Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:50:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRage Racer Xtreme
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rage Racer Xtreme  (Read 6207 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »

Those are kind of good ideas, but I'm not gonna use either of em. Here's why:
There are enough post-apocalyptic games out there allready.

There's no real reason to complicate the controls. The attacking is really binary: If a guys to you left you attack left, and if a guy's to your right then you attack right. If it ever got to the point where you were weavin between guys while hittin guys like SMASH TV or Geometry Wars or something, then I'd split up the controls, but that doesn't happen.
Also, the way it is now, you CAN use the mouse to attack. That means you never have to switch between the mouse and the keyboard, cos you're allways on both.
I'm really big on controls, cos I HATE keyboards.

UPD8!!
I added a cactus field that you have to manuevre through, a couple other small things, and the upgrade system. I tried to make the upgrade system significant, and as simple as possible.
Anyone who tells me the cactus field is too hard will likely be ignored.
The second attack upgrade is a hammer. Not a sledge-hammer or a novelty hammer or anythin like that; I mean a genuine fucking hammer. Should be funny. Also, when you upgrade, it'll play welding sounds for a couple seconds REGARDLESS of whether or not it's appropriate for the upgrade.
I think I'm about to start level 2.

EDIT- That's not 100% glitch-free btw.
And I'm not totally happy about the upgrade art...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:08:29 PM by I_smell » Logged
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »

so what does hitting cactuar do in the game?
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 07:44:42 AM »

Same as hittin any other cactus.
ElijahKatz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:53 PM »

sounds good.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »

Yo here's level 2:

The fire effect WOULD be better, but I had to scale it back a bit because o the framerate.
Hopefully this is where shit just goes crazy. I left in some footage of level 1 so you can see me upgrade ma speed. What happens right after this part is the oil tanker rolls off the bridge and a stealth jet sweeps in and drops more angry bikers on the road.
I'm thinkin a good name for this game might be ROAD TRIP RAMPAGE? The story is that he wakes up in a hospital and bikers on the other side of town have his girl, so- y'know- Road trip. But I don't know about the word "rampage".
And now I start thinkin about the next enemy, which will be guys on sport bikes instead of Harleys. I need to think of a good enemy behaviour.
Game still feels dull.
j0d1
Level 0

indie@montreal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »

Sexy!

I\'m currently making the game Commander.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »

UPDATE

Two new enemies, new upgrades, start of level 3.
Jus to show I'm not makin this shit up off the top o my head, here's an analysis of both:

The first new enemy is the ninjas, they come in red, yellow n blue:

I thought I'd only ever add ninjas if it was totally necessary for a game, but in this one they just kinda fit the 90's-arcade-game aesthetic so well.
When the guy at the back raises his sword, they are invincible. If you try n attack em, they''ll retaliate. In this mode they're AI is aggressive and will come after you.
When his sword is lowered, you can hit em, and in that state they're AI is evasive: Like they'll run away from you.
They're death animation is the old ninja smoke-bomb trick, and sometimes they drop out of jets. They are faster than you, and get higher jumps for no reason other than because they are ninjas.
The point of this enemy is to combat anyone who's got too used to the game and knocks out all the enemies soon as they see em. Also these enemies stay tough regardless of how much you've upgraded your attack or speed.

Enemy #2: Punks:

Very simple: They explode after a few seconds. No melee attacks, very simple AI, they just blow up. They've got very low health so you can knock em out in one, and they laugh just before they explode. I want more enemies to laugh, it's a very Metal-Slug thing to do.
I'm gonna draw more punks. I expect I'll flood you with em at some point, so I want em to have like 3 different random heads.
The point of this enemy is that you beat all the other guys by rollin up next to em and hittin em. There hasn't bin much evade gameplay yet, and y'know, variety is the blah blah blah.

In level 3 you can see the second speed upgrade, and how it makes you a complete badass speed-wise.
I still need to add some random pipes to the background of level 3, and make it splash when you touch down from a sick ramp.
Oh and I still need to add the welding animation to the upgrade thing.
I had a good idea to turn the jet in level 2 into a boss. It can fly overhead n drop fat bombs, it can drop ninjas, or even touch down to the road n minigun the 2nd n 3rd lane. You'd attack it by whackin it's nose from the left or right when it touches down.
Do I wanna use that up in level 2 though? It means I'd have to come up with a new boss for the ending, and comin up with bosses in this game aint easy.

The game feels slightly more upbeat now, especially with the punks, I like those.
Starting to feel a bit janky/broken though. I changed the controls a slight bit n I can't get it to feel fluid AND glitch-free at the same time :/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:02:47 PM by I_smell » Logged
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »

These are the level 3 upgrades for each thing. Jus to be clear: You upgrade things individually. So if you go for the level 3 speed then your attack n defense will be level 1.

There's not much to update because I'm at the last level. There's a marathon of bicyclists who you knock over just by touching them, and then they all knock each other over in a horrible domino effect, so that's kinda funny.
The final boss is the stealth jet:

It attacks you n stuff. Any suggestions still appreciated.

I just had an idea for an extra boss and I need to write it down: A bus wit There is a guy on the roof with a revolver.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:59:13 AM by I_smell » Logged
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 02:08:40 PM »

cowboy riding a bionic horse wielding a lasso.
a viking cruse ship(swimming pools and meed halls) and the enemies are riding on Ikea improvised bikes(nuts and bolts falling off when hit.) the player will have to park his ride on top of a paddle boat that some how due to the hard landing makes it possible to ride on water. Leading to the giant lazy boy mech which has to be beat by smaking the visible nut and bolts that holds the thing together(while on water). 
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »

No they're all too ridiculous.

INTRO'S DONE.

Actually there's a couple screens after the title screen just to kick off the story, but that's pretty much it.
Opinions? Did I overkill it?
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 02:23:32 PM »

No they're all too ridiculous.

INTRO'S DONE.

Actually there's a couple screens after the title screen just to kick off the story, but that's pretty much it.
Opinions? Did I overkill it?
wait you got cactuar, a stealth bomber dropping bikers.

oh kay what about granny tries hit you with her car?
is that not tipping the crazy scale...

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »

Guys with swords on bikes was gonna happen sooner or later, and droppin bikes out of jets is a recognised concept. It all links back to fightin guys on bikes.
Cactaur is just a cactus, he blends into a cactus field pretty easy so I can get away with it.
A cowboy on a bionic horse is just like what the fuck- Who is this guy, where did he come from, why is there a bionic horse here, why is he after me, etc. It doesn't blend into the game, and neither do vikings.
Also none of those things were a cliche in 90s arcade games, unlike ninjas, punks, sunset backgrounds, enemies that explode, or jet planes.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »

Guys with swords on bikes was gonna happen sooner or later, and droppin bikes out of jets is a recognised concept. It all links back to fightin guys on bikes.
Cactaur is just a cactus, he blends into a cactus field pretty easy so I can get away with it.
A cowboy on a bionic horse is just like what the fuck- Who is this guy, where did he come from, why is there a bionic horse here, why is he after me, etc. It doesn't blend into the game, and neither do vikings.
Also none of those things were a cliche in 90s arcade games, unlike ninjas, punks, sunset backgrounds, enemies that explode, or jet planes.
oh i'm sorry I meant by bionic I was thinking a horse with robotic parts or a half horse half bike sorta deal.
though when I played this first I got a WTF feel to it with the jumps and ninjas.
so any middle ground like bike riding robot-vikingspirates with sunglasses that explode with you hit them?
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »

Game's fuckin done yo!!
Ok well it's like 90% done. It's up fr bid on FGL right now though, so if you're a Flash savvy sonnovabitch then you can play it right now and hopefully write down some feedback.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic