Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:13:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] 2061 [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] 2061 [Finished]  (Read 14805 times)
deathtotheweird
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »

Inspired by

Description

You crashed and wrecked your ship on a strange planet. Find an escape.

Download)  

Windows
Mac
Browser (not recommended but if you do-press F5 for fullscreen)

My second game for this comp. Thanks to increpare for linking me this script on the unity forums and playing his latest game I was reminded of this cart. Without that I probably wouldn't have had the inspiration to make this.

extended post competition version: http://alllen.tumblr.com/post/935465191/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:24:49 AM by allen » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »

I decided I would go ahead and finish it. The premise is mostly the same but it's no longer a 3rd person platformer. Finished it last night and a few hours today and didn't have enough time to hunt for bugs, but hopefully there aren't any major ones.

Should take 15 minutes to beat. There's a radar in the upper left corner if you get stuck. You really won't need it though.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:41:07 PM »

Nice vector graphics!  The ship from 2001:  A Space Odyssey was perfectly rendered in wireframe-form.  (I like how the sound effects were from that movie, too).

Platforming was a little hard and felt imprecise, but most of this comes from the fact that it is 1st-person.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »

I just fixed a completely huge bug that wouldn't show the ending when you found all three items. Hopefully I fixed it. So stupid I didn't notice it earlier.

Yeah platforming in 1st person isn't that intuitive, but as long as you take your time and not rush it should be fairly easy. The ending isn't too special (though I do like it) so you aren't missing much anyways.

if it's confusing, the only goal is to get the four items. the last item doesn't appear until you get the first three, and it's in a very accessible place.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:07:49 PM by allen » Logged
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »

The particle FX and sky box really added to the creepy atmosphere, but beyond exploration there really isn't much to do. 1st person platforming is hard, you could have made it 3rd person by removing the Camera components from the "Main Camera" in 1st person controller prefab, and attaching another camera to the "Main Camera" only set back to view the player object.

How did you make unity start up without displaying the screen size options?

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »

Yeah I know how to make it third person, I just don't want to. Would kind of defeat the purpose of the atmosphere and the kind of game I was going for. Would also make the sound effects silly (the breathing and the oxygen hiss).

Plus it's not that hard, it's just not ideal. There are two endings and not much is different, so if you find it too hard just jump off the map.

and as for disabling the res dialog:
go to edit-project settings-player and then disable the display resolution dialog

cool shot of the end:
spoilers dont click if you dont wanna be spoiled
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:55:03 PM by allen » Logged
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »

Gosh, that was the famicase I wanted to adapt in the first place !
Too bad I can't launch the game on my PC, either is browser or win standalone Sad

I'll try it tomorrow at the office.  Who, Me?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »

allen, you should remove the shot of the end. Surprise people man!

also, this was a really pleasant surprise. It was amazingly atmospheric, and using the sound effects of the movie fit extremely well. Like it's been mentioned, the platforming was pretty tough, but I pulled through. It got really tense when getting the item outside the continent. I did NOT wanna plunge down into that ocean of colorful madness.

It looks amazing. A really good job. Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »

ha thanks, you're right I removed the img and made it a link instead.

after a few complaints I decided to re-enable moving the character along with the platforms. so it makes it a bit easier, especially when getting the piece over the water.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 06:10:45 AM »

It seemed to spend an eternity with a blank screen and just the sounds playing. I actually thought it had hung for a moment. The subtle changes were nice as you collected the pieces. I didn't get the piece over the water. After a couple of fails I gave up as the game went back to that lengthy blank screen each time.

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 06:52:47 AM »

I had the same problem as Oddball. I also found it really frustrating that you had to walk on the platforms to keep from falling off given the difficulty of platforming and the 30-second wait if you fall into the sea. It's a shame since the game looks great and I would have loved to finish it!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »

He made you guys have to walk on the platforms to keep in them?

Why would you do that allen? WTF

deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:22:09 PM »

I had the same problem as Oddball. I also found it really frustrating that you had to walk on the platforms to keep from falling off given the difficulty of platforming and the 30-second wait if you fall into the sea. It's a shame since the game looks great and I would have loved to finish it!

that was in an older version. the one in the torrent and all the builds now you move along with the platform so you dont have to keep up, making it considerably easier.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »

Since I didn't have time to finish the ending for the competition, I made it as a completely separate companion piece. if you are interested in playing it, I put it here  

At the recommendation of ortoslon, I just added it to the main game as an extended post-comp version. the links are different from the original comp release and you can grab them here:

Hand Point Right http://alllen.tumblr.com/post/935465191/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:28:14 AM by allen » Logged
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 12:55:04 AM »

Mysterious! Who, Me?

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 02:33:58 AM »

Oooh. I like this a lot better now, probably one of my favourites of the comp. I can't see the intro or the endings though, what's with that?

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:18 PM »

allen, found a bug with the latest Windows version. If I alt+tab out of it and return, all the lines turn black and I can't see shit besides the particle effects.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »

Sorry about that, I just sat and tried to fix it. Numerous attempts failed, I really can't find the source of this bug(although easily reproducible) short of just reloading the entire level, which is less than ideal.

But since I had the game open, I thought I would change a few things, in order to alleviate some frustration or impatience.

The game will now restart at the pod when you fall off and pressing escape will now exit the game immediately. You can also press Space to skip the 48 second intro.

All the builds are up-to-date with these changes. Sorry about not being able to fix the alt+tab bug, I'll still look into it and ask around but for now just don't alt+tab.
frederiksen
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »

really loved it, the atmosphere is just spot-on. I didn't know anything about the movie connection (intro was black) but still i thought to myself while playing this would fit in really well with it. Than i got the third object and everything was clear(i haven't seen it in ages so i forgot about the vehicle at the starting point, i thought it was a robot) Is there any thought behind the 3 objects?
With the first object near the starting point you can cheat by jump-climbing the mountain.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »

really loved it, the atmosphere is just spot-on. I didn't know anything about the movie connection (intro was black) but still i thought to myself while playing this would fit in really well with it. Than i got the third object and everything was clear(i haven't seen it in ages so i forgot about the vehicle at the starting point, i thought it was a robot) Is there any thought behind the 3 objects?
With the first object near the starting point you can cheat by jump-climbing the mountain.

i keep forgetting to fix that glitch, thanks for reminding me.

the pen is in the beginning of the film floating in the shuttlecraft before the flight attendant grabs it (while heywood floyd is on his way to the docking station to go to the moon)
the chess piece doesn't exist in the movie but it's a nod to the scene where hal plays chess with astronaut poole.
the suitcase looking object on the top of the mountain is the case that houses the 'broken' ae-35 unit that hal mistakenly reports as broken.

the game isn't really connected to the movie or isn't any explanation or anything, it was merely a nod to one of my favorite films. call it a love letter i guess

edit: and the 2061 isn't another nod to 2001, it's a reference to Betelgeuse's harvard revised reference number in the Bright Star Catalogue
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:29:35 AM by allen » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic