Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:31:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] MADRIS - A Real Estate Puzzle Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] MADRIS - A Real Estate Puzzle Game  (Read 4899 times)
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:46:42 PM »

MADRIS - A Real Estate Puzzle Game

Description

An attempt at turning a game about building houses into a Tetris style puzzle game.  As rooms fall they must be placed, connected, and turned into a specific type of room to form sellable houses.
             Inspired by

Download
MADRIS: A Real Estate Puzzle Game.

How to play
Controls:
  • Q, E - Rotate falling piece
  • WASD - Move falling piece around game board
  • Space - Quick drop
  • Right click + Drag - Rotate camera
  • Left click - Perform action

Gameplay:
The goal of the game is to sell houses.  In order to do so, however, you need to take the falling rooms, place them, connect them, and type them.  Only when a house has one of each room type can it be sold.

Obligatory Screenshot:

Postmortem Notes:
I think I'm going to do a thorough postmortem of what went right and wrong (mostly wrong) on this later in the week.  Suffice it to say that while I'm submitting it to to the compo to solicit feedback from others, it's far from complete.  There's no sound, the game's pacing is really bad, the user interface is atrocious, and I think there's a general dearth of content.  That said, I'm not terribly unhappy with where the game ended up.  There are some potentially interesting ideas with delayed gratification in the game I'd like to explore further, the game can easily be modified to play radically differently by changing the conditions in which houses are sellable (I'm debating making a "You need at least one of each room AND the same number of every room type" version), and with additional content, sound, and balance there might just be a decent game in there somewhere.

I'd also like to say I've intentionally avoided reading anything about LiquidAsh's version of MADRIS, and now that I've seen what he's done with the same box art I think it's safe to say we've taken radically different approaches to the game.  If anything his idea is far more awesome - I don't stray too far from established puzzler grounds while he has this really sweet Sims/Tetris thing going on.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:51:54 PM by ChrisFranklin » Logged
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »

Are three types of room all a House needs? What about a Kitchen? or a Living room? Office?

And what is supposed to be the challange behind this game? Connecting rooms randomly and sell them?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »

It's an interesting concept you got here, that with some expansion and polish could turn into something really nice. The complete lack of sound bothers me a bit, but the graphics being nice and clean go well with the theme, even though you should probably rework the UI's general look.

Once I lose and restart, my old hallways stay in place, causing some trouble.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:11:37 AM »

I couldn't figure out how to sell the houses after I made them. Am I missing something?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic