Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:02:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFLaiL
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: FLaiL  (Read 19985 times)
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 02:23:57 PM »

About 5-4: I haven't beaten it yet myself, but I've gone past the point you 're stuck in. Avoid the 4th gravity token altogether, and let the 3rd token reverse gravity. Then after you swerve past the 4th token, you can hold on to the bottom ledge.

You can also avoid token 1 and 2 altogether, making the level a lot easier. Just jump right, then dash and hold on to the ledge.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »

v1.1 is now up with a few very small bug fixes, nothing that affects gameplay unless your control scheme happens to have jump and up mapped to the same key.

About stage 5-4: try holding jump as you hit the G power-ups Smiley

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

Woo, got to zone 8!

However, how the crap do you get past 8-6? I can't see any obvious route.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »

About stage 5-4: try holding jump as you hit the G power-ups Smiley

Ah, nice!  Knowing that I beat 5-4 and 6-7, and unlocked zone 7!  Thanks!

(I'm addicted to this game. Kiss)
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »

Aghhhh... as much as I want to, I can't get this game Sad it frustrated me (I guess it's supposed to) so the following post is probably more harsh than it should be.. so take it with a grain of salt  Tongue

It has lots the aspects of platformers that I don't like.
- Press a button to respawn (I forget and get frustrated waiting)
- Gravity-switching (I can't get my head around it)
- Extremely floaty controls combined with tiny platforms (self explanitory)

The 'fly' button is incredibly frustrating for me... about 80% of my deaths are releasing the button before it's fully charged. I don't like waiting in games where I die a lot, so I don't usually want to wait the second for the fly to charge up - I press the button, press the direction I want to go, then I release the button to go.. but that just makes me fall. It seems uneccessary to make the player wait. My Xbox360 controller made it slightly more frustrating because the analogue stick is in a funny position and I end up putting it diagonally up+right when I want it to be straight up.. but that's a stupid Microsoft ergonomic design issue  Angry

The menu should be more fully controllable by the controller.. I was glad to see the main menu having controller support, but then the profile creation didn't. It really broke the nice flow by telling me I can't just press the button on the controller, I have to use the keyboard... and the name selection as well, had to type the name in when a 'left/right = select letter, up/down = change letter, button 1 = select' system could have worked just as easily.

I guess my main gripe was that I couldn't get the hang of the controls. That's probably my fault though,I'm not good with controls.

Oh, and one thing I noticed is that the artwork is sort of all-over-the-place.. some parts have fancy effects, the background is mega-pixelly, the sprites are another style again. it's odd. (okay now I'm just being cruel Roll Eyes )

EDIT: Oh, one more thing, the characters just aren't very memorable. The cool part of Jumper was... Ogmo! Ogmo is awesome. These little things aren't. I don't care if they live or die. Ogmo, on the other hand, seemed to look so sad to me when he fell down the screen...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:46:42 PM by Radnom » Logged

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 12:54:13 PM »

Two updates:

v1.2 is uploaded, fixing a fatal bug in Zone 8 if you have particles switched off in settings.  Other than that there's no changes.

A member of the Helix Forums has created a Timetrial Database for top scores.  You can submit your scores by uploading your stats.txt file that FLaiL automatically outputs every time you play (after you've unlocked the Stats menu).  For some reason there's a bug where you have to submit at least 1 score manually before the text file method works, though.  If nothing else, it's a cool resource to see what stages you could improve in.  I'm thinking of talking with the guy who made it, and working with him to integrate it into my site and make it look a bit better.

X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 07:03:22 AM »

Thats an Epic Fail for my TIme where I  realy want to code on my stuff  Smiley
Great depressing game :D

But World 8 is EVIL!
Hwo the hell did i manage the UP/DOWN laser G section on 8-7 ?
When i collect the Gs i doesnt have enough space to move to the other side :/
ANd only 1 Boost

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »

Thread Resurrection! This game is really great. I'm missing 4 levels in world 8, and then I've finished. Some of these levels are ridiculous!  Shocked

My main gripe is the inertia. The movement system in this game is so different from other games that I find my self crashing into walls/mines/lasers/etc. all the time. However, if that were changed the current levels wouldn't be possible, would they? Once you get a hang of the movement, this game is awesome. Maybe not IWBTG, but close. Close  Lips Sealed
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

And I'm okay with it not being quite like IWBTG.  One of my goals with FLaiL was actually to prevent frustration as much as I could while still making the game extremely difficult.

Oh, and v1.3 is out now, but all that's changed is the link to my site, to reflect the move.

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 02:11:37 PM »

At first I thought the jumps were a bit sensitive but it works well in the context of this game, and especially the fly feature is great.

The music is nice. Kind of reminds me about playing on Game Boy.

The only thing I can complain about is that it wasn't possible to close the game window (not even with Alt + F4). But the menu exit worked.

I got stuck for a while (for a very silly reason) in Zone 2-2 but then I saw the pillar above. Even if that particular level wasn't difficult, what I want to say is that the puzzling platform design is great! I'm now stuck again in Zone 3-7.

The ability to see the whole levels makes them challenging in a way, thinking "I can manage that jump!" even if it's in fact really hard. It's hard to stop trying too, since you "see" the solution. Smiley

xius
Level 0

QWERTY pwner

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 04:41:28 PM »

Addictive. When I finally get used to controls' sensitivity it became really spectacular to just play.
Two players mode is gorgeous. I almost pissed myself while trying to play it with my roommate. (in Golden Axe he used to *accidentally* killing me)

Also I found out an interesting fact about my keyboard: key down can't be pressed while right or left is pressed. It seems almost impossible I hadn't noticed it before but hey, I'm not really a platformer guy.

Welcome to my signature, adventurer!
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »

I think that's a problem with a lot of keyboards -- if you hold down certain keys the computer won't accept inputs from others. Mine makes beeping noises :S

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »

So, I've finally beaten the game. I finished every single stage (including 8-10. Shudder), and I've unlocked every cheat. The cheat system works really well, by the way.

The one thing I can't figure out is a trophy that's appeared in one of the levels (somewhere in world 3). Doesn't seem to be interactive, what's its purpose? Huh?
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 05:28:39 PM »

That's just a golden statue of Ogmo from Jumper.  It appears after you've beaten every stage I believe.  Just an easter egg.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic