Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:08:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Together Fight! : Friendly Hat Spirit [finished : rev1]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Together Fight! : Friendly Hat Spirit [finished : rev1]  (Read 38104 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »

TOGETHER FIGHT! : FRIENDLY HAT SPIRIT

DESCRIPTION:

A boss rush shooter where you start off by yourself and fight a single enemy by executing key combos to send his projectiles back at him.  Different sizes of projectiles have different combos; larger fireballs require larger combos. Every once in awhile the boss throws a friendly character toward you that you can capture by executing the appropriate combo. Doing so adds to your strength and gives you a friend to fight alongside you.

Also you wear a flying hat that lets you fly and turns words that you say into magic spells. I'm going super literal for this one. This is basically just an excuse to make a ridiculous shooting game with a happy song, possibly with karaoke lyrics.

INSPIRATION:

CONTROLS:

Arrows: Move!
Z+Z+X = Small Trap!
X+X+Z = Medium Trap!
Z+X+Z+X = Large Trap!
X+Z+X+Z = FRIEND TRAP!

:DOWNLOAD COMPETITION VERSION:

:DOWNLOAD REVISION 1:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:47:56 AM by moonmagic » Logged

|
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »

Yes

Yes

Yes

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »

The character will barf three different kanji that will capture projectiles, and a fourth for friends:

勇: cheer up! (small)

為: try! (medium)

勝: victory! (large)

曹: friend! (rescue)

I think capturing combos will be the same (for use against projectiles), but friend combos will always be different, to walk the line between Chase Goose and Canabalt, as it were. Friends flying alongside you will issue their own spells in conjunction with yours, so if there are a lot of small projectiles, you shout "cheer up!" and so do your friends. Then those small projectiles that are hit by your spells return to the boss.

|
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »

I'm liking this idea plenty.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:56:34 PM »

The main player sprite (will just recolor for friends! and possibly add different hats, if time):

His four different poses: flying, slowing down, flying while speaking, slowing down while speaking. Strung together in a gif.

EDIT:

Also, his flying animation, since I didn't want him to be static.

Yes, he flaps his arms.

Using the NES palette, EXCEPT pixen keeps lightening when I make new layers, so I'll have to recolor it in PAINT. RIDICULOUS. So disregard the shifts right now.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:50:26 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
Curseman
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »

Looks rad.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »

Little mockup. I'm going to use NES resolution limitations, too, so the screen will be a little taller. Obviously not using sprite limitations; just colors. I'm basing my monster designs off of Ultraman. This is Bemular.

|
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:08:57 AM »

What an awesome idea! Good luck with it.
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:30:19 AM »

1. This is a really interesting idea!
2. I'm pretty sure I'm going to suck at this game already.

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:40:59 PM »

Ok, there is a small demo up!

Included:

* The background for the first stage
* Our little hero
* The three basic spells

I implemented a version where each firing key did something when pressed by itself - Z was a puny offensive shot, X was a bullet-killing shot, and C was a shield - but then changed it back to my original idea because I want it to stay simple. Plus, then you would have to shoot to execute combos (unless there was a timer system that waited to fire until after a combo failed, which would make each kind of basic shot useless, and a shield useless as well, since they were all designed around immediacy and holding off an enemy until a combo could be executed), and that might mess up scoring. Like, if I want to play Ikaruga as a Dot Eater, I don't want to have my guns fire when I switch colors.

As it stands, I'm planning on allowing each trap to have a time limit before it will home in on the enemy. The more shots you trap before homing, the more damage you do and the more you score. Shoot an empty trap at the enemy and you lose points. Chain together a bunch of traps without missing, get a bonus multiplier. Don't let your traps hit any other bullet types, get bonuses. I'll add funny sound effects when you press the buttons so the user gets some good feedback. I think I'll have the mouth open, too, so it seems like you're combining phonemes into workable spells.

-EDIT-

His mouth opens when pressing buttons, now.

-EDIT EDIT-

Some monster sprites. The first is the tutorial monster, who teaches you how to play and attempts to kill you in a genial fashion. Shimada Mage! I'm going to have her throw random Japanese junk. Then there is a throwing-fireballs animation for Bemular.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:50:31 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:33:07 PM »

This game is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS

I love the light colors.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 02:09:12 AM »

New demo!

Shimada Mage throws some fireballs in a messy sine wave. Match your traps to the fireballs to fight back! Chain for big points! Combo for big damage!

No deaths yet. No collisions with bullets possible. No hat friends. Third bullet / trap is not in. Untrappable bullets: not yet. Working on the trap sprites.

-EDIT-

Two out of four of the Friendly Hat Army:

I decided only to have four dudes to rescue because then I can balance the powerups you get, instead of a generic do-more-damage power-up.

Planned:

+ Frog hat (Allows your spells to draw appropriate bullets toward them from a short distance)

+ Raccoon hat (Don't fire to charge the wave; wave fires with next spell, automatically changing bullets in its path to the appropriate size)

+ Rabbit hat (Allows the "rescue friend" spell to absorb bullets, which power a protective shield)

+ Wolf hat (Fires a blast when charged that does damage based on how many bullets you have absorbed in one shot)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:15:33 PM by moonmagic » Logged

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »

Two new screenshots!

Changes:

- Lots of placeholder sprites have been replaced.
- Finalized the chain mechanic.
- Friend rescues are in.
- The rabbit friend actually does something! You get a shield.
- You can kill the boss!
- The boss can kill you.

Demo link at the top of thread.

|
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 11:27:08 PM »

I'd like to be able to just restart in-game, and I actually think it's a bit difficult currently. Perhaps lighten the amount of bullets? I probably just suck at this though.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »

Having the friends following you reminded me of the "kids" part of the game The American Dream by newton64

http://www.newton64.ca/games/index.php#awndo
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 05:19:54 AM »

@Inanimate:

Yeah, I should have put in a restart before uploading; next version! My next priority is finishing up the rest of the friend powers, and balancing the monster's attacks. I think I'll save the current bullet pattern until the second half of the health bar.

@allen:

I'm always amazed to see what people can do during other competitions. I'll have to try it the next time I'm in Windows (OS X right now).

|
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »

Man I really love the way this is shaping up...

hi
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 12:43:09 AM »

Things I have done!

- Finished the powers for each of the hat friends.
- Wrote better bullet procedures for the boss; should give me more control and tighter patterns.
- Included a "How to Play" screen.
- Made this title screen:

-Made the introduction screen for stage 1.

Still to do:

- Balance bullet patterns for the first boss (so the scoring isn't totally stupid)
- Pixel a "you win" screen / score tally
- Make a high scores table
- Make a story screen for the attract mode
- Music
- Sound

|
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »

Awesome demo, but sounds and music are just what this game needs.  Can't wait to see this one finished!

Side note, the controls at the head of the thread are different from the ones in game?

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 05:28:39 PM »

Oh, you are totally right!

Small trap: z z x
Medium trap: x x z
Large trap: z x z x
Friend trap: x z x z

Also, that's still an old demo, and doesn't have the most recent updates. Will upload again when I make more progress, and modify thread when not on a phone.

|
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic