Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:24:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDISCUSS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: DISCUSS.  (Read 15979 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 04:36:22 PM »

Isn't it a series? I'd've started reading them a long time ago, but I never know where to start, and, as far as I know, they aren't numbered. It's always like DUNE, then a subtitle. Is there a just plain DUNE DUNE? I haven't found it yet. Or are they all just standalone books?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »

Isn't it a series? I'd've started reading them a long time ago, but I never know where to start, and, as far as I know, they aren't numbered. It's always like DUNE, then a subtitle. Is there a just plain DUNE DUNE? I haven't found it yet. Or are they all just standalone books?

Yeah, there's just a Dune.

That's the one you want to read.  And avoid any Dune books that are not penned by Frank Herbert.  Word on the street is that his son, Chris, picked up the series and basically took a big crap on it.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 09:13:47 AM »

Frank took a few craps on it too.  Stick with the original.  And watch the David Lynch movie, it's awesome too.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 09:52:56 AM »

you keep mentioning some link but I see nothing to click?!?!? Shocked

Nice try!! But i think evrybody know Link!!!
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 10:02:41 AM »

i started reading the first one years ago.
in the first page, about 1 out of 4 words was some made-up dune word that i had to go check the glossary at the end to get a small idea of what Mr. Herbert was talking about. so i stopped.

which is too bad,

fun fact time:
did you know that the original planned version of the movie was to be wtitten and directed by Jodorowski with the help of Orson Welles, have  concept art by Moebius AND HR. Giger, be scored by Pink Floyd and star Salvator Dali and was to be a 10 hour film?

the mind fucking explodes.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 12:07:27 PM »

i started reading the first one years ago.
in the first page, about 1 out of 4 words was some made-up dune word that i had to go check the glossary at the end to get a small idea of what Mr. Herbert was talking about. so i stopped.

which is too bad,

fun fact time:
did you know that the original planned version of the movie was to be wtitten and directed by Jodorowski with the help of Orson Welles, have  concept art by Moebius AND HR. Giger, be scored by Pink Floyd and star Salvator Dali and was to be a 10 hour film?

the mind fucking explodes.

Love Moebius.

Also love Mark Zug!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 12:05:03 AM »

Welcome to Next Gen Graphics! :D
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 01:52:46 AM »

Funny.  They get the crotch collision correct, but the rope passes through buddy number 2's hands.  Har har.

But seriously, does the rope really need to be transparent?  Oh, I see.  This way I get the whole chest experience, instead of a 90%.

Oh I'm sorry, did I neglect the real humor of the screenshot.  Grin

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 07:27:47 AM »

Comedy aside, it must have taken enormous processing power to render all those individual little people in the background. So that's why we need those huge, expensive, multi-core games consoles!

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »

That, just like almost all attempts of next gen "realistic" depiction of people, just looks fucking creepy to me.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 09:12:25 AM »

uncanny valley

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »

It looks exactly like hollywood CGI, ie cartoony.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »

uncanny valley

very much so.

Not really at all. It tries to look real but fails and ends up with something fucked up looking. If they went for proper cartoony it would look stylised and would work about 100 times better on a whole (see team fortress 2). But apperantly the masses want almost real and hence super fucked up looking gash Huh?

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »

But apperantly the masses want almost real and hence super fucked up looking gash Huh?

This will one day hit a critical mass, but we're not quite there yet. Luckily, a lot of that zombified look is negated by distant camera angels, over-exaggerated animation, and motion. It's apparent in a screenshot cause you can study and see the lifelessness but in motion, it's veiled to an extent.

Eventually tho, games will start to really cross that line and gamers will become repulsed by the subtle, yet glaring inaccuracies and you might begin to see more stylized looks like TF2 (woot, btw). I really wish devs would focus more energy into attaining lifelike animation and movement then photoreal models. Unfortunately, screen & boxshots still sell games.

whoa crap, sorry for getting all serious in this thread  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 12:57:46 PM by lowpoly » Logged

progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2007, 02:04:11 PM »

http://jeffgoldblum.ytmnd.com/

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

Not really at all. It tries to look real but fails and ends up with something fucked up looking. If they went for proper cartoony it would look stylised and would work about 100 times better on a whole (see team fortress 2). But apperantly the masses want almost real and hence super fucked up looking gash Huh?
Exactly and that's my point. Hollywood movies also aim for realistic characters and most of the time they end up looking like cartoon characters.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Albert Lai
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »

Final Fantasy, The Spirits Within come to mind.

And, as I was typing that, that Dungeons and Dragons movie also came to mind.

This post was originally about how well-done 2D is better than poorly-done 3D, but I think I'm just going to leave before my brain decides to unearth some other memory.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 05:09:12 PM »

I always thought it was just that one nerdy kid rapping. However, it turns out that all Legend of Zelda ads are awesome.

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2007, 10:17:10 AM »

Final Fantasy, The Spirits Within come to mind.

And, as I was typing that, that Dungeons and Dragons movie also came to mind.

D&D doesn't have fake people, just an angry Jeremy Irons!

I thought the Final Fantasy fake people worked really well actually.  They were totally spooky looking, of course, but it fit the tone of the film.  I'd say that was the good part of it, actually.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2007, 09:59:21 PM »

I really appreciated the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

Maybe I'm the only person to have thought of this (although I doubt it), but does it strike anyone else who played Dungeons and Dragons in high school as a pretty accurate representation?

I mean, you've got some random guys who embark on an epic quest for essentially no reason, monsters show up basically at random, half the party has absolutely no reason for following the other half around... while I'm certain it was completely unintentional, the movie actually had me feeling nostalgic at points.

Ah, the bad old days...

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic