Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411841 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 09:34:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Games, Space, Architecture writings suggestions?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Games, Space, Architecture writings suggestions?  (Read 1559 times)
increpare
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »

Finally finding myself slightly comfortable with unity, I find I have very little three-dimensional inspiration.

So!  If anyone here is up on their architectural theory and could point me in the direction of some interesting books/articles I would be very appreciative.  Alternatively/in-addition, I'll mention any interesting stuff I come across in my meanderings on this thread.

edit:

currently browsing through Space is the Machine, by Hiller.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:40:16 AM by increpare » Logged
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »

Christopher Alexander has some great books on architectural design, and I think that they apply well to games. I think a Pattern Language is probably his most well known book. I've heard that it has inspired a lot of game designers, including Will Wright.

increpare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »

I think a Pattern Language is probably his most well known book. I've heard that it has inspired a lot of game designers, including Will Wright.
Mmm. I've read a pattern language - I found it a pretty interesting read.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »

I think The Prodigious Builders and Architecture Without Architects are pretty essential.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »

Have you seen Inception?

increpare
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:27:25 AM »

Have you seen Inception?
No.  What does that have to do with the topic?
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:16:59 AM »

There's not a lot of architectural theory, so I apologize for being a bit off topic, but it definitely got me thinking about the basics of player/environment interaction and the idea of creating mazes as levels to trick them into thinking a small space is much larger/natural. No specifics but some basic core ideas for creating a 3D space for players.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic