Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:41:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLaika Redux
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Laika Redux  (Read 1061 times)
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:43:59 AM »

Laika Redux
The original version of Laika was hacked together in a few days in order to gain entry to an open day at one of the bigger games studios in my area. After this, I was then told that to apply for jobs, I'd need to show off the code (being a prospective programmer), so I set about rewriting large sections of the game and porting it from GLUT to SDL. My friend, Ratchet, then posted on here about the game. Now, until recently I'd thought that the current incarnation would be good enough of a demo to get my foot in the door, however, it obviously isn't. This is evident from the fact that I'm still one of the great unwashed and unpaid.

I've recently been learning quite a bit about the programmable pipeline and, actually, looking back at Laika's code I can see why I don't have a job. I've started rewriting the graphics engine (again) and I'm using SFML this time. I'm hoping that by starting a thread here I can receive a bit of feedback about both how to improve the game as it is and, possibly, gain a bit of attention for it. Although it's by no means a revolutionary concept, most people I've shown it to seemed to have quite enjoyed it.

Progress

08/08/10:
  • I've written some C++ helper classes to wrap functionality for loading/compiling shaders, linking to shader programs and handling vertex buffer objects.
  • I also have plans for a VertexList class which will manage drawing primitives using a GL_ARRAY_BUFFER and GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER object. Multiple, named attributes will be handled using glVertexAttribArray and automatically-calculated offsets. I'm still trying to decide on a suitable format for the constructor. Perhaps using a std::map?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:10:37 AM by raggy » Logged

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:10:59 AM »

10/08/10:
  • The Primitive (VertexList) class is implemented, although I'm still having trouble accepting the formatting. Still, I shouldn't worry so much: I doubt it will be used directly, most models should be loaded from files.
  • UniformParam objects are in -- they're a really simple wrapper which holds information about the uniform to set and overrides the assignment operator.
  • I've also decided that I should redesign the game before going much further with the coding. That being so, I've decided to make this more of a sequel than a rewrite.

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic