Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:00:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallRezerk, a sequel to Berzerk
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rezerk, a sequel to Berzerk  (Read 2535 times)
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »

I've just released Rezerk, my own personal sequel to the classic arcade game Berzerk.

The humanoids eventually triumphed over Evil Otto (the most terrifying video game villain of all time, having killed two players in real life!) and his robot army.  They smashed Otto into four pieces and began looting his fortress.

However, one robot escaped their notice, and now it seeks to rebuild its evil master...

In Rezerk you take control of Evil Otto's last remaining robot.  In each stage you must evade or destroy the humanoids while searching for the four pieces of Evil Otto.  Each piece must be placed in the repair bay in the center room of the level.  When all four are assembled, the level is complete, and things get harder.

One room in each stage contains a map, which if found will make it much easier to locate the remaining Evil Otto pieces.

Windows users need to install OpenAL in order to play.  The Mac version should run as is, the Linux dependencies are detailed in the manual.  The Windows version also runs great under WINE, if for some strange reason you feel like using that instead.

Here are the usual screenshots:

Downloads are found here.

The game is GPL3 licensed, and the complete source code (commented!) is included with makefiles for all three platforms.  The source included in the downloads assumes you have all the necessary libraries already set up.  The required libraries are OpenAL, libogg, libvorbis and FreeType.  The source in the Subversion repository (address is on the download page) includes all of the necessary libraries to build the Windows and Mac versions, Linux users can get the development packs for your particular distribution.

The platform-independent parts of the code are written in Ada, with a little bit of C.

The Linux specific code is in C++.  GCC 4.3 or higher is required to compile the project.

The Mac specific code is in Objective-C.  Apple's developer tools, and the GNAT GPL 2010 compiler were used in development.  Other builds of GNAT may work as well.

The Windows specific code is in C++.  I used TDM GCC to build it, other MinGW forks may work as well.

Happy hacking!

What would John Carmack do?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »

Ah, I forgot to check up on it earlier after I couldn't get it to work. Works fine now.

This is such a fantastic game, even though I'm terrible at it. Really nice touch on the artwork in the screen mode selector window.

My first game I was able to beat the first level without dying but I got royally owned on the second level.

Are there just endless levels or is there an end game?
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:44:55 PM »

Really nice touch on the artwork in the screen mode selector window.

I wish I could take credit for that, I stole it from the Atari 5200 boxart.  I own the game, so I don't feel so bad about it.

Are there just endless levels or is there an end game?

It just keeps going.  This is meant to be an 80s arcade sort of game.  The levels eventually get larger, reaching 5x5 and 7x7.  I'm pretty sure I didn't do 9x9, I'd have to double check the code.

My current high score is 9900.  I should go beat that.

tempestad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:51:14 AM »

Awesome, I made a happy face! I really enjoyed it :) And I built my first ADA program too (Linux x86-64). Had trouble finding "gnatmake" though, after some searching it looks to be included in the gcc-ada package, didn't find any info about this in the manual provided.
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »

Awesome, I made a happy face! I really enjoyed it Smiley And I built my first ADA program too (Linux x86-64). Had trouble finding "gnatmake" though, after some searching it looks to be included in the gcc-ada package, didn't find any info about this in the manual provided.

I'm glad to hear that it works on 64 bit Linux.  I haven't been able to get Slackware 64 working on my hardware yet, so I never got a chance to test that.

Ape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

Very nice! I logged many hours with the original Berzerk for the Atari 2600 when I was young. Your concept of being the last robot in Evil Otto's army is a cool game play motivator. The game maintains the classic vibe of the original but it also feels new and, most of all, it's still fun!

Are the levels randomly generated? I take it you're using OpenGL. Perhaps, to boost performance, you could combine the images into sprite sheets.

I wish I could take credit for that, I stole it from the Atari 5200 boxart.  I own the game, so I don't feel so bad about it.

Yeah, I agree. Really liked the simple but powerful old box art in the resolution selection window. Ha ha. I'm getting nostalgic for when the cartridge art on Atari games looked better than anything real-time computer graphics will be able to do for the next 30 years. 

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:37:21 AM »

Very nice! I logged many hours with the original Berzerk for the Atari 2600 when I was young. Your concept of being the last robot in Evil Otto's army is a cool game play motivator. The game maintains the classic vibe of the original but it also feels new and, most of all, it's still fun!

Thanks, glad to hear you like it.  I had the 2600 version of the game too, but one of my friends had the 5200 version which just blew it away.  I've since started collecting 5200 games, and I got the idea for this when I found I was playing Berzerk more than anything else in my collection.

Are the levels randomly generated? I take it you're using OpenGL. Perhaps, to boost performance, you could combine the images into sprite sheets.

Yes, the levels are randomly generated.  Is performance an issue?  If you're referring to the frame rate, the game is intentionally throttled to around 120-150 FPS.  Unrestricted, it runs at well over 3000 FPS on my system, which is just excessive.  I toned it down to save people's laptop batteries/CPU coolers.

Yeah, I agree. Really liked the simple but powerful old box art in the resolution selection window. Ha ha. I'm getting nostalgic for when the cartridge art on Atari games looked better than anything real-time computer graphics will be able to do for the next 30 years.

I was always amused at the fact that the game "screenshots" on the backs of the boxes were all artist renditions too.  None of them were ever quite right.

madscijr
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »

The download link doesn't seem to be working anymore, can you please post an updated link? Thanks.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic