Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:08:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIt Begins! (Working Title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: It Begins! (Working Title)  (Read 1830 times)
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2010, 03:32:45 AM »

A Metroid/Duke Nukem/ Cave Story inspired platformer!

The Lowdown!
It Begins! takes place in a laboratory on an abandoned planet. You play as B.O.T 01, a robot charged with downloading the records of illegal experiments from the laboratory on planet XTR4501; Codename: Athens.

Unfortunately for you, whilst downloading said records, you are attacked by a virus! Sounds horrible right? Do not fret! This virus has an upside... While you lose all functional programs (besides Movement 1.0) you gain Self Awareness .01a (an Alpha release unfortunately)and begin your quest of self discovery while simultaneously uncovering the mystery of Planet: Athens.

So you go from this                              To this!

Gameplay
I hope to introduce some interesting elements when it comes to the baddies. Seeing as how I already posted about it in a different thread, I believe a cuttin and pastin is in order...
Alright, I know this does not sound revolutionary at all, but I cannot seem to find a single platformer where each enemy type does not do the same thing every time you see him.

I am currently in the planning stage of a Metroidvania/Duke Nukem/ Cave Story inspired game and I have been playing with the idea of unpredictable enemies. Where even though they may be the same type they do something different every time you see them. Or maybe making different pieces to enemy AI and randomly mashing them together every time you see a certain enemy type.

Not sure if that is clear enough so here is an example on what I mean.
Components of the AI
1. Run
2. Stop at ledge and turn around
3. Jump
4. Run off ledge onto lower platform
5. Jump down platform (much like a player would hold down and hit the jump button)
6. Use item (gun, bomb whatever)
7. Run from player
8. Attack player
9. Climb
10. ETC. (I could go on forever)

Now in the creation process the game would choose 2 or more of these components randomly. So this way the player never thinks "Oh hey, another one of these guys... I just jump and shoot and woo I'm done." The only two problems I can see is that the game may select contradictory components (easily fixable) and it would kind of be rid of that level design around the monster placement (where you enter a room and instantly have to think a way to get around the enemies or get through them) It would kind of remove the strategy aspect of playing a platformer. It may even become frustrating because you never know what an enemy will do next.

What do you guys think?

Also, instead of finding items, you will find Floppy Disks (ol' school!) which will contain programs that you will need to unlock new abilities (jump, shoot, speak, etc.) To use these disks you have to find a computer and with your trusty USB cable, download the file from the disk, to the computer, to you. Computers will double as save points and allow you to play other games (I'm thinking simple... like MacMan or Big Large SpaceRocks) which will allow nifty easter egg like abilities if you get certain achievements.

Excuses as to Why You Can't Play Right This Second
So I am still in the design phase. Got some concept art put down on paper (I AM NOT AN ARTIST) but because my camera is dead and I have no scanner or batteries, it may be a couple days before you get to see it Tongue. Also, I have absolutely no experience in programming... I have taken programming 101, and a basic game design course (using Gamemaker which is what I am using now) so coding will be slow going. I am still coming up with ideas, and very open to comments, criticisms, ideas, flames, emotional scarring, etc. If you got something to say, say it by all means! Keep me motivated! Tongue

tl;dr
You play a game as a robot and stuff!

Thanks for reading!

EDIT #1!
Please note that all the art was made while I was typing up this thread... Figured that pictures would tempt people into actually reading. Still though, the actual game art may not be much better Tongue
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:25:58 AM by Dozer » Logged
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »

Tiny wittle update!

So like I said earlier, I am not an artist... but here is some concept art anyways... Decided to open up GIMP and give it a go.

Here is a strange guy. I wanted to convey that broken feeling. Kinda miss matched parts to make him look like he was built in haste and not put together very well. Gives a good reasoning for having unpredictable behavior. Sometimes his gun just "won't work" because of how he was built. I am kinda diggin the idea. Anyways... on with the crappy artwork!

Please note that all in game artwork is probably going to be ol school pixel art. I do enjoy pixely art so much :D

Will be working on more concept art tonight... Prolly going to do a quick mockup of the menu screen while it's still fresh in my mind. Thanks for reading! :D
Important
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 11:38:52 PM »

I really like the concept - sounds like it has a lot of potential! Beer!
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 04:39:25 AM »

I really like the concept - sounds like it has a lot of potential! Beer!
Hey thanks alot Smiley

More concept art! (Yes, for some reason I like to handle the design, art, then code in that order Tongue)

Just a quick lil menu mockup. Going to refine the hell outta it for the game, but the general idea is there :D

EDIT* In case the icons are not clear...

Installed software
Weapons, Movement, Health, Self Awareness

Inventory
Key, Keycard, Floppy Disk

Hopefully when they are clicked on I will have little stories about the software development (as in Weaponry 1.0 or Movement 2.0 etc) on them as well as their current level and other useful stats (like how much hp or how much damage you can do)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:44:43 AM by Dozer » Logged
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 05:53:48 AM »

A lil abstract art of the main character... (think of it like fanart... from myself xD)

Here he be!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:57:22 AM by Dozer » Logged
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »

More concept art! So this little guy is a super stylish robot who is addicted to hats. He is going to be the player's guide... The guy who gives you missions and helps you out throughout the game. In return for his services you can find him hats which you will be able to see when he talks to you (portrait art ftw!). To deliver his hats you will find various mail boxes around the base. He will be at the control or command or nifty door opener room (name still in progress Tongue) where he will be opening up doors for you. Hat collection is merely for fun, your progress will not be impeded if you can't find his snazzy fedora or functional fez.

Sorry about the image quality... Camera was dying (bought cheap batteries that don't hold a charge lol.) so I had to be quick.

Links for the whole concept page (shows several different hat ideas)
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/UncleDozer/100_4134.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/UncleDozer/100_4133.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/UncleDozer/100_4132.jpg
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/UncleDozer/100_4131.jpg

Thanks for reading! :D

EDIT** Later tonight I am going to throw these images into GIMP and give you guys something a bit cleaner to look at. At the moment I don't have the time. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:32:31 AM by Dozer » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic