Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:24:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlWorld of Goo Stage - Fisty's Bog
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: World of Goo Stage - Fisty's Bog  (Read 5926 times)
BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »

The Goo balls didn't know that they were in a stage for a fighting game, nor that their destruction was inevitable in the hands of recognizable fighters. - The Forum Poster

If I may suggest, it'd be nice to do the World Of Goo stage sometime soon.  I need an excuse to work on this more, and this level would be the perfect reason.  I just don't think the pumping station would be the best pick.  It's an interesting level in the game, sure, but I don't think it really stands out that much, or would make the best indie brawl level (especially since to keep any look of the original it'd be enclosed, which doesn't work for a level-out type fighting game.)

I think Fisty's Bog would both represent WoG as an iconic level and also make an interesting level to fight on:

Corresponding to the numbers in orange:
1. Sections of the level after taken high levels of damage could break apart.
2. However goos which wander the platform would quickly fill the holes back in.
3. I don't know why I'm including this number, but I think it'd be a funny touch to have the balloon goo that is released by the broken platform to fly away.
4. New Goo would spawn within Fisty's mouth and wander out when the Goo repairing the platforms grows too thin.  Also players could wander into Fisty a little bit, having the safety of the only solid platform on the level, although it might be nice to add another grass topped dirt platform or two along the goo platform.
5. The spikes below don't kill the player but instead bounce them back up after taking damage.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:08:59 PM by BoydTheMilkman » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:54:02 PM »

There was a fairly recent conversation on this topic:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2855.msg389047#msg389047

The conclusion was that, while the Regurgitation Pumping Station was the originally-planned stage, Fisty's Bog would make a good stage, too. Either could work.

As for your specific suggestions... that stage doesn't look playable. The only reasonably-sized safe spot is Fisty's back- the rest of the stage may as well not even be there. And the last thing the stage needs is even more hazards falling from the sky.

Either a version of Fisty's Bog closer to the one in the above discussion, or the Regurgitation Pumping Station* would make for a more fun stage.

*The plan was that a goo platform would drift back and forth on top of goop, and that deadly gears would cover the left and right sides of the stage. Occasionally, the platform would drift dangerously close to the gears.

PS: In the future, don't create a thread for a stage unless the topic has already been discussed.

BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »

My apologies. I was playing World of Goo recently and got too carried away.

As for the stage itself, I think the proposed design would work. My design is way too hectic, as you have said.

I think there may need to be more safe spots for that design though.
BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »

Sorry for the double post:

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »

WOW. That ballon gooball looks really awesome but the rest seems kinda uneven. The big gooballs seems too close to my screen and the structure seems too far from my screen  Blink

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »

Great to see someone working on this!  I attempted to start working on it after I posted about it, but my lack of skills in the way of the pixel were too great and my attempts were very poor  Sad

Also, that balloon looks great.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »

WOW. That ballon gooball looks really awesome but the rest seems kinda uneven. The big gooballs seems too close to my screen and the structure seems too far from my screen  Blink
Yea I was trying too hard to emulate Kyle Gabler's style Shrug I'll fix it later.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »

Bear in mind that the Goo Ball is already an item, and should not be included as a stage element without differentiating it in some way.

BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »

Bear in mind that the Goo Ball is already an item, and should not be included as a stage element without differentiating it in some way.
Yes I know, if you notice my goo ball doesn't have a blank stare and looks as though he has somewhere to go. I'll probably animate him to make him more noticeable.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

Why not? It can travel around in the stage links until they're broken, then they bounce all over the screen as pick-ups. It would work great!

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:07:12 PM »

Why not? It can travel around in the stage links until they're broken, then they bounce all over the screen as pick-ups. It would work great!
Because two objects that behave differently should appear different, so they don't confuse the player.

And if they did behave the same, it would be incredibly unbalancing. Goo Balls are one of the most powerful items, and some characters can take advantage of them more than others.

Consider that Liero can score an instant kill every time he gets a Goo Ball.

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »

Oh, I had no idea.
In that case, what if the ones in the links are eyeless? That should help differentiate.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 09:46:42 PM »

Yeah, that would work perfectly. Especially since there actually are eyeless goo balls.

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »

Well, those aren't exactly the buildable type in WoG, but I think that would be the best way to distinguish them from the item easily, so I say that's good.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 10:14:51 AM »

Playing around in GM and I got this, maybe it can help you make the level or something.. ( I just want to feel helpful :| )

http://www.box.net/shared/g1qpqd9dxi

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic