Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 08:53:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesign Concept Mystery
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Design Concept Mystery  (Read 3413 times)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »

ALSO- after finishing the game 3times, i realise you can stand on agros back
I thought this was the only efficient way of shooting arrows on the sand snake (not the flying one)  Lips Sealed

About Bethesda games, I have a hard time associating them with the discovery feeling we're talking about. I consider those games as entirely focused on exploring -> bumping into places, quests, items and whatnot. There's so much freedom that anything could happen. What makes our discovery feeling cool is that you get the feeling that you've just left the "yellow line" (which someone mentioned earlier) you were supposed to follow. Morrowind/Oblivion do not seem to have a yellow line at all, and thus no feeling of "I've just found something unexpected". You'd expect anything to happen in these games anyways.

On the other hand, a game which made me feel this way is Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (GBA) in which there were hidden (often empty) rooms you could find by destroying certain walls in the castle. And those walls were no different from other walls.
Sames goes for Symphony of the Night in which most weapons and shields had very powerful undocumented powers/spells that required nasty key input.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »

Earthbound: Take, for example, the bicycle. (It's a Tim Rogers article, so you'll need to exercise your ctrl-f keys.)

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 02:20:08 PM »

Yes, that's the key right there.

UNDOCUMENTED features.  Hand Point Left Wink

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic