Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 04:08:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCities in RPGs
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Cities in RPGs  (Read 6535 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 06:59:31 PM »

PLZ MOAR

QFT Fixed

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »

Agreeing with the 1st reply post Shenmue was really remarkable, there was at least one soul Ryo had to speak to & if it wasn't about Sailors they weren't important.

I say Oblivion cities were superb, most of them were really interactive. There was always something you could do in any town, something rare that an NPC had, some odd quest to collect. Fallout 3 was very similar (ofcourse), & even though I love it, Oblivion detail & beauty was amazing, an guild office that span throughout the entire world, because of the cities/towns in the game one could play the game for more than 30+ and not touch the Main quest.

I guess my answer is to capture the true nature is to always have something that a person looks for in a City; People - good & bad. Diversity where you can be the pickpocket-ee. Characters always make the game, so a City should always have something going on. People + Randomness.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »

@The Bag - As a world-designer it is interesting adding all the details and AI economics and behaviours, but I agree as a player it has to have some definite gameplay handles and feedback to make sense as a game. I'm slowly making that transition in my own game, stripping out 'clever' simulation stuff and replacing it with fun gameplay stuff. Anyway it is great hearing about this in context of a big studio (and a little disconcerting to hear how many man years go into these little details!)

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »

Fable is an incredible simulation but it fall short at being believable because it try to much to simulate the structure of social world rather than the experience, which it make it pretty shallow.

Actually some j game like harvest moon, tokimemo, love plus does this with better success and less complexity because they focus on the player and his relation to the world. They simulate the meaning of relation rather than its structural reality. NPC had personality and their reaction matter.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic