Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:12:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioGoblin Opera
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Goblin Opera  (Read 1590 times)
Paint by Numbers
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »

No, I'm not composing an opera centered around goblins. (Perhaps I should.) I actually want samples of an operatic vocalist, preferably male, preferably not in English, preferably about goblins (failing goblins, whatever is good). The longer the better. It can be tenor, bass, whatever, so long as it is professional operatic. Also, it needs to be a cappella or have somewhat minimal instrumentation.

I know this is a bizarre request, and difficult, but I'm sure somebody on TIGSource has a convenient library of a cappella opera songs. Thanks a ton in advance, everyone! Grin
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »

Hate to be a complete buzzkill here but any 'professional recording' of operatic material like that will most certainly be copyrighted - and it's a common misnomer that music that was written over 100 years ago is free for use. The -music- is, but a recording is still copyrighted.

That said, there are probably people that can use libraries to give you something, but a solo vocalist effect is very VERY difficult to emulate, and it won't sound "professional."  You'll need to get an actual vocalist to pull off what you're going for, if not also a composer to write it for you.

hi
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »

Ah, hell. I think, then, that I'll piece something together out of short samples from other songs. It won't sound continuous but it's okay because my song is full of cut-up vocals anyway.

Thanks for the advice, soundofjw! Smiley

(Oh, and, by "libraries" I meant collections. In retrospect, thinking anybody would have a bunch of public domain opera is pretty pie-in-the-sky.)
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:34:52 PM »

Don't give up hope, look around for something with a creative-commons license and you should be good to go. Soundcloud, bandcamp, or tindeck may help (:

hi
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:33:38 AM »

on www.musopen.com there are some good pieces with chorales. maybe you find some matching opera singer stuff too...
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:30:33 AM »

Musopen is good. This is a good place to check as well: http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/public-domain-recordings.html

For something professional:

There is a male opera singer for Vocaloid2 called Tonio. if you listen to the samples, it actually

(less so

), and you can program it to sing whatever you like. Here's the page: http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1071

There is also a female version called Prima. It sounds fantastic too (though, again, less fantastic if she sings in English). Page here: http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1004

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:47:02 AM »

There should be some men singing about dwarves in Wagner's Ring cycle, and I expect there must be an out-of-copyright recording of this somewhere. However I haven't managed to find one.

I can manage a passable classical tenor on a good day; I've been taking classes in it and have done some amateur opera Big Laff. I can send a sample your way if you're interested.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »

Thanks for the sites, everybody - I'm looking through them all right now. Smiley

There should be some men singing about dwarves in Wagner's Ring cycle, and I expect there must be an out-of-copyright recording of this somewhere. However I haven't managed to find one.

I can manage a passable classical tenor on a good day; I've been taking classes in it and have done some amateur opera Big Laff. I can send a sample your way if you're interested.

Thanks so much for the offer! If you've already got a random sample laying around that you don't need, then I would love to have it, assuming you're okay with me using it - much easier than digging around the Archives of the Internet and whatnot. Tongue
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »

Thanks so much for the offer! If you've already got a random sample laying around that you don't need, then I would love to have it, assuming you're okay with me using it - much easier than digging around the Archives of the Internet and whatnot. Tongue

Sent you a PM.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic