Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:14:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creativepixelating on linux
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: pixelating on linux  (Read 1600 times)
Kekskiller
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:37:08 PM »

I love GraphicsGale. It's the only program I could ever imagine for making pixel art. It's also the only thing I miss on Linux and using Wine it's still instable and doesn't such a nice integration like on windows. So yeah, I'm looking for something that is designed for pixel art and also works on Linux. I mean there's GIMP as "photoshop replacement", Inkscape for vector graphics, but nothing for pixel art? I'd even buy software just have some good software without using annoying backdoors.

Well, maybe I should just make my own one. BUT THAT IS A BIT TIME-CONSUMING ISN'T IT Cry

Edit: Found out that there's alsp mtpaint. Does aynone have experiences with it? I'm currently not my linux desk, so I'm not able to check it out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:53:55 PM by Kekskiller » Logged
pgil
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »

I think Grafx2 has a linux version. Really nice program for pixeling, although there's no animation, and the gui is sort of old-fashioned (none of the standard menus/shortcuts).
increpare
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »

I use gimp for pixelly stuff.  It works ok..
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »

I also use gimp, but agree that it's probably less than ideal. I've never used GraphicsGale but a lot of pixelers seem to swear by it, so I'd assume Gimp isn't as good...
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »

Oh yeah I was going to say, you don't have to write your own just bug DrPetter and he will probably make one. Hehehehe =)
Kekskiller
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:54:51 PM »

Oh yeah I was going to say, you don't have to write your own just bug DrPetter and he will probably make one. Hehehehe =)
Yeah, I saw CherryBrush on his page, but that's rather for smooth large-scalers and also not for Linux.
Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:00:20 AM »

For pixel art, use mtPaint. The interface is maybe a little different from other programs but when you know to use it, there is nothing better.

If you won't get used to mtPaint and if you did some pixel art in MSpaint, then KolourPaint is an exact copy of that, but better. It is a KDE app, but works under gnome.

Hope this helps.

Programming is the closest thing I have to magic.
Kekskiller
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:29:26 AM »

Yeah, I tested mtpaint for a moment and it seems a pretty nice program so far. Only thing bothering is about the rightclick beeing the background color. I'm one of the few person I know who prefer right as pipette tool, so you can continue with already existing colors with a palette lookup (useful if you're doing 24bit only like me). I assume there's no way to change it? Well, I'm sure there's a config file somewhere. Or atleast I hope so.
Kekskiller
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:45:18 AM »

Nevermind, I just need to hold down CTRL. Awesome! Problem solved. Thanks for ya help, guys.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic