Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:21:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Together Fight! : Friendly Hat Spirit [finished : rev1]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Together Fight! : Friendly Hat Spirit [finished : rev1]  (Read 38042 times)
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »

No wonder I was only able to do attacks by randomly mashing z and x!
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 11:41:36 PM »

Made some songs:

FIGHT TOGETHER

I think this is the theme.

DANGER HAIR

This is the fight music for Shimada Mage.

I'm trying to stay pretty simple, like early- to middle-aged NES games.

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 03:17:54 AM »

Ok, I finished what I intended. One stage, sound and music, completely functional superhero team chaos.

Bemular didn't make it into the competition version, but I'll keep working on this, and he'll make it in eventually. I think you will fight him on the moon!

Let me know what y'all think! I'm excited to play the other entries, but now it is sleep times.

|
Curseman
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »

You have made a glaring omission.

The blue guy doesn't have the shades that are clearly depicted on the game's cover.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 07:24:15 AM »

I was going to make up something, but I realized I could use the shades as a future powerup.

|
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »

Wanna play really bad, but it crashes when I run it.
DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »

Saw this game on the indie games blog (http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/08/freeware_game_pick_together_fi.html) and came to play it. Took a few tries to beat it but I got a playthough recorded of it on youtube:

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »

@Kicks: Terribly sorry! Are you getting an error message of any sort? Can you run other Game Maker games?

@DarknessKight: Thanks very much! I'm honored. Make sure you introduce yourself over in the main forum, too! I'm moving your video to the top of the thread.

|
☠️
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »

Great game!

It took me a minute to catch on to the mechanics, but it's quickly become a personal favorite of mine for this competition (A competition that is chock-full of great ideas and gameplay, to say the least.)

Your sprites have a fantastic mid-eighties feel. Great representation of the source material.

The 'speaking' that the character does brought me back to those mid eighties games as few other retro indies have ever done.

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »

SILLY EDIT

Nevermind!
I had two folders open--reg folder and zip folder--and didn't realize I was trying to run the zipped one.
4 Realz feedback in a bit!
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »

Started working on the moon stage today, for Bemular. A mockup:

|
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »

This is a creative and fun shmup. The mechanics of attacking the bullets work pretty well, and rescuing the friends gives the game a little something extra. Very nicely done.

The difficulty gets pretty insane before long, though. Once the boss starts shooting fans of small bullets, it is nearly impossible to deal any damage. Your attacks get eaten up by the small orange bullets, no matter what angle you fire from.

I found the control to be a bit annoying. There doesn't seem to be any real reason to make firing require multiple button presses. All it does is make it more difficult to get the character to do what you want it to.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 11:46:16 PM »

Now this is one neat little game. The mechanics work quite well in my option, and I love the graphics and the music. Hope to see more of it in the future. Grin:handthumbsupR:

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 11:55:35 PM »

Thanks for playing, both of you! I had (am having) a lot of fun making this.

The difficulty ramp for the competition version is pretty steep, I agree. I found myself creating patterns that would allow for good scoring combos, but it gets too hard too quickly. I was going to adjust the difficulty of each boss once I'd created the final boss, because then I'd know how hard it was going to get, but I ran out of time.

I'm of two minds on the controls. There isn't a lot of reason for the combos, but I do like the deliberate quality they give the shooting. Maybe I'll create an alternate control scheme for the final version that involves holding action buttons. Like R-Type. How Cave.

|
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 03:13:14 AM »

Ok! There is now a second level! After defeating Shimada Mage, you go on to fight Bemular, the first monster from the Ultraman tv series (my main inspiration for this game, aside from the cartridge). On the moon!

New this version:

- Bemular's stage
- Bonus lives every 50,000 points
- The lucky sunglasses bonus (chain 20 shots to trigger it)
- Toned down bullet patterns for Shimada Mage
- Pause feature
- Quit requires confirmation
- General fussing

Still need:

- Alternate control scheme and tutorial
- Proper ending
- Third (probably final) monster
- Some other secret ideas I still have need to be added

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:48:40 AM by moonmagic » Logged

|
DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 05:56:41 AM »

the link is set up wrong. It is http://www."http.com//www.lazercatz.com/hatman/together_fight_rev1.zip" when it should be just what is in the quotes.

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »

I should know better than to make these posts at 3 in the morning. Fixed, sorry!

|
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »

Wow, this game has eluded me somehow - until now. Although it's a bitch difficulty-wise, you've just nabbed a vote from, well, someone else. Great job!

EDIT: yeah, but we want more lives and extra lives at every 40.000.

Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »

Nice, I really do love this game! Very very fun mechanic you played with there  Wink

Ive almost finished another level in Sandy, however I didn't know you could update it if the voting was still going  Epileptic

Edit: Man, I really really liked this game. Can't believe it didn't do better : /
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:26:27 PM by Pocketninja » Logged

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:59 AM »

Thanks very much, everyone who voted or commented! I haven't been back to the computer in awhile, since the new school year started on Monday and I have a whole class of Kindergarten students who need to learn how to do everything.

@Gyorgy: I'm still playing with the lives and the bonus life mark; I'll take another look at it. It remains pretty hard for me, too, so that's perhaps a bad sign.

@Pocketninja: Glad you enjoyed the game! I kept the competition version up, but I wanted to reflect recent changes that I'd made before starting a devlog. Sorry if it was confusing. I really like Sandy Evolution, by the way. If you can't tell, I'm generally fond of slower-paced, pattern-based sidescrolling shmups, and the Kirby ability was fun, too.

|
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic