Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:08:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject MASLOW -- ASCII Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project MASLOW -- ASCII Platformer  (Read 2745 times)
creature
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »

Day #2 working on my little platformer for Freeplay 2010.

Not for a competition or anything, just for the hell of it.

In the game you reorganize the world by picking up\moving blocks.  Periodically there'll be harsh weather conditions (ie, acid rain, snowdrifts) that will cause you to build\take shelter. 

Levelling\progression system will be based on Maslows Heirarchy of Needs, mainly for the wank factor (though the plan looks interesting). 

You'll have to craft\build stuff too... ie planting a seed on exposed ground (not grass) will grow crops which can be harvested for food etc.

I'm a massive fan of Dwarf Fortress\Minecraft, so this little game will probably reak of those as I go along. 

It'll be free.  I'll probably start uploading builds soon if anybody could be bothered playing it. :D

Scott.
creature
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »

Day 3: Put in a nice background, made it rain and made the rain erode uncovered mud blocks (just like science!). You don't want this to happen because you grow crops on mud blocks.

:D

Scott.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »

Wrong forum, buddy. You're looking for Devlogs.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »

This is looking pretty charming. Smiley How's development going?
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »

I like the reference to Maslow here - you have to first fill your most urgent needs, and only then start working on the higher tech. Smiley

RCIX
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:10:09 AM »

Cool! i hope you'll not be putting in as much detail as DF has though, or we'll be here for years Wink
Outcast Orange
Level 0

Orange as a turtle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:23:36 AM »

I will watch this devlog intently.

Have you played Paradise Fort?
That is a good place for some inspiration.

My dead blog: http://outcastorange.blogspot.com/<br /><br />Current Project: Huh?
creature
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »

So last night I got bored and turned a bit of the level into a music tracker.

The loop cycles from left to right in the music area and any block sitting in that loop plays it's respective sample.

Different bits of wood sound like different bongo beats, gold sounds like a cymbol crash, dirt blocks sound like distorted kicks, rock\coal sounds like bass drums etc.

If you spend some time you can make something that sounds like music, or you can always drop bits and pieces all over the place to improv (like the video above).

I don't think it'll be part of the game... just a toy to mess around with. I was also thinking about making a "beatbox" object, that when positioned turns its line into part of the pattern... so people can craft beatboxes and then make their levels musical if they feel the desire.

Hell, why not?

Scott.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic