Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:00:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTelepath Tactics (Releasing in April 2015!)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Telepath Tactics (Releasing in April 2015!)  (Read 114276 times)
Houndninja
« Reply #480 on: July 14, 2012, 09:56:23 PM »

I can't wait for this game to come out I'm really excited!!!
If you need beta testers please let me know! Can't wait to get my hands on this..
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: July 15, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »

Thanks! Smiley When the time comes that I need beta testers, I'll put up an announcement.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: July 16, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »

A small update: movement abilities that use the "Teleport" move type are no longer constrained to destinations in a straight line with the user. To wit: you can teleport diagonally.

Oh, also: I've posted the official July update on the Sinister Design website, along with a lengthy look at the new single player campaign mode. Check it out! Smiley

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: July 17, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »

I am currently in the middle of adding stat gains and attacks for leveling up in the campaign mode.

In the meantime--for those of you who haven't seen it yet, the latest teaser showing off the single player campaign is right here!

Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 17, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »

Looking nice, and polished. The game's "set and setting" aren't my cup of tea, but what I would be interested in hearing is; What three of four things you would say set your game apart from the other similar squad-turn based tactical games (the USPs - unique selling points).

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: July 17, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »

I think the green of that grass is a bit too vivid Craig.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: July 18, 2012, 03:46:48 AM »

What three of four things you would say set your game apart from the other similar squad-turn based tactical games (the USPs - unique selling points).

Just three or four? Wink Okay, I'll bite:

(1) Determinism. Most fantasy tactics games use mechanics drawn from Dungeons and Dragons or Final Fantasy, where all characters have chances to randomly miss attacks and damage is at least somewhat randomized. Not Telepath Tactics--this game extends the Telepath RPG system, which largely eschews randomness in favor of a much purer tactical experience. Attacks always hit (with few, clearly defined exceptions), and deal damage that you can always predict with a little forethought. If you lose a battle, it almost certainly won't be because of bad luck.

(2) Depth. This game has one of the most feature-rich tactical engines I've seen (and I've seen a lot of them): it has bridge building, constructable barricades, a destructible environment, explosive charges, environmental hazards, elevation effects, random item drops, the ability to push, pull and throw friends and enemies, 22 different character classes with dozens of unique attacks and elemental resistances...I could go on, but I think I'll refer you to the game's page--the list of features is pretty long.

(3) Moddability. Telepath Tactics is moddable as all hell. And I don't mean that it will be--I mean that it already is. Everything from the maps to the attacks to the items to the character classes is contained in easy-to-edit external .xml and .png files, meaning that you can mod in new stuff quite easily. The game already supports custom tilesets, custom destructible objects, custom attacks, custom items and custom character classes.

Custom battles are not only supported, they are supported with a robust, full-featured map editor that makes it really really easy to make them. The map editor, in turn, fully supports any and all custom tilesets, destructible objects, or character classes you might mod into the game. I've used the editor to create every map in the game so far--it makes content creation quite easy.

(4) Flexibility. Telepath Tactics games support up to 6 players at once. The game will support both hotseat and internet multiplayer, meaning that you aren't forced to sit alone on separate computers to battle your friends: you can all meet up together and actually play in the same room. Hotseat games are a ton of fun--personally, I've had several parties based around them, and they're always a blast. Conversely, the game comes with a pretty solid enemy AI if you prefer to play matches against the computer by yourself, or cooperatively with friends.

(5) Customizability. Matches are highly customizable, featuring options ranging from army composition rules to fog of war to ally pass-through. There are three different game types as well (and potentially more to come).

I'd say that that rounds it out pretty well.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: July 18, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »

Characters now level up in battle in the campaign mode, correctly gaining stats and learning new attacks!

Character level up properties are set externally in the character classes .xml, right where the characters themselves are defined. You can individually set each character's tendency to gain points in certain stats upon level-up, and define what new attacks they learn at which level. It's very very easy to do! Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

The way stat gains work is akin to dealing the top two cards of a small deck. Each character gets a leveling tendency score for each stat (health, strength, etc.) that tells the game how many "cards" for that stat to add to the "deck." Upon level up, the game randomly select two "cards" from the "deck."

So, for example: if a character has a Health score of 5 and a Strength score of 2, the game will add 5 Health "cards" to the "deck" and 2 Strength "cards." This means that the game is most likely to select Health twice, but it's also possible that it will select Strength twice, or else both Health and Strength.

Upon level-up, the game produces a series of pop-ups over the character telling you what level they now are, what they've gained in which stats, and--if they've learned a new attack--which new attack they've learned. It's pretty slick-looking.

With all of that now working, I need to go back and make experience, levels, and character stats actually carry over between battles!

Moczan
« Reply #488 on: July 18, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »

(2) Depth. This game has one of the most feature-rich tactical engines I've seen (and I've seen a lot of them): it has bridge building, constructable barricades, a destructible environment, explosive charges, environmental hazards, elevation effects, random item drops, the ability to push, pull and throw friends and enemies, 22 different character classes with dozens of unique attacks and elemental resistances...I could go on, but I think I'll refer you to the game's page--the list of features is pretty long.

If it only used projection that better shows elevation and allows more level designs(i.e. isometric with rotation) it would be the ultimate tactic game. I'm a big fan of your article about how to make RPG systems deeper and I see that you implements most stuff you talk about. Great inspiration for my dream turn-based strategy RPG that I will make in a next 10 or 20 years.

While we are on that, was the projection purely a technical/budget choice, or design one?
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: July 18, 2012, 09:05:18 AM »

The Telepath Tactics engine grew out of some idle experiments with making a variant on Telepath RPG that used Fire Emblem style character movement. The projection was a design choice that I made sort of by default; elevation was something I didn't think about until later on.

I don't think it was necessarily a bad choice to avoid isometric perspective, though. Isometric is a pain to code, and it's much harder for the player to judge where things are, spatially. I still have plans for elevation that will make it more relevant in future builds, projected perspective aside.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:03:02 AM by Craig Stern » Logged

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: July 18, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »

Another update! I've coded in a gaggle of new hotkeys based on player feedback.

1-9 - auto-select whatever attack corresponds to the number chosen
A  -  toggle the attacks menu
M  -  toggle character movement
C  -  show detailed info screen for currently selected character

These join the others already present in the game:

Space - auto-select next character
Esc   -   cancel out of menu / deselect character
P     -     pause game
I     -     toggle inventory menu
Shift + M - toggle minimap
arrow keys - pan around battlefield
E     -     end your turn
Ctrl + Shift + S - surrender
Shift + click  -  focus camera on spot clicked
F10 - take screenshot
F12 - take screenshot of the entire battlefield
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:21:01 AM by Craig Stern » Logged

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: July 19, 2012, 08:37:50 AM »

Look out, look out--the animations are coming! Epileptic

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #492 on: July 19, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »

oh my god those are amazing! oh and this project looks great to say the least.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: July 19, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »

Wow, they're really coming. WHERE ARE THEY GOIN'  Durr...?

Bowman <3

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: July 19, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

Those are fantastic. But for some reason the crossbow looks a little small.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: July 20, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »

Thanks!

But for some reason the crossbow looks a little small.

That's what she said?

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: July 20, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »

Implementing save/load functionality for campaign mode is taking a little bit longer than expected. In the meantime, why not read this lovely new article I wrote about ways to improve turn-based combat systems?

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: July 21, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »

I did an interview earlier in the week with 8 Bits and Pieces talking about Telepath Tactics. About halfway into the interview, we start talking about AI and unit balancing, which may be of particular interest to my fellow devs. Check it out: http://8bitsandpieces.com/?p=313

On the game progress front, I've fixed a variety of small bugs related to use of the new hotkeys. Meanwhile, work continues on saving and loading!

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: July 21, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »

I just added a few dozen new transition tiles to the Castle tileset, in case you feel like sticking a castle in the middle of water or lava. You can see me fooling around with some of them in the map editor here:

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: July 22, 2012, 12:02:47 AM »

Save and load are now working for the single player campaign! The game autosaves at the conclusion of each battle, then uses that data to carry over level-ups and other changes to your characters for subsequent battles. There is now also a Load button that lets you resume your campaign from wherever you left off, also using that same autosave data. Handy!

In the future, I'll be adding more save slots for voluntary (i.e. not auto-) saving. Wink

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic