Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 11:58:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Flash dev on Linux
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash dev on Linux  (Read 1524 times)
Kekskiller
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:13 AM »

I'm learning ActionScript at the moment and am looking for some ways to code and compile it on Linux. I know it works with Eclipse and AXDT, but well - for me, Eclipse is a piece of junk and suffers from horrible instability problems on Ubuntu 9.10/my Linux system. I'm able to compile my AS3 files sometimes, but most of the time Eclipse freezes GUI parts of itself, disables menus and such - I really don't know what's goind on there.

So yeah, as may notice, I'm not a big fan of Eclipse. Does anybody know how to get this working different? Cest case would be a pure terminal compilation since I'm comfortable with gedit and command line compiling.

Thanks in advance for everything useful.
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »

You can do a command line compile with 'mxmlc' which comes with the Flex package. For editor you can use anything you want of course, but I prefer Vim Crazy.

Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:52:24 AM »

I do command-line Flash development from Linux.

You want to get the above-linked mxmlc, but then instead of directly calling that, use my script fcsh-wrap. That will speed up compile times.

The only required argument to mxmlc/fcsh-wrap is the name of your swf entry-point (i.e. Main.as). That said, my makefile currently looks something like this:

Code:
OUTPUT := fall-inwards.swf

ifdef DEBUG
DEBUG_FLAG := true
else
DEBUG_FLAG := false
endif

all:
fcsh-wrap -optimize=true -static-link-runtime-shared-libraries=true -compatibility-version=3.0.0 --target-player=10.0.0 -compiler.debug=$(DEBUG_FLAG) Main.as -output $(OUTPUT)

clean:
rm -f *~ .FW.* $(OUTPUT)

.PHONY: all clean

Kekskiller
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »

Thanks for your replies, guys. I'll test mxmlc next morning, I'm done with Flash for today.

You want to get the above-linked mxmlc, but then instead of directly calling that, use my script fcsh-wrap. That will speed up compile times.
What's the purpose of this script? I'm not sure if I want to use a script that looks like a lot but also like... nothing. From the code in your script I don't see why it speeds up compiling time nor what it does exactly.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »

I used this on Linux a couple years ago: http://arthurdick.com/projects/as3/

Back when I used that it, it needed a little adjustment to get the one key build+debug to work. The XML build file needed a small change to get it to work, but it was something very weird and not documented anywhere so I'm fairly sure that it was a bug. The thing I linked hasn't been updated since then, but maybe the bug was fixed in the Flex SDK/Ant?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:06:11 PM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »

What's the purpose of this script? I'm not sure if I want to use a script that looks like a lot but also like... nothing. From the code in your script I don't see why it speeds up compiling time nor what it does exactly.
Sorry, I realise I could do better on the documentation side. Have updated the readme, hopefully it is clearer?

Basically mxmlc is really slow because it compiles from scratch every time. The tool fcsh solves this problem but introduces others of its own, so fcsh-wrap is a script to get the improved compile times without having to use fcsh directly.

Kekskiller
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:44:29 AM »

Holy fuck Draknek, that's pretty fast. Good stuff you did there Hand Thumbs Up Left .

But I have to mention that using spaces in folder names doesn't work so well with you script :O
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 02:19:57 AM »

Ah, so you can't do this:
Code:
fcsh-wrap 'Folder name/Main.as'
Is that it?

I will have a look and see if I can easily fix that.

Kekskiller
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 02:33:47 AM »

Nah, I meant when specifying the fcsh path. I have mine one in "flex sdk 4.1", it told it couldn't find the folder "flex" and so.
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:56:51 AM »

Ah right, in that case you can do this:
Code:
FCSH_COMMAND = "'/path/to/flex sdk 4.1/bin'"
With two sets of quotes.

Kekskiller
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 02:58:36 AM »

Ah, ok. This should work better.