Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:57:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)i wanna make a game but have no idea were to start
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: i wanna make a game but have no idea were to start  (Read 5093 times)
deku
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:50:57 AM »

now I'm a total noob but I've been wanting to make games since i was 6
I've never written a line of code
ever
not even html
i wanna make an action based metroivainia it was always one of my favorite subgenera as a kid even if it didnt have a name its a shame that their isn't as many of them anymore
whats the best way to start
keep in mind I'm in year 10 so i don't exactly have access to any "higher learning"
oh and I'm an artist so I'm looking to make a art heavy game im not a fan of pixels
i know ill have to start off small grasp the basics but I've been researching for days now and i have no idea were to start
id love to hear how everyone else started
thanks

procrastination is the best part of game design<br />http://deku1.deviantart.com/
Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:21:26 AM »

Well, you could always try Game Maker; cactus has made some downright awesome games with that, and the learning curve is not half as steep as conventional programming. Multimedia Fusion is another program that doesn't require previous programming experience - Derek, who runs TIGS, made the great metroidvania title Eternal Daughter with it (EDIT: when he was about your age, even, I think). Not sure how good either is for non-'pixel art', but if you're not a technically minded person it's an easier way to get started than by learning a programming language, graphics API etc. which you may have no interest in.

The other option is collaboration, but then you'd really need to find a, uh, collaborator.

And, that's about as much as I'm in a position to give advice on without talking out of my arse.

Also, make sure to introduce yourself.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 02:24:54 AM by KingAl » Logged
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:24:19 AM »

The most important thing to do is to start small.
Start really really small.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:38:28 AM »

Start at the beginning. And when you come to the end, stop.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 04:14:12 AM »

Yes, start with Game Maker or whatever. I'm not quite sure exactly how "art heavy" you can make something in that, though. But even if you can't make it how you want, it's a good way to learn.

:D

Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 04:35:31 AM »

<3 Lewis Carroll
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 06:05:26 AM »

Gah! I just wrote a freaking long post about how to start and moth** f****** explorer freaked out on me but I lost it all...

So lemme resume this in a few lines:

Whatever you do, if you truly want to make games, write it all down on paper. Yeah, that's right, just make it on paper before anything else. Plan everything you wanna do with this game before you even start coding. Use tutorials and the ressources you find on the net. There's alot of them out there so just search around and you will find something that fits your needs.

Most important of all, write everything down on paper. Yeah I know, it's the second time I write this and there's a good reason for it: planning makes good games. Alot of people run head first in the concrete wall that is game development and expect to go through on the first shot. They usualy get hurt and then walk away for good. If you really want to make games, write everything you know about your idea on paper. Enemies, player moves, goals, items, levels, anything you think will be part of the game. You won't be able to list everything at first but it'll make your ideas alot more organized and clearer. Besides, games evolve as you create them so it's impossible to make one list at first and then not rework it during development.

Make your first level on paper too. make sketches of it and write down what's going to happen using a simplified sentence structure like so:

If player enters factory then
   Play Alarm sound
   Make light flashe red
   Spawn 10 enemies of type guards
   Send message to player: "Alarm triggered"

If player Shoots
   Move bullet

If bullet collide with any enemy
   Enemy hit energy = enemy hit energy - bullet damage

If enemy enegry= 0 or less then
   burst enemy in guts
   Player xp = player xp +100
   Play player dance animation

and so forth. Why? Cuz it'll get your coding logic started.

Make sketches of everything in the game. Not fully elaborated pictures, just sketches that get the idea right. From the hero to the enemies, items and menus, draw everything quickly. First, it'll help you learn to draw anything and second it'll help you get your ideas straight and clean on paper.

Try to compose music too, using only your primary idea. It's hard but you'll see if you really like that. I can't really help you on that topic tho because music is definitively my weakest subject.

Starting with this "write everything down" idea will help you identify your strenghts and weaknesses.  At your age, it will be important to know that because you'll have to make career choices soon. Knowing what you like/dislike and why you do will really help you.

Prepare yourself for a long and hard journey. Making games is relatively simple but good games are pretty hard to create. Read books about game design, coding, art and inspire yourself from every field of interest you have. Practise a lot too Smiley

Those are my two cents
Best of luck!

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 07:10:40 AM »

I've never written a line of code
ever

Yeah, but have you ever written a complete sentence with proper punctuation?  Tongue

Anyway, as others have mentioned, your best bet would be to go with Game Maker or something similar.  They do all the hard stuff like rendering and input, and leave you with the less hard stuff like art and game logic.

Seconding (thirding? fifthing?) that you start small.  Like, pong.  Seriously.  If you start with "an art heavy game" then you're going to be overwhelmed.  Just learn whatever tool you pick by making a couple little games first.  Most game-maker type programs have tutorials and such that take you through making your first game, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Once you get the hang of event coding with a game making program, then you'll be better prepared for learning a real language, if that's what you want to do.  And you probably will, because most game-making programs don't do "art heavy" very well.

tweet tweet @j_younger
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »

I second Guert's suggestion of doing it out on paper first. If you've thought about it, it's easier.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »

Yeah, but have you ever written a complete sentence with proper punctuation?  Tongue

His writing style is a postmodern neoartistic pancritic mix of 19th century prose and contemporaneous poetry that works to create a very protopictural reflex of a pseudolayered abstraction of god, fool!
deku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »

thanks
i think i may start by taking some advice that the guy who made evryday shooter said here http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3166380
ill start off simple copy alot of ideas from over games till I'm comfortable with my engines then ill work on my biggish games
and as for the paper idea I've got 3 sketch books of notes of cool ideas I've had over the years writing ideas down just seems like second nature to me ill look through them find something simpleish and work on it
I've already found my strengths are in my art ideas and story
i wanna learn code so i can just make something when it pops into my head
its about gaining the skills to do stuff
i didnt learn to draw in a week i don't expect to learn to code in a week either
thanks everyone i hope to be making great games soon

procrastination is the best part of game design<br />http://deku1.deviantart.com/
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 07:03:07 AM »

If you want to learn programming and are thinking of touching anything Java-like, you should take a look Processing.  It's a Java-based, super-accessible but very powerful programming environment that's great for learning how to program for the first time.  It was designed for visual artists, so it makes drawing stuff to the screen very simple to do.  It's not a super popular choice for developing complete games, but it has been done (I'm making a shmup sort of thing with it now).  It can publish to standalone apps (Mac/Win/Linux) or to Java-based web applets.

If you want to focus on making a playable game first and foremost, GameMaker is probably the better choice, but if you want to actually learn programming then Processing is a great place to start.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
deku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 01:56:57 AM »

thanks joshg ill be sure to check that out sometime but ive been playing around with game factory 2 and it seems to be a good fit for me i dont know if this is actully a decent engine as ive only realy done the included tutorials wicth by the way for anyone reading this looking for advice on ther first game i highly recomend

medieval
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 02:00:58 AM »

His writing style is a postmodern neoartistic pancritic mix of 19th century prose and contemporaneous poetry that works to create a very protopictural reflex of a pseudolayered abstraction of god, fool!
+1
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »

I just have to say that
is damn funny.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »

First, imagine the simplest, smallest game you can make. Then go and make something smaller than that.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
jcromartie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 04:50:33 PM »

First, imagine the simplest, smallest game you can make. Then go and make something smaller than that.

That reminds me of the rule of country bass guitar: imagine the simplest thing you could possibly play, and then play something simpler.

Good advice, though.  I'll take it to heart myself, because all I ever do is make engines and not games.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 05:05:39 PM »

yeah my advice would be to not think about making engines... just make games. (unless of course that's just what you want to make but if your trying to make a game don't think about the engine)

Eventually after you write a couple games the things you keep copying and pasting stand out and you can start putting them together.
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 08:54:22 AM »

I've never completed anything, so learn from me.

Start with something small. Plan it out, and then make it with programmer art, and then fix it. The first time you make it, it will not be fun (or whatever you're trying to do. if you aren't making something fun.) Find out wh,y and fix it. Then, fix that attempt. Don't be afried to totally change bits, throw bits out (espically things that sounded good on paper) and add bits (be careful with this one) When you have a core, then add the final touches. Like art that isn't MSPaint'd.

Also, I recommend GameMaker and Multimedia Fusion. You'll have to try them both out for yourself before you commit to one. They have free trials, you'll be fine.

Also also, don't take this the wrong way, but Capital Letters are your friends. Everyone should know the joy of proper, readable sentences. You're life will get better if you use them.*

*-Not by much, but every little helps.
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 01:49:33 PM »

Gamemaker is a lot more deep than some of you in here realize. You guys need to check out the Gamemaker community (GMC) one of these days. It will blow your mind what some people are doing with it. I can attest to that.

Anyways, Gamemaker is a good start. Start small, and study the infamous platform tutorial that comes with it. It uses d&d instead of hard code, but you learn so much from it. From there, try to make your own platformer from scratch. If you need help, check out the GMC. Just remember not to post your first games on there; you will get flamed so bad you might get discouraged. You will have to make a bunch of games first before you ever make you dream game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic