Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:15:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGenres that don't get enough attention
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Genres that don't get enough attention  (Read 6404 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »

I kinda wish more games would look into the Animal Crossing style of sandbox. Rather than just blowing up stuff and stealing cars, it'd be cool to see what else a developer could do with a small but highly interactive environment. Seeing as games are usually all about the locations, it'd be cool to have a game that focused entirely on this- like an island community that the players joins. They could chat with the locals, trade items, build a crude sailboat and explore the islands off the coast, and soak in the scenery at different times of day.

Animal crossing + wind waker = Animal waker?

also, stealth kills help the waiting problem a lot, as it leaves a bit more margin for error overall and rewards your patience pretty well. if you have to leave everybody alive it often makes it more of a timing puzzle and a lot less satisfying.

That's why we have distraction (noise, false alert, etc...), no need to kill.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 12:00:31 PM »

A game based on ugly boxart could be brilliant. I second this one.

On that note, I'd love to see more games branch out into other methods of stylization. We've got plenty of games that have tried cel-shading, but they tend to draw on either modern Western comics or modern Japanese comics. It'd be cool to see someone try and make a game based off of Winsor McCay, or Osamu Tezuka. Hell, why hasn't anyone tried to make a game based on Moebius' artwork?

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 01:23:31 PM »

On that note, I'd love to see more games branch out into other methods of stylization.

What's that you say? A game based on Zdzisław Beksiński's work?

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »

Holy crap, yes please. Really, we could ask developers to try making games that look like anybody in the Badass Art Styles thread and it would be completely mind-blowing.
I kinda wish more games would look into the Animal Crossing style of sandbox. Rather than just blowing up stuff and stealing cars, it'd be cool to see what else a developer could do with a small but highly interactive environment. Seeing as games are usually all about the locations, it'd be cool to have a game that focused entirely on this- like an island community that the players joins. They could chat with the locals, trade items, build a crude sailboat and explore the islands off the coast, and soak in the scenery at different times of day.

Animal crossing + wind waker = Animal waker?

Now that I think about it, that's pretty much what I was imagining. And yeah, that'd be awesome. Least, I think it'd be awesome.
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2010, 02:04:20 AM »

Holy crap, yes please. Really, we could ask developers to try making games that look like anybody in the Badass Art Styles thread and it would be completely mind-blowing.

Compo theme anyone ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic