Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:52:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Meeting: Psychic Cat Herd Adventure [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Meeting: Psychic Cat Herd Adventure [FINISHED]  (Read 10043 times)
moop
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »

Meeting: Psychic Cat Herd Adventure

Description
A brief introduction to the troubles of a psychic animal control officer.

A congregation of cats has gathered and must be dispersed. Thanks to a rare gift you can mind control the cats, generally this makes your job easy. Today is an exception, there is a swarm of cats and they are sneaky. Determining which mind you are in at any time is the key. The intention is that this will become a puzzle game of sorts.
             Inspired by

Download
Mac OS. Windows. Linux.

How to play
There's an in game tutorial but the jist of it is WSAD cluster, space bar, escape to quit.

You mind control a random cat, try and work out which one it is and guide it out of the house. Rinse and repeat.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:42:40 AM by moop » Logged

moop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »

It's probably about time I posted an update. I've mostly been battling to get everything working on Windows as well as OS X and faffing around to get a bunch of engine stuff working.

Here's a work in progress screenshot:

So far the cats walk around, fall asleep, walk on and scratch at the furniture. I should have time to get some actual gameplay in before the deadline. If I'm lucky there will be enough time to fix up my programmer art too. Smiley

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »

I hope you're prepared for useless comments about cat butts.

hi
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »

CAT BUTTS
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »

Hey look, cats with butts! I didn't know cats had butts. Holy crap.

It looks pretty interesting, though whoever built that house needs to see a better contractor. That can't be nice during the rain season. Tongue

Hope to see more progress.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
DrOctapu
Level 0

Brutally modest.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 01:01:27 AM »

Hey look, cats with butts! I didn't know cats had butts. Holy crap.

It looks pretty interesting, though whoever built that house needs to see a better contractor. That can't be nice during the rain season. Tongue

Hope to see more progress.
If it had a roof you'd have to crawl, a cat gets like 1.5 - 2 ft and that house is about as tall as two of them.

Add me on...
 Desura | Steam
moop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »

It is a game full of cat butt. It's hard to have them walking into the screen without it. Tongue

I've done nearly everything except getting any gameplay in so far, but the internal behind the scenes stuff to support it is in there finally. Fingers crossed I'll get started on turning it into a game rather than a cat wandering simulator tomorrow.

I also fixed the proportions of the world and made the outside environment a bit nicer to look at.

There is a downloadable Windows version here: http://moop.org.uk/~moop/agbic/demos/meeting_win32_280710.zip
And a Mac OS (Leopard and up) version here: http://moop.org.uk/~moop/agbic/demos/meeting_macosx_280710.zip

For now you basically just get to watch the cats wander, but any feedback on how it runs on various systems would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:44:48 AM by moop » Logged

moop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 12:56:45 AM »

I've uploaded a playable version I would have used had the competition ended today. It's fairly complete but missing some animation and there is no sound. See the links in the first post or below.

Windows
Mac OS

As it stands I'm going to spend the extra time improving the gameplay, adding animations for jumping cats and adding sound and music. Also I need to fix the graphic showing the original cartridge, which doesn't work on Windows currently. Sad

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:45:09 AM by moop » Logged

Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:10:09 AM »

I enjoyed playing it however I saw 2 things that need some help, first of all with the way the system is implemented it isn't very clear whether it is better to spam the WASD or hold the key down. Secondly when there are less and less cats available the cats falling asleep becomes a greater problem because you cant really awake them easily and you cant control where they walk.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »

Wow.  This game is infuriating.   Like owning a cat.  Cheesy
moop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 06:47:50 AM »

I just put a new version up. The jumping animations are in but a bit rough and there is now a Linux build.

Windows. Mac OS. Linux.

moop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 08:22:55 AM »

I'm going to call this the final version. I won't have any more time to work on it before the deadline. Sad I've added sound (which can be muted with 'M' since I'm not evil enough to force anyone to listen to the yowling maelstrom for too long) and a hard mode which is closer to the original intention.

Hopefully it's still enjoyable in the current state. I've learnt a bunch through making it at least so it's not a wasted effort. Thanks everyone who gave feedback.

Windows. Mac OS. Linux.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:08:35 AM by moop » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »

I wasn't too sure about this entry at first but when I played it I was sold.  This game has a fantastic concept, and a good difficulty since those cats can DISOBEY.

Also the sound effects really confused my cat and it was hilarious.
 Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

hi
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »

Good fucking cheese those cat sounds make me want to kill something. WTF

Other than that it was an interesting... experience. The meter on top wasn't really very helpful in my experience, and I'm not sure there's enough here to make it a more interesting and fun game, but what is here is fairly good.

The graphics make it look quite surreal.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 05:54:50 AM »

This has some very clever concepts. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I do feel it lacks a little replay value, but the concept could be expanded and explored a little more in-depth. Good work.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic