Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:38:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA tribute to LIMBO
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A tribute to LIMBO  (Read 3880 times)
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:34:40 AM »

ZerozShadow and I teamed up again to try to make a platformer in the lines of LIMBO. We made this in two days ( 1 day code + 1 day art ) .

The game is about "not believing what the game design is telling you". We hope you will enjoy this Smiley

Press R to respawn

Press Esc to leave

Download for OS X | Download for Windows

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »

Oh jeez aliceffekt how on earth do you make such brilliant stuff so quickly?

Anyways I'm playing it right now, just got to the part where my mother tells me that 45 degree objects will kill me.

My only complaint so far is that some of the text is really hard to see/not lit well enough.

Besides that, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the aesthetic.

EDIT: Just finished it, some tricky jumps in there. But all around I loved it, the broken buildings and street lamps and just... everything about the world was so cool.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:43:26 AM by Keyser Soze » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »

I thought it was very cool. I didn't play Limbo though, so I dunno about the connection.

Music is nice and creepy too. You guys sure have made some cool stuff lately, don't stop  Gentleman
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 01:31:37 PM »

That was really good!

I'm not sure that "kill your player with surprise deathtraps" is the right lesson to take from LIMBO, but it certainly worked here.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »

Really fun.
Also, I managed to get up here, where I assume I'm not supposed to go, as there are no spikes if I fall off the other side.
(If it's hard to see, I'm just above the words: (Follow the lights I left you.")
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:27:18 PM »

I was able to jump up there too, it was a glitch I think. I could never reproduce that same jump though, only once.

Happened when I fell off the side and hung on teh wall a bit and then jumped and my player jumped high enough to get up there.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »

Another very interesting game. I like the way you use deaths in it, though you should make it somewhat obvious how to restart. It's confusing and I honestly thought at first the only way was to close the game and restart it.

The aesthetic is brilliant, though that's the usual coming from you. And this time you added some audio. Grin It sounds pretty brilliant as well and perfectly complements the atmosphere.

The platforming physics could use some work. You're always getting stuck on the sides of walls as long as you're pressing against them, and if you hold the jump key as you land on a platform that's high enough you tend to jump again immediately after. These things keep the platforming from feeling smooth, and actually make a few jumps a little harder than they should be.

These three jumps are very problematic. Thanks to the platforming issues I mentioned all of them are harder to perform than they should logically be. The first one in particular is a frustating pain in the ass to get right.

The camera could use some work as well, as it's pretty jittery as it follow the character, and it snaps/jerks forward whenever you hit a wall. I think that's pretty distracting, and the camera should be smooth as silk.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »

I actually found those jumps to be really easy. The movement engine felt really good to me, aside from the sticking to walls. Also, you jump full hight without holding down the button, so you don't need to worry about jumping as soon as you land on a higher platform.

I also figured out how to restart right away, but thats just because I played IWBTG, and now whenever I die in any game I instinctively press R.

The way you do the super jump glitch is that you jump up to a platform, and just lip the corner on the way up. You will jump again, keeping you momentum from the first jump as well. You can fall just of the edge of a platform, and then jump back into the corner to do it without a higher ledge, which is how you get to the place in my screen shot
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:09:18 AM »

Thanks a lot everyone for your excelent feedback Smiley I am learning a lot each time from this  Beer!

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
Captain_404
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:10:10 AM »

This was excellent. However, I think early on - and especially over any place with text - the lighting could use a little work. I had to really strain to figure out what was going on. While it does come into play later in the game, I still think that early on, and around any text, it could due to at least flicker less.
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »

is this the end of the game??

SPOILER:  i get here, then jump onto a ramp and run up into the starting area, where the game freezes as if i've died.  is that what's supposed to happen?

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 07:06:09 PM »

Pretty sure that's a yes Neon.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 11:11:41 AM »

yeah, it was a great game, although the sticking-to-walls mechanics could use some work.  the aesthetic is great and makes me want to play with unity.  nice job aliceffekt.

zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »

Is there any controls besides jump?  I cant seem to get anywhere past the main platform and the one to the left, and Im sure Im missing something

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 12:05:33 PM »

I can't get past that "follow the lights" platform either. what gives?

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 12:44:05 PM »

The game is not always as it seems. Grin

Try different paths.

zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 01:00:51 PM »

Is it up or down?

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »

When deceived, disobey.

Aside:
Excellent stuff, ika. I love the cracking of the buildings in the background, and the subtle use of colour.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic