Thanks man Grin I'm slowly progressing on the levels.

Today however, I have added Laser blocks. They're pretty cool. Basically, you can block them by shooting your blocks into the path of the lasers, which holds them off for a short while giving you time to jump past them. I think it will definitely add some interesting puzzles in later levels, where you have air currents moving around blocks and such.

Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:03:26 PM »

Okay, so, I've spent the last few days ironing out some bugs, and then today I started building some more levels (2, to be precise). Things are coming together really well, and I actually only have about 25 levels left to do and the game can be called finished Grin

Also, I've put together a new video today, featuring levels 20-25, and some awesome music made by Alec.

MalcolmLittle
Level 0

Hear me say as the pavement whirls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:58 PM »

Wow, looking good!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic