Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:31:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFAMAZE
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: FAMAZE  (Read 22573 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »

hooray! We look forward to this.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2013, 02:39:29 AM »

Oh, wow! I'm glad to see this hasn't faded into obscurity. Seems like the core mechanics were pretty well in place and balanced way-back-when... has it changed very much since then?

benexclaimed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »

I'm confused -- how is it not a huge deal that this is released? Am I missing something? It's terrific.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2013, 05:57:17 PM »

I'm confused -- how is it not a huge deal that this is released? Am I missing something? It's terrific.

Thanks! There was no PR or anything. I just got sick of it sitting with no one able to play it Smiley I'm glad you like it.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »

You can play it here:

http://oryxdesignlab.com/famaze
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2013, 09:50:45 AM »

I just played it, and it's pretty fun. I like the graphics, and the general idea. It's kind of like a puzzle-game mixed with an RPG, which is interesting. Maybe you should put the game on itch.io and allow people to pay you for it if they want? Could be nice to make some cash off of it, and see how sales go.

I don't think you're supposed to use itch.io like Steam or Desura so much (i.e. advertising your game to new people who're looking for something interesting), but rather as a landing page for people who already know they want to purchase or download the game. If it were supposed to be like Steam or Desura, it would probably have things like comments, ratings, genres, etc.

Anyway, good work!

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »

I checked out the demo. Only played it for 2 stages but...

I'm not sure I like the super limited inventory space. I found myself just using up stuff to make room for other stuff.

I also found myself staring at the top half of the screen about 85% of the time... which seems a shame since it's literally just some colored squares while all this nice pixel art is down at the bottom going unseen.

There's a big disconnect when trying to navigate the maze and actually looking on the lower part of the screen to see what's going on. I know that's probably the last thing you want to hear after basing your entire gameplay mechanic around the split screen style... but I really don't think it's working that well. Sad

It's a really cool idea though, I just feel like there's a reason most roguelikes stick to a single camera view.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 05:37:33 PM »

I also found myself staring at the top half of the screen about 85% of the time... which seems a shame since it's literally just some colored squares while all this nice pixel art is down at the bottom going unseen.

There's a big disconnect when trying to navigate the maze and actually looking on the lower part of the screen to see what's going on. I know that's probably the last thing you want to hear after basing your entire gameplay mechanic around the split screen style... but I really don't think it's working that well.
have to agree unfortunately. i found looking at the bottom screen pretty confusing most of the time. i really wanted to love this because the art and the concept are so nice and i like roguelikes, but at the moment i'm not.

it's pretty counterintuitive when your character is facing to the right on the bottom screen even though you're moving left. also it'd help if you showed a wall or something on the bottom screen when the player tries to move in a blocked direction.

maybe it'd work better if gameplay was more clearly divided between top-screen map exploration and the bottom screen actions? maybe different inputs for them (ex: arrow keys for top, mouse for bottom) could facilitate that somehow? not sure tho.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:50:15 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic