Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:58:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPaddle Wars: Hit The Wall (Beta 1)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Paddle Wars: Hit The Wall (Beta 1)  (Read 12586 times)
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »

Video available on:

Hello TIG people!

I made a really cool paddle game, a game so cool that to me the past paddle games are boring (really, not kidding), what I added to it is simple, instead of waiting for power-ups (and everyone know that waiting is boring, even worse waiting on something random) you can just press a button and then unleash your magnificent powers, press "W" and then suddenly time slows down, you can more easily reach the ball and catch that bonus item... But wait, you don't want to use the ball, press "A" and you shoot, yes, you can play the game as a shooter if you want, and never use the ball. Or if you are finding yourself rather greedy, not wanting to waste a single bonus item, you can press "E" and attract them all to you, but wait, now the ball decided to come too... rather interesting, you can just make the ball orbit you, create a curved path, and maybe never bump the ball, and get some bonus score.

So, you want to play it and explore the other powers? Come and join the beta, it would immensely help! Information about it on this link: http://blog.agfgames.com/2010/12/10/beta-started-first-competition-donate-for-mac-version/

Here are some photos of the game for those curious.. click to see full-size. I may put more later.

Game mininum requeriments:
I have no idea... But it uses OpenGL.
Also, only windows binary is available, for Mac or GNU you have to compile yourself (download the windows version, with all the stuff needed to play, and compile the binary).

EDIT: Entire post edited to make way to beta. Thus keep in mind the some posts below may refer to Prototype Version 2 or 3 instead of beta.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:44:27 PM by speeder » Logged

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:48 PM »

It's an interesting idea.

I noticed one bug for sure, when finishing the level, I had to click a few times to get it to switch... This spawned a couple balls which died. I'm not sure if other things I noticed were bugs or features as I didn't understand the language that the game is in.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »

On the title screen there are a flag that allow you to select the language (it has portuguese and english).

Also, after you finish a level, the game waits some seconds so you have time to grab all stuff falling, and later to render bonuses, scores, etc... You don't need to do anything other than wait.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »

And finally, you REALLY need Windows, it does not run on Wine (but if you manage to do it, please tell here how you did it!)

Worked fine for me under Wine without doing anything special.

What would John Carmack do?
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »

Nice!

Anyway, Wine people, know that then it MAY run... (Average Software is the first one to report that it worked on Wine)

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »

I implemented DUMB! The music library

The next version thus will feature music \o/

Well, if I find music to put...

ThomasTC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »

Works on Wine here too!

I'll give it a swing and type my comments here...

On the Game Select screen, the text in the top left "Paddle" box made no sense until I clicked a paddle in the right box. Maybe you should swap the two boxes, putting the description on the right. Also, show the unavailable paddles in some way, for example like question marks. The "Level Default" paddle should then be something else, though...

One thing that always annoys me about Breakout clones is how hard it is to hit that last block. This is mainly because most of them give you little control over the ball. In this case, I had that problem with the rectangular paddle, but I liked the concave paddle a lot better... maybe you should just make that the default and remove the choice altogether?

The ball seems to have a pretty random, unpredictable bounce every now and then. This may be intentional, but I don't like randomness in games. This is more of a matter of personal taste than a real critique.

I really like the "neon" graphics style; it's well worked through and the fonts match up. Maybe you could make some things "pop" a bit more by "overexposing" the central parts of lines, etc. So you'd have a white (or light blue) line with a darker blue glow around it. This could also help to make the ball more visible amidst a lot of falling debris.

The sound effects sound a bit harsh, too much like square waves, but I like how they have different pitches. They don't get annoying.

On the second level, I created a second ball, and died right after. Maybe you should not let the player kill themselves like that, but just prevent them from creating that ball. When I die, I tried to exchange my "power bars", but I wasn't sure what they were. Most bars on the left are empty and I couldn't click that option.

Anyway, it's not clear at this point what all those bars do. The white "wall" bar goes down 100 if I create a ball, never goes up again, and I have no idea what it does. The yellow bar is probably for time limits, but I don't have a limit in this level yet. The blue one also goes down 100 when I create a ball. The green "pentagon" bar is very mysterious to me... the purple one is probably about some powerup or special move that I don't yet have. Maybe the bars should be hidden in the levels where they are not yet being used?

I'm also unsure about the numbers. The big thing down the left is obviously my score, but what's the 1,000? And where are those green numbers flying to, if I catch the debris from broken blocks? They go to the 1,000, and then the 1,000 overflows into my score, it seems. But why are the numbers green if they don't go into the green bar? Better make them the colour of the corresponding bar instead, and add a + for increase and a - for decrease.

That's about all I have to say... I didn't play for very long, and I suck at Breakout so I only got to the third level.
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:15:43 PM »

Hello!

Regarding the selection menu: I will disable it for a while (there are nothing to select anyway...)

Your problem hitting the last block: You would not complain if you played some more levels (but no problem in that)

The ball movement is completly deterministic, only that it has two issues: First, it is not clear that the ball can spin (the ball DO spin, but you can only notice the spinning if you play attention to the anti-aliased pixels rotating :/), and Box2D has some bugs that Erin said he has no clue how to fix (mostly, the ball tend to "snag" on walls).

Thanks for the suggestion Smiley I will try to do it somehow...

Yes, they ARE square waves Tongue Good hearing of yours. I softened them a bit for the next version.

Oh, if I prevent the player from dieing, he will never die... I made more clear on the tutorial for the first level, how much balls you can do before dieing, and also on the version 3 (skipping the next one) the bar will warn you that it is ending.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Please other TIG people, I need more feedback! I cannot fix what I don't know it is broken!

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:32:52 AM »

Version 2 is up!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/paddle-wars-hit-the-wall

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »

We got featured on IndieDB spotlight :D

http://www.indiedb.com/features/indiedb-video-spotlight-july-2010

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 02:27:02 PM »

Version 3 is up!

On IndieDB or on my own site.

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »

Hm...a Breakout game that's actually fun! It's certainly more interesting than any other ones I've seen.

I'll have to play this some more.
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 07:06:10 PM »

I actually did not wanted to make a breakout game, because they usually suck and are boring... But suddenly some nice ideas popped in my head, and I decided to make a breakout game with those ideas only to see if they were good enough to make a non-boring breakout game :D (I am not even fan of the genre...)

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »

Looks like we both have something in common. We hate Breakout.
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

Hey, can you people help spread the word more? If you  have no friends that like the genre, at least tweet about it, or upvote this reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/d43ty/paddle_wars_hit_the_wall_cool_brick_busting_game/

I am really needing Smiley

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 08:55:03 PM »

I added a "Fluid Grid" feature, what you people think of it?

http://www.indiedb.com/games/paddle-wars-hit-the-wall/videos/fluid-grid#imagebox

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:37 AM »

A Geometry Wars style grid, eh?

Too bad I can't really tell what the grid is responding to. Can you tell me?
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 07:31:36 AM »

The grid reacts to gravity manipulation powers.

This is why I added it in first place, as an extra feedback for when you are using those powers, specially if the screen has no moving objects (if you pay attention again in the video, when the grid distorts, the ball make curves too, because I am pulling/pushing the ball)

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »

Seriously, CAN YOU PEOPLE GIVE FEEDBACK?

I mean, I don't posted here to build-up marketing, actually the first version of my site asked people to don't spread the word, what I need is FEEDBACK.

It is like a month that noone complain, of anything... I know that my game is good or something, but it can't be perfect, it is not even done, there are flaws, can you people PLEASE point them to me? Even if the flaws are purely in marketing, I mean, if you don't play the game after visiting the topic or seeing elsewhere, why not? If you play the game, why you stopped playing? If you really like the game for whatever reason, what you would like me add to it? Can you people PLEASE write SOMETHING? I mean, ANYTHING that is NOT praise? I don't want praises, I don't want marketing, I don't want glitz, I want FEEBACK. I posted the game here, and not in announcements, for that reason.

</rant>

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 07:16:28 PM »

Well, first of all, if you want feedback, don't rant for a paragraph about it.

Second, have you changed anything with your game recently? The reason I stopped playing it was because the difficulty curve was too steep. The controls were a little too complicated and hard to use (particularly the gravity). And I just realized I never told you. Shame on me.

Anyway, if someone plays your game and doesn't like it for whatever and they offer feedback, they're not really going to want to play the game again until you change something about it. So your best bet is to update stuff to keep people interested. And if you feel like the game is done, then release it officially! And post it on a bunch of different forums and see what people think of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic