Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:33:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralVancouver Game Summit - indie infiltration?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vancouver Game Summit - indie infiltration?  (Read 2222 times)
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:11:52 AM »

So I went to this Vancouver International Game Summit thing last year, it was okay.  I'm looking at it this year, and I think they upped the price, darn it, but maybe I'll just sneak (ie. walk) into the good sessions.

I am really tempted to do something subversive at the final event on the agenda here: Bear Pit Debate - "Are Games Factory Production Items or an Art Form?"  Maybe put up a sign that says **** FREE ART HERE **** and hand out CDs of indie freeware and demos.  Although probably someone else here can come up with something funnier and more awesome.

Anyone else from here planning to attend this?  Or is in the area and wishes they could attend but wtf $500, and wants to get together with other indie-minded people instead, reproduce our own badges and infiltrate?

p.s. On their reasons to attend: "We serve real food! No box lunches!!"  ... man, I should share the horror story of the first lunch they served last year - mashed potato in martini glasses, and saucer-sized plates of weird pasta.  Seriously, what the heck.  At least they made up for it the next day with a burger buffet.  I think that was a different venue though, so maybe this to assure people that this year's food won't suck.

p.p.s. "Ken Lavine" has been invited!!!!111!!

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:16:51 AM »

hrmmm... not sure!

i'm in the area though. Smiley

ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »

I'm in the area, but there's no chance in hell I could dish out that kind of cash right now.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »

Yeah, I probably can't afford to pay for it either... which is partly why I was hoping there'd be interest in some kind of alternative for us cheap indies to meet up anyway.

Hmm, I wonder if posting twice in the same thread will make the bugged "Manbaby" tag go away...

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 05:09:54 PM »

We could just organize our own thing. That'd be cool. Smiley

ChevyRay
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »

A fine idea. Four/five hour drive from Van, I live in Kamloops. I'd go if it looked like there was gonna be a show up.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »

Sounds good to me.  We can probably come up with better food than potato martinis on our own.  How should we plan this thing?  I could just pick times and dates for whatever suits me, and see if people complain?   Smiley

Hrm, I wonder what happened to the NWGF, for that matter.  That was originally supposed to happen after the last day of the VIGS last year, but it got "postponed" and then just didn't happen at all.  The NWGF seemed to have more of an indie-friendly feel to it, from what I heard of the Portland event in 2006.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:59:30 PM »

Should just start by meeting and hanging out somewhere.

Ryan Clark might not mind hosting? He has an office in downtown Vancouver.

Nick Waanders and his company (the guys that made N+ 360) are here as well.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 03:31:29 PM »

Neat, I didn't know the N+ 360 guys were in the area.

Should I start a new topic for a meetup so that this isn't planned in the shadow of some expensive event that didn't feel like pricing itself within proper indie budgeting range?  Or we (you?) could just rename this thread I guess.

Also does Ryan Clark drop by here, or will someone have to call/email him and ask nicely?

I am filled with nagging questions because I will be sad if this doesn't happen.

ChevyRay
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »

Should I start a new topic for a meetup so that this isn't planned in the shadow of some expensive event that didn't feel like pricing itself within proper indie budgeting range?  Or we (you?) could just rename this thread I guess.
I think a separate thread would do the trick, and save this one for the original topic.

In that Grubby Games gang photo I see JPOD on his (freakishly empty) bookshelf, that was a good book Smiley
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »

Yeah, I should give that a read.  I think it's been long enough since my EA years that it wouldn't be too traumatizing anymore.  Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic