Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411999 Posts in 69443 Topics- by 58481 Members - Latest Member: Umiii7

June 18, 2024, 06:07:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallImmortal Defense Now Pay-Whatever-You-Want
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Immortal Defense Now Pay-Whatever-You-Want  (Read 2039 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »

decided to follow jason rohrer's sleep is death thing and try this permanently; here's a copy and paste from the newsletter i sent out

Immortal Defense, our story-based tower defense strategy game, is now available at whatever price you'd like to pay for it (with a minimum of $1.75 to cover fees).

Note that this is not a sale and not time-limited, it is a test of using this model as a permanent price. We can always switch back some time in the future if it doesn't work as well, but we do like this model and hope that it can work as the standard price for indie games, as it has with Jason Rohrer's Sleep is Death.

Please help us make this model successful by spreading the word on this news.

You can find the game here: http://studioeres.com/immortal

I know that many of you have already bought it, but if you liked the game, please let your friends know about the new pay whatever you like model.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 07:49:24 AM »

Congratulations on the Destructoid thing! Hopefully that'll get a lot of sales for you.

EDIT: I posted it on reddit. Hopefully it'll take off!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:22:45 PM »

thanks-thanks

first day of immortal defense pay what you want model: 74 sales, $270.80

which already exceeds the average it makes per month at normal price (of about $200)

although a lot of that is the announcement effect; i'm more curious about what will happen long-term when there's no news about it / no blog posts etc.

PKBT
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:36:37 PM »

Cool. I guess I'll buy it, even though I have it already.
I guess I'll gift it to a friend instead. Hope this spreads around!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »

thanks-thanks

first day of immortal defense pay what you want model: 74 sales, $270.80

which already exceeds the average it makes per month at normal price (of about $200)

although a lot of that is the announcement effect; i'm more curious about what will happen long-term when there's no news about it / no blog posts etc.
Was it still doing $200/month just before you started this operation?
If yes, then I think you should have waited more (until it brings almost nothing pre month) because in a few months after the press effect, it will probably go down to much less than $200/month.
What I mean is, if the game was still at $200/month, you would be losing a good revenue source with this experiment.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 04:14:44 PM »

it was still doing $200 a month when i started this yes. however my hope is that it'll go higher than $200 a month with this model rather than lower. if it goes significantly lower for many months and shows no sign of going higher, i'll try going back to the old price and consider it a failure, or raise the minimum price to 5$ or something. but jason rohrer's stable sales actually increased after going pay what you want for sleep is death, so we'll see.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »

my reddit post got buried. only upvote was my own. not even a downvote.
sorry it didn't take off.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic