Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 05:54:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlatform Explorer [FLASH - looking for feedback]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Platform Explorer [FLASH - looking for feedback]  (Read 7023 times)
TimMP
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 12:42:51 AM »

I think the naive MS Paint style is fascinating (personally I liked the scrambled look best - like in the first dev video). What people seem to suggest is just the normal pixel fare wich is nothing new.

The most interesting visuals usually comes from those who are not locked in their own prison of perfection.  Well, hello there!
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »

I think the naive MS Paint style is fascinating (personally I liked the scrambled look best - like in the first dev video). What people seem to suggest is just the normal pixel fare wich is nothing new.

The most interesting visuals usually comes from those who are not locked in their own prison of perfection.  Well, hello there!

I agree with this, actually. Or maybe not "the most interesting" but simply that, the visuals of this game are part of what interests me about it. I'm not sure I'd be *less* interested if the visuals were different but I do find them appealing somehow. Maybe it's nostalgia for older PC games that had 16 color palette and ended up with similarly bright colors? I dunno!! I don't care either =) I'm interested in this game...
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »

Dunno for nostalgia, i feel the same and i wasn't much expose to old computer graphics. But there is some kind of naive efficiency at works here. Lot of refined work try too hard and end up feeling "normal" or "safe".

jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 07:40:06 AM »

@ All
Thanks for the comments guys.  Um... I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm not a big fan of abstract, Cactus style of games.  I would actually prefer my games to be more "safe" in terms of the visuals. 
While I appreciate that some people may prefer a more bizarre / off colored style, it just isn't me.

In any case, I'm officially going to say that the game is done! 

There are probably some smaller bugs and I still need to work on some of the text - because there are differences in the way Macs and Windows embed fonts, what I see might be very different from what someone on a Windows machine does.

Because of the lack of bug checking, I'm not going to bother to make a Feedback post, just yet.  I'd appreciate some people giving the game a try.  You can play the game at:

Platform Explorer

So, if you would just play the game and tell if somethings doesn't work right.  I'm particularly curious about the following issues:
- Is there any stuttering in the game?  I tried to optimize the game as best as I could, but I encounter slow downs occasionally.  I wonder if other people do...
- Do levels load very slowly?  I thought that internally storing the code would make the levels load faster.  But, it only seems to have had a tiny effect.
- Is the game difficult?  While the link above only provides a 5 or so level of the game, if you think that these early levels are tough, then the game is going to get much harder.  Hopefully, I don't turn any one off.

So, yeah, if you could play the game and leave some feedback, I'd appreciate it!

In the meantime, I'll be looking for a sponsor as well as making a new game!

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 11:29:53 AM »

I didn't notice any slowdown while playing and loading seems much improved Hand Thumbs Up Right. Didn't see any bugs.

Difficulty was about right i'd say, I only played 2 levels though. The only offputting thing I found was that the art colours clash with each other (maybe that's just me).
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »

I have always beleived that your game have tons of potential, just missing good art execution:

OH MY GOD

you guys seriously need to team up!

edit: eh, didn't read the post about game being completed and stuff.
anyway, it works smoothly on my laptop, and difficulty isn't that hard.
game loaded a bit slow, but that's my lousy connection, so no biggies here imo.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:07:45 PM by davidp » Logged

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 12:37:12 PM »

You have great attention to detail in terms of animation sequences and how things should 'feel' in a platformer. The engine itself feels as solid and responsive as the early Mega Man series.

I wish you would change your art though Sad Alas, I'm not much of one to criticize, my art isn't exactly amazing either.

As for performance, seemed to run/load just fine, so no worries there.
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 07:25:47 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've been worrying about the performance of the game for some time, so it's nice to know that the game is running smoothly.  It seems to me that different computers run Flash at different speeds, so I hope that what I've created is actually what you guys play.

Thanks for playing and thanks for the positive comments.

If anyone is interested, the game received a 7 out of 10 developer's rank in Flash Game License!  Neat, eh?

Actually, there is one more issue - I'm not sure if the font is embedding properly into the game.  Could someone take a screenshot of the game while a text box is up?

The text should fit neatly into the box and it isn't on two computers that I tested.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:45:15 AM by jrjellybeans » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic