Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:21:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Walk or Die (open source) [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Walk or Die (open source) [FINISHED]  (Read 19148 times)
Jordan
Level 1

One time known as Flaming Pear.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »

Too simple to explain, my entry is a study in minimalistic interaction... more poem than game.

Play now in your browser at:
http://www.necessarygames.com/my-games/walk-or-die/flash

Download source (FlashPunk):
http://www.necessarygames.com/weblinks/goto/131

Here's my inspiration:

Here are some screenshots:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:20:41 PM by Jordan » Logged

Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:21:03 AM »

Well, I finished Smiley

Walk. Or Die.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »

Very cool, I liked it. I quit once it started repeating locations, though I wonder if you had packed some surprises. Cool as it is I don't exactly have the patience to see but I did enjoy my 5 minutes with it.

The transitions seemed pretty smooth and the day/night cycle was well done. Good use of sound too.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:02:40 AM »

I died but it's still moving. Mobile..tomb...

Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:19:37 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Allen! And sorry for the late reply... was out of town for the last few days.

@JaJitsu:
Thanks for the bug report! Maybe the game should be called "Walk and Die"... or "Die and Walk"?  Undecided Will work to get that fixed!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »

It's an interesting little game. Like allen I let go of space once it seemed to start repeating locations. Besides some rough graphics, everything is pretty well done and immersive. Good job on it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 02:40:58 AM »

Thanks Melly.

Has anyone else experienced the moving tombstone bug? Having trouble replicating...

Zoltam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:11:25 AM »

Moving Tombstone Bug: If you press X key, not releasing the space bar, the character dies and the tombstone keeps on travelling forever.

Obviously I had not a weapon, so I just was trying to jump. Grin

Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 06:04:18 PM »

Ah, of course! Thanks Zoltam. Bug fixed!

Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 07:22:43 PM »

As with all my creations, Walk or Die is open source. Just finished uploading the AS3/Flashpunk files, as well as the assets to:

http://www.necessarygames.com/weblinks/goto/131

Help yourself Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »

I found an awesome way to exploit this game! If you click outside the game window, your character will keep walking without you holding space. Yeah, I totally pwned this game!

In all seriousness, this game is exactly what I expected it to be. Which is kind of disappointing, really. It seems like the game is supposed to have some deeper, artistic message, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't (beyond the standard futility of life messages that can be attributed to almost any endless game ever). The game doesn't add anything beyond what the title already implies.

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »

I made it like 12 seconds in.

I'm not a very good WoD player.

If any of the more experienced players here could give me tips I'm kind of curious as to how I should be opening in ranked Walk or Die matches. I've been trying to put alot of resources into pressing Ctrl and I seem to just get stomped almost instantly every game.
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »

Whenever I press any key with the game focused, I get a message saying "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed".

Firefox 3.6, Ubuntu.

It doesn't happen if I load the SWF directly though, so I think it's something to do with how you're embedding it in the page. I don't have the same issue with Freedom Bridge.

Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »

I found an awesome way to exploit this game! If you click outside the game window, your character will keep walking without you holding space. Yeah, I totally pwned this game!

In all seriousness, this game is exactly what I expected it to be. Which is kind of disappointing, really. It seems like the game is supposed to have some deeper, artistic message, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't (beyond the standard futility of life messages that can be attributed to almost any endless game ever). The game doesn't add anything beyond what the title already implies.

I appreciate the honest feedback Soulliard, and I'm sorry that Walk or Die was a disappointment. Believe it or not, the message of the thing isn't actually supposed to be the futility of life. I could tell you what I was trying to do, but I find such explanations are generally worthless, when the piece itself doesn't succeed, so I'll keep my mouth shut. Suffice it to say that I'll try and do better next time Smiley.

Whenever I press any key with the game focused, I get a message saying "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed".

Firefox 3.6, Ubuntu.

It doesn't happen if I load the SWF directly though, so I think it's something to do with how you're embedding it in the page. I don't have the same issue with Freedom Bridge.

Strange, as I'm using SWFObject 2 to embed the swf, which is supposed to be "oh so compatible" and all that. I've tried changing to a direct embedding method... could you let me know if it loads successfully for you now?

@Allen:
In response to your earlier comment, yes, I did include some rare items and other "surprises." I wanted to include a lot more, but just didn't have the time.

Thanks everyone for the feedback -- much appreciated Smiley.

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 06:29:15 PM »

Thirty... minutes...
Addicted

Something about this was just so... tranquil.  I loved the snowmen, igloos, destroyed villa on the beach, meteor shower, the way my grave is getting covered in snow because I died in a snow area, and probably some other stuff I forgot.

Anyway, I just whipped y'all's asses at Walk or Die.  33 minutes, to be more exact.  I am the manliest.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 03:48:43 AM »

Strange, as I'm using SWFObject 2 to embed the swf, which is supposed to be "oh so compatible" and all that. I've tried changing to a direct embedding method... could you let me know if it loads successfully for you now?
No, it's still not working. Really strange, I'm not sure why this might happen.

Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »

Well, I'm a bit mystified, but thanks for the feedback Alan.

If anyone else has problems with the game crashing flash player, please let me know.

roBurky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »

I think my lifetime could have been measured in milliseconds...
RichVreeland
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »

Just so you know, the link to your source isn't working.  Gentleman

enjoyed the game Smiley
Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »

Just so you know, the link to your source isn't working.  Gentleman

enjoyed the game Smiley

Thanks Smiley . As far as the link, I just tried it and it seems to work for me. I think my server has issues from time to time though (trying to get the site moved), so that might have been the problem. Give it another try?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic