Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:05:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRage Racer Xtreme
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rage Racer Xtreme  (Read 6203 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:46:08 PM »

April n Booster's up for bid, so I guess I'll start somethin new. So far it's kind of a prototype. I'm aimin for it to take about a month.

HERE YA GO!

I'm not so sure about exactly what I'm makin here. Is this a racing game? Is it more of a weird beat-em-up? What's the focus? I'm not sure. I thought of it after playin a lot of Excitebike; all I do in that game is take down the other bikers, and that's why I play it. Then I saw

for a prototype Road Rash and decided my next game would be about bikes. This video also played a role,

. Also I don't make enough funny games. I like when I do, but for some reason I never do.

Here's some concept art for the main guy. I was trying to draw a guy that looked like he was foreign, like maybe northern Europe style? Poland, Finland, Russia, you know what I mean.

I'm not a racist ffs.

There's a couple ideas I've got nailed down:
  • You will be able to smash other guys off their bikes.
  • It'll have a 90s arcade aesthetic: Really flashy title screeb, loads of power-up noises, "thugs" and also "punks", and a character select screen like MARCO!!
  • You can hit sick ramps to boost your star power. With a full bar, you can switch your weapon to a sawn-off for a few seconds and obliterate guys.
  • The game will open on "THE YEAR IS 1999. ALL PUBLIC ROADS ARE GOVERNED BY RUTHLESS BIKER GANGS."
  • There will be two difficulty settings: ROUGH and TOUGH. They will be exactly the same.
  • At some point, a guy in a truck will be throwing barrels at you.
but other than that I'm not totally sure where this is going.

I DON'T MAKE DEVLOGS TO CUM OVER MYSELF, I MAKE EM COS I WANT AS MANY SUGGESTIONS AS POSSIBLE!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:49:08 PM by I_smell » Logged
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »

Hey stop cumming over yourself already! It looks cool though, I think one character should have a chain as a weapon and there should be a level or part of a level inside a sewer pipe.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »

One o the first things I drew was a guy with a chain. And YES!! ONE OF THE LEVELS SHOULD TOTALLY BE IN A SEWER PIPE. I would've never thought of that, but I guess you mean like in the old Ninja Turtles arcade game or something. I was actually worried I wouldn't be able to come up with any good environments.

Hey stop cumming over yourself already!
Yeah that's my way of saying I hate threads that are all HEY MAN, GOOD WORK, KEEP IT UP! Cos that's not what I want at all.
increpare
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »

I spent the first several moments avoiding the ramps because I thought they were bananas.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »

Gonna be honest: I am probably not gonna fix that.

I updated the link in the original post and got you a playmate.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 07:23:06 AM by I_smell » Logged
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »

There will be two difficulty settings: ROUGH and TOUGH. They will be exactly the same.
Brilliant.

Also, a level on top of a construction site with a lot of tricky jumps would be fun.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »

See this is why I need these threads.
It hadn't occured to me yet that I could have you actually jump OVER stuff as part of the game.
ElijahKatz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:59:57 AM »

it would be cool if the way you got certain items (like road signs) is ripping them out of the ground as you drive by  Crazy

or if you destroy someones bike you can pick up parts and throw them at people  WTF
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 03:49:41 AM »

I completely missed the demo link the first time. It looks good so far, I think it needs more slutty biker babes and some good quips, like for example:

"In Rage Racing there is only one rule:
  Respect your bike.
  Respect your woman.
  If you drink too much then you can hit your woman a bit."

commodore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 04:11:58 AM »

I'd tone down the lines on the road. They are too in your face with their full white colour.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 07:37:32 AM »

Ok I updated the link in the first post.
It looks different now. I basically decided what I ideally want this game to look like, and drew something completely different to that, so I can build up to it later. So level 1 is this kind of Vegas desert road.
The other advantage of this is that it looks all washed-out n relaxed, so it'll suit how easy the game starts off before everything just goes nuts.
I just started thinkin of what a boss could be on this level and the first thing I thought of was, obviously, a giant robot scorpion. I'm gonna see if I can make it through just one game without having a giant fuckin robot that shoots beams everywhere :|
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:51:49 AM »

Disappointed that this isn't about

, but your proto does look pretty cool indeed.

I spent the first several moments avoiding the ramps because I thought they were bananas.

Perfect.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »

UPDATED!!

Ok the guys can die now. I've bin playin around with how many enemies I can have onscreen, and I've found out that the more enemies there are: the less fun it is. Any more than 3 and they just take up the whole road n squash you. So I'll have to think about that.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Fill your star power n press SPACE to get the shotgun for a bit. I tried to make it the most absurdly powerful shotgun in the fucking world, so check that out.

Oh and yes, you'll jump higher if you lean back while in the air, incase anyone was wondering.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:02:43 AM by I_smell » Logged
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »

UPDATE!!!!!!! I stopped workin on this for a couple days but now I'm back on it.

Ok so there are sick huge gaps in the game now, and those are workin pretty good. I also added a douchebaggy moped guy for comic relief. And guys can come in from the right, left or bottom now.
Here's where I'm stuck though: What enemies do I put in this game? I can think of boss fights easily, but enemies- I aint got shit!
I've done the generic guy that gets up beside you n whacks ya. What else is there in a game like this?
I'll introduce guys with guns in a later level, but..
I guess I could have guys that get in the same lane as you, then turbo-charge forward (or back) like those fisty guys I did in Crunchdown.
Maybe I could have a guy that gets up next to you n grabs you so you can't change lanes n you have to- mash the attack to get him off, or something? That sounds really annoying.
Maybe I could have a guy that leaves a trail of... somethin harmful behind him.

Can't believe this; I've bin tryina think of ideas all day and now 3 come out of nowhere!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »

Deer that runs out on the road.
Doesn't just have to be people.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »

I would've used the deer idea, but then halfway through drawing it I thought what the hell is this guy doing in the desert, and why is he crossing this road?
But I'll definately put pedestrians in the next level.

CHECK IT OUT, I think this is all of the first level:
Dammit, why can't these forums embed Youtubes?

I still think the game is too quiet and boring. I wish I could make games like Super Briefcase or Noitu Love 2 or something that're all flashy n punchy n shit.

On second thought this boss is lame. It needs a second function other than just the barrels.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:08:08 PM by I_smell » Logged
j0d1
Level 0

indie@montreal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »

I like it a lot ! Smooth animations, nice jump effect.

How about reloading the shotgun a-la-Terminator? (

)

And a little annunciation when a hole is approaching ?

I still think the game is too quiet and boring.

Maybe by making the enemies more aggressive, you won't have this feeling.

I\'m currently making the game Commander.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »

To make the game more intense:
1: Music. Pretty obvious.
2: Weaker and more abundant enemies. (Aside from bosses) Would you rather swing at a single enemy a few times till he dies, or be taking out tons of bikers, at least one per swing?
3: More stuff in the background. Have the occasional tree (or cactus in the desert) Fly by the screen on the back of the road. Have him on a freeway with cars and bikes going the other way behind him. Would help the sense of speed too.
4:Have more stuff that doesn't really make sense, or is at least very impractical. Have a plane fly by over head that drops bikers out of it. Flaming Kamikaze bikes that explode after a few seconds! The possibilities are endless!

Idea: Forest level. Then put deer in it.
Also: Potholes. Wouldn't do that maybe just put you off balance and unable to move for a second.

Boss idea: Tank comes up behind you, half off screen. It shoots giant tank rounds that you have to dodge. You can't damage it directly, but stuff on the road would fly by and hit it.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »

How about reloading the shotgun a-la-Terminator? (

)

YOU'RE SO RIGHT. I should just go n watch Terminator before carrying on.
and maybe I'll give some warning before holes, but right now they only just give you enough time to react. It's specifically short enough right now that you can never master that part of the game and just hit em every time.
I mean it give you like a full second, and all you have to do is press up or down. The ramp is 2 lanes wide.

To make the game more intense:
1: Music. Pretty obvious.
2: Weaker and more abundant enemies. (Aside from bosses) Would you rather swing at a single enemy a few times till he dies, or be taking out tons of bikers, at least one per swing?
3: More stuff in the background. Have the occasional tree (or cactus in the desert) Fly by the screen on the back of the road. Have him on a freeway with cars and bikes going the other way behind him. Would help the sense of speed too.
4:Have more stuff that doesn't really make sense, or is at least very impractical. Have a plane fly by over head that drops bikers out of it. Flaming Kamikaze bikes that explode after a few seconds! The possibilities are endless!

Idea: Forest level. Then put deer in it.
Also: Potholes. Wouldn't do that maybe just put you off balance and unable to move for a second.

Boss idea: Tank comes up behind you, half off screen. It shoots giant tank rounds that you have to dodge. You can't damage it directly, but stuff on the road would fly by and hit it.

1. I'll add music last. I wanna make sure the game is hardcore enough without music, so that when I finally do add music it will be 110% badass.
2. Good idea, I'll test that theory. But like I said- I've only got 4 lanes to work with.
3. True. The next level is in the city, so that'll probably happen.
4. YES. This game definately needs more straight-faced goofy shit happening; that's exactly what I need more of.
And what you said about the plane reminded me of an Action Man toy I wanted when I was little which was a plane that shot a bike out of it, and now I really wanna do that idea.

I probably won't do a forest level.
Something like that tank will probably happen eventually, but not that.
ElijahKatz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 01:13:07 PM »

Something that would make it more badass and help you with adding crazy stuff is putting it in  a mad max style post apocalyptic world. Also what if you move your bike with arrow keys and attack in different directions with WASD.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic