Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:20:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIkiki appreciation thread (+ Ikiki Games Gallery)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Ikiki appreciation thread (+ Ikiki Games Gallery)  (Read 36359 times)
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »

I am currently playing all games made by Ikiki, and because there are far more interesting games than just Nikujin, Hakaiman and Teppoman 2, I thought it was worth having an extra thread to discuss all those other games, too!

While playing the games, I noticed that one of his most unique and generally best games was undeservingly unpopular, Kusariman! It's a grappling hook game (!) and really fun, but unfortunately very hard to learn. The first time I played it, I actually thought it was broken.

's a quick video to show that it really works well (after much, much practice).

And apart from all the games, I'm wondering about one thing: Does he really call himself Ikiki? His website includes that name, but in the games' readme files and even on his guestbook he is always just called "Uta".

Moreover, I have just started a video series about these games: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F9B87549D631A6A1

The videos thus far:

02: Niwatori
03: Tetuhau
04: Bakuhatu
05: Higesorimushi
06: Super Moreo Bros.
07: Seijinsiki
08: Jet Mairo
09: Houmuran
10: Toranpon
11: Makitirasi
12: Hageyarou
13: Nagurin
14: Ninjagame
15: Pineappo
16: Kinokoin
17: Sogeking
18: 100ponknock
19: Aborin
20: Kinokobai
21: Teppoman
22: Hitotobasi
23: Bimboman
24: Kamutaro
25: Teppodon (2)
26: Bokorin
27: Rakkasan
28: Nikujin
29: Butukedama
30: Basirin
31: Sibakirobo
32: Rocketaro
33: Kusariman
34: Tepposenso
35: Hakaiman
36: Tarenagasi
37: Gonbutoman
38: Blockman
39: Bokusin
40: Bakudan
41: Tekkyuuman
42: Tobioriya
43: Curryki
44: Teppoman 2
45: Nozumou
46: Katuo Bomb
X01: Jihyo Attack
X02: Brigimantion
X03: Old Makitirasi
X04: Old Aborin
X05: Firearms
X06: Kouyano Samurai
X07: Hakaarasi
X08: Spyman
X09: Yami Brigimantion
X10: Rocket Mairo
X11: ??Badminton??
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:43:46 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »

Alright! I've been waiting for this thread. Kiss

For those who didn't notice because of Teppoman 2, Ikiki also recently did a very short platformer called "Jihyoattack". "Jihyo" is Japanese for "written resignation", and that name is appropriate, because the game is about a bulky salaryman wielding a hammer, smashing his way up a tall office building to kill his boss.

It's very short and easy (especially for an Ikiki game) and will probably only take a few minutes to complete. He has listed it on his Games Graveyard, where he puts the names of games that he gave up on.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 07:04:44 PM »

Indie Gaming Confession: I have never played an Ikiki game. I always enjoy every video I watch of them though.

I did just now play through Jihyoattack and it was pretty fun. I may just check his other games..should have done it a long time ago though  Facepalm
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »

So for his games section in case you can't find it.

Go to:
http://ikiki.sokushinbutsu.com/himoji/

Click on:
ゲーム
in green text on the bottom.

Download and enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:54:16 PM by Keyser Soze » Logged
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »

I love his stuff. Directly inspired Enough Marios which led to that other one.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »

So for his games section in case you can't find it.

Go to:
http://ikiki.sokushinbutsu.com/himoji/

Click on:
ゲーム
in green text on the bottom.

Download and enjoy.

Could have just lead me here: http://ikiki.sokushinbutsu.com/himoji/game.htm
I couldn't find the page due to that weird font he uses, didn't even know those were links.

I downloaded every game on the page (thank you downthemall) and will be playing them shortly.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »

Yeah allen I could...

But wasn't my way more of a learning experience?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 11:07:29 PM »

no
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 12:20:37 AM »

oh...  Sad
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »

nice idea Smiley

once you have recorded gameplay videos of all the 40+ games it might be good if you would create a compilation video which shows each game briefly (3-6 secs)....and then add annotation links at the bottom.
a click on them directs you to the longer gameplay video.

as for the quality issue:
use mp4 format and increase the resolution to 1024x768...
that will not improve the quality of your raw footage video material of course...
but if you use that technique youtube won't compress the video that much and offers you also the 720 option (which is basically of the same quality as the video on your pc).

have a look at the

that i've recorded and uploaded with that technique.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:25:59 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 03:22:47 AM »

Protip for playing Ikiki's games: Use translate.google.com to translate the readme file of the game you want to play. In some of the less simple games they can have valuable information about the controls and gameplay. Unless I already made a video a properly wrote down the controls in the description, of course Tongue

Thanks for the tips AuthenticKaizen. As regards format the recording software I use, CamStudio, seems to be pretty limited, though. I can't save the video uncompressed and only in avi format. Or would it be worth it still making it into an mp4 when editing?
And can you give me a tip about codecs? I am currently using "H264 lossless" via ffdshow, which seemed to result in the best quality, but I still can't watch the videos with Windows Media Player for example. That's not an issue regarding YouTube, but I guess it shouldn't happen, anyway Smiley

[edit]

Thanks a lot, that's perfect Smiley And it turns out I can record uncompressed video, again with ffdshow. Processing takes 4 times longer now, but I guess I can live with that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:48:37 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 05:51:30 AM »

Ikiki <3

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »

nice! the quality of your latest video is very good... the resolution technique seems to work Wink

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »

nice! the quality of your latest video is very good... the resolution technique seems to work Wink
Like I said, it's pretty much perfect for me Smiley I just noticed that when recording these videos I get a maximum of around 20 frames per second, which is far from ideal. So, I guess CamStudio isn't the best recorder, after all, hehe. But, for games like these it should be no problem at all.
Thanks again, this made recording the videos a lot more enjoyable.
And the idea of a compilation video is also very good. I could actually show off each game for about 10 seconds.

I made a playlist for the videos, so they can all be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F9B87549D631A6A1
Now I just hope that this actually interests some people. At least these first games are hardly very fun to watch in their own right, I guess. But, I think in the context of all the great games he's made it is still enjoyable to see them Smiley

Though, I still wonder if he's really called Ikiki or if that was just some misinterpretation everybody else just picked up Giggle

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 11:43:16 AM »

Like I said, it's pretty much perfect for me Smiley I just noticed that when recording these videos I get a maximum of around 20 frames per second, which is far from ideal. So, I guess CamStudio isn't the best recorder, after all, hehe. But, for games like these it should be no problem at all.
Thanks again, this made recording the videos a lot more enjoyable.
And the idea of a compilation video is also very good. I could actually show off each game for about 10 seconds.

I made a playlist for the videos, so they can all be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F9B87549D631A6A1
Now I just hope that this actually interests some people. At least these first games are hardly very fun to watch in their own right, I guess. But, I think in the context of all the great games he's made it is still enjoyable to see them Smiley

Though, I still wonder if he's really called Ikiki or if that was just some misinterpretation everybody else just picked up Giggle

a compilation video would be pretty interesting.
it would offer a quick and effective overview about ikikis games.
(well i think theres the possibility that it will be frontpaged on rps or tigsource)

camtasia offers much better performance.
theres also snagit from the same company which is normally for screenshots and stuff (but offers also a video recording option like camtasia... you could record it with that and edit with avidemux or virtualdub for example.
you can use both programs without any limitations for 30 days.

extra tip for camstudio:
go to video options and uncheck the "auto adjust" box.
enter 1 milisecond in the "capture frames every" field
(with the standard 5 miliseconds camstudio gives me only 20 fps when i try to record games with 800x600 resolution... but with the 1 milisecond i get 30 fps.
note: i get the 30 fps with the techsmith screen capture codec... the lossless codec gives me only 20 fps with the above mentioned settings.

(moreover: camstudio 2.6 beta was also released this month...maybe it offers better performance)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:04:17 PM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 11:46:14 AM »

I'm actually using CamStudio 2.6b. I don't want to use commercial software, even if the trial version would be enough for this video series. I want to be able to use the software in general, and for that purpose I am currently fine with CamStudio and VirtualDub, even if they are clearly limited Smiley

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 12:22:49 PM »

I'm actually using CamStudio 2.6b. I don't want to use commercial software, even if the trial version would be enough for this video series. I want to be able to use the software in general, and for that purpose I am currently fine with CamStudio and VirtualDub, even if they are clearly limited Smiley

just found out that theres also camstudio 3 on the sourceforge page
(but i cant find an exe file inside the package)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »

CamStudio 3 is only in (pre-?)alpha or so, I think. I read that it isn't ment to be used normally, yet.

I've just played through Teppoman for the first time. Judging by its final boss, apparently Teppoman 2 is all about vengeance Grin Quite a nice connection.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:44:41 PM by MisterX » Logged

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »

Ikiki has now released all but one of his abandoned games on the "Game Graveyard": http://ikiki.sokushinbutsu.com/himoji/mono/yamigame/yamigame.htm

Those really are games which are playable, but weren't publicly released before. Publicly? Yeah, apparently most of them had already been released in 2005 somewhere. So, were they already findable before, or just lying around hidden on his webspace, or what? I think it's weird that he mentions this original releasedate if it was only the latter.

Anyway, three of the games are just uninteresting pre-release versions of already known games, but some are pretty cool. So far I especially liked Spyman, which he later turned into the fabulous Kusariman Smiley And Firearms also seems interesting, a rather different take on his top-down shooters, including *gasp* diagonal movement!

And the Ikiki Games Gallery is also progressing well. I've now settled on 2 videos per day and it's not too long until I will get to the more interesting games Smiley
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:39:21 AM by MisterX » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »

Maybe I'm just a bastard, but I enjoy watching the videos more than I do playing them. So thanks for all the videos!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic