Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:30:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpectrum Boy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spectrum Boy  (Read 2698 times)
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »

EDIT: Project completed

Hey guys and gals Smiley

I'm finally at a stage where I felt like starting one of these threads. If nothing else, updating my progress will hopefully motivate myself to keep working.

PROJECT BRIEFS

Title: Spectrum Boy

Team: Me. Well I did everything except the main character sprite. I found it on the net and the author gave me permission to use it. *UPDATE: * I've since added sound effects and music, which I got from free (legit) sites off the internet.

Engine: HGE (C++)

Development time so far: About 13 weeks

Release available in: OUT NOW!    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9752697/Spectrum_Boy_Release_v_1.0.rar

Youtube Video

It's really choppy...don't have much experience with youtube

Premise: This is a puzzle platformer mainly inspired by Braid. The concept is pretty simple. Most objects in the game world are either grey, red, green or yellow. To interact with objects the character's torch MUST match that object's colour. For example if you want to climb a ladder, your torch must be the same colour as the ladder otherwise you simply won't collide with it. The exception is grey which can always be interacted with. You can store up to 3 colours at once and can 'pop' back to the previous colour by pressing a button. The gameplay is to figure out how to use the colours to navigate to all the baseballs in each room. New sub-mechanics are added on each floor (enemies, teleporters, explode colour).

Notes:
  • This is my first attempt at an indie game
  • I chose something fairly simple because my main goal is to finish it!
  • There's more mechanics than what's shown in the video, but I don't want to spoil/reveal everything just yet Smiley

To Do list:
  • Bug fixing

Updates:
  • 14/7/10 - I decided the title was too misleading without any story to back it up (previously called 'I Missed the Baseball Game'. People that want a baseball game would be disappointed because it's not. People that don't like baseball won't check it out. Double whammy! Anyhow, I think the new name's more catchy and I promise I won't change it again until I decide on a final name.
  • 18/7/10 - All mechanics are in game and working
  • 21/7/10 - Added 5 levels
  • 24/7/10 - Added another 6 levels. Will add sound and music before releasing. Haven't extended my deadline but will probably need to.
  • 27/7/10 - All levels are now in game. Game is playable from start to finish for the first time.
  • 31/7/10 - Bit more art polish. Added simple save/load system
  • 04/08/10 - Downloaded a bunch of free sound effects and music and shoved them into the game  Grin.
  • 04/08/10 - Released Beta version.
  • 04/08/10 - Unfortunately I've planned to leave the project as is after I fix a few bugs. It will not have a story (which I really wanted to do...) or additional mechanics, and you will have to live with my own art. I've worked on the project for 3 months and I really want to do something else. I feel that it's fairly complete as it is now anyway so I think in the end...goal accomplished   Beer!
  • 07/08/10 - Released Final Release version. Game is considered done

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:39:51 AM by G-Factor » Logged

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

I love this amazingly.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »

I see a huge influence from Braid on this. Still looks pretty cool though.
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:44:58 AM »

More bugs with moving platforms if I set them up in certain ways...gah...I hate these things! I'm not going to bother fixing them anymore, I'm simply going to design levels around these problems.

On the bright side, I coded about 1/2 of a new sub-mechanic. Should be able to finish it over the weekend. After that all I need to do is get all my levels back into this engine and I should have a playable demo. I decided to add a deadline for myself for motivational purposes! I've set the demo release at 4 weeks from today. I'm thinking 2 weeks to do all the levels (hopefully close to 20 of them), and leave myself 2 weeks for final polish and bug fixes. This includes doing some art for stuff that are just boxes at the moment such as enemies.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:54:17 AM »

Achieved my goal of finishing the rest of the new mechanic by the end of the weekend. The game is now feature complete. Need to port the levels back them I'm all good. When I say 'port' I pretty much mean writing the level files from scratch because my new framework doesn't support the text files I used for the prototype. But it should be really easy to do.

I'm going to knock a whole week off the expected release date of the demo

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »

I started to port my levels today. I've done 5 so far. It's been MUCH less painful than I anticipated. I thought that once I started to add levels it would expose bugs in my mechanics. But so far...no bugs encountered. All the levels play exactly as they do in my prototype. I think I will release my prototype as well when I'm done...to show my development process.

I should able to hit my self-imposed release deadline. BUT...and I know this is major feature creep, I'm thinking about adding sound and music before releasing it. If I do this...I will most likely not make the deadline.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:29:35 PM »

Added another 7 levels. The only time I had to go back into code was to fix a minor teleporting bug. 6 more levels to go! I've also made the decision to get sound and music into the game before I release it...so I MAY have to extend my deadline by a week or so.

Entar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 08:56:16 PM »

I think the foreground graphics could use some work, but otherwise this looks like a solid game concept. There's definitely a lot of potential here, particularly if you mix in a couple more mechanics, like enemies or traps that only hurt you if you're holding the right torch. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this one.  Smiley

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »

Thanks Entar  Grin

I've got all 20~ish levels into the game framework now. It is actually playable from start to finish. I'm amazed at how easily everything went. What I did in a week...I thought would take at least 3. The final 'feature' I have to implement is a simple save/load system, which I already have an idea of how I want to approach it. After that...a bit more polish (try to make the art a little better), then I guess I'm all done.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:09:02 AM »

Added the save/load feature. Wow...I guess I'm actually all done, it's kind of a strange feeling  Corny Laugh

I'm still in two minds whether I want to get sound and music in for the demo. In any case, I'll probably release it in a week or so.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 06:09:36 AM »

Added sound and music

Beta version now available at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9752697/Spectrum_Boy_Beta_v_1.0.rar

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 12:35:02 AM »

Fixed a few more bugs and uploaded a final version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9752697/Spectrum_Boy_Release_v_1.0.rar

Possibly my final post in this Devlog.

Thanks all!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic