Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:08:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] 8-bit Towlr Theory [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] 8-bit Towlr Theory [FINISHED]  (Read 7241 times)
deathtotheweird
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:37:56 AM »

8-bit Towlr Theory

Inspired by

Description

A towlr.

Quote from: Towlr.com
 + What are Towlr? +

Towlr are puzzles. Contrary to conventional design wisdom, the towlr games come without instruction and without explanation. Your job is to discover their secret, and score deliciousness. Yes, every Towlr game can be completed.

Towlr are complete audio/visial experiences. They should be played with sound at a reasonable level, and computer monitors turned on.

Towlr may frustrate you. This is normal.

+ Cake flesh is moist +

Download  

Web Browser

I couldn't really decide on a case until I came across this one last night. It reminded me of towlr, for whatever reason. I like towlr so I thought I'd make one. Kind of a cheap cop-out I guess but I did enjoy making it, only took a few hours anyways (aside for 3 hours of fixing bugs). It is beatable, but I can never judge the difficulty on these things. I hope I didn't make it too easy, or too hard.  Shrug
edit:
Just changed it a lot, probably for the worse.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:30:11 PM by allen » Logged
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:30:14 AM »

Figured it out pretty quick < 10 tries.  It was a bit irritating that I struggled more with the implementation of the solution that I did in realizing what the solution was.  Otherwise a good example of the genre.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:19:53 AM »

I figured it out on second try. Nice idea, though I found it hard to SPOILER aim the 'cannon', because I had to move my mouse out of the screen

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:32:27 AM »

I figured it out on second try. Nice idea, though I found it hard to SPOILER aim the 'cannon', because I had to move my mouse out of the screen

Hm, I forgot to turn on mouse lock. I meant to do that because I didn't want people to right click and go to fullscreen.

I would have preferred it the other way around (hard to figure it but easy to do). Little bit of fail on my part. Oh well, no use crying over spilt towlr.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:32:40 AM »

Interesting, but eh.
frederiksen
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »

it took me 21 tries, but i'm not very smart. i always seem to look for the wrong things like color changes, (for a while i thought the buttons were color coded to the thing on the left)[/color].
increpare
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »

Figuring it out amused me [though it didn't take too long].
Vinnie
Level 0

funzo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:04:14 PM »

It was fun. 6 tries because I'm amazing.  Shrug

Plus I like songs. And cake. And songs about cake.
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »

figured it out on my third try (not counting the first try, before i knew the controls) but i gave up after shooting the wrong damn spot so many times.  figuring it out is the only real barrier that matters in Towlr, i always thought.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »

It is cool the whole "figure it out" thing but I agree it's hard to control, there should be a way to know where your cannon is pointing at other than trial and error.

Would make a cool puzzle as a part of another game, reminded me of those "figure it on your own" puzzles from the old click and point adventure games.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »

The difficulty in aiming really ruined this game for me. A targeting line would have made the experience so much better. Heck, even if the main object was assymetrical, or pretty much anything other than a rounded square, it would have been a big improvement!

The basic idea behind the game isn't bad, but if the core mechanic is solving a puzzle, than the biggest obstacle shouldn't be struggling with the controls.

The changing colors are also a bit of a red herring, though this may have been intentional.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »

changing colours was intentional, yes.

I just changed the build so there's a pointer, didn't realize that was such a problem.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »

That makes it noticeably less frustrating. At least now I won't lost the instant I press the LMB because I didn't know which side the laser would come out of.  Smiley

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 05:48:38 AM »

I hate those towlr games, they make my brain hurt. This one took me 18 tries. Interesting interpretation of the cart. I think most people would have made something to do with Japan or the Japanese flag.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 06:23:06 PM »

Yep, no idea how to work it. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic