Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:27:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingArcho - Simple block-shifting puzzle game
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Archo - Simple block-shifting puzzle game  (Read 32442 times)
bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2007, 05:09:26 AM »

This is a project that I've been wanting to make for well over a year. Took long enough to find programmers for the job, I can't program for sh*t.

Anyway, sort of a combination of Puyo Puyo/Tetris Attack/Zoo Keeper. Like a lot of 'stylized' puzzle games recently, the game will (Yeh, the game isn't complete yet) include various skins and backgrounds to unlock and what not.

Anyway, you need Windows Vista/XP/2000/98/95 to try it out. Not sure what specs but as long as you got 600MHz or so it should run fine. And you need around 2MB of free space (I know, a lot). It also uses OpenGL for its rendering and stuff, so make sure you have the crap ready for that.

Concept Screens (some old, some new, some in-game):

Download Link 1 (Hot Fuss Skin):
http://www.curiositylabs.co.uk/hotfussarchodemo.zip
Download Link 2 (Tropica Skin):
http://www.curiositylabs.co.uk/demo.zip

Enjoy.

Feedback, positive/negative. Constructives cool. First post for me. Whoop.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 06:14:50 AM by skarmachild » Logged
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:16:43 AM »

What is supposed to set this apart from the other match N games?

bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 07:06:55 AM »

Didn't say it was different. You could say the same for alot of the 'shmups by indie devs out there. Just my version of an overdone game.

Maybe next time I'll try something original. Hey - a lot of people like this though and would gladly pay for the final release (though it's free).
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:07:19 AM »

Just for that I'm trying this one out  Cool

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 07:20:39 AM »

Hey - a lot of people like this though and would gladly pay for the final release (though it's free).

Really?

Last block-based game I played that I really liked was BlockSum and that was free.

bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 07:31:18 AM »

Hey - a lot of people like this though and would gladly pay for the final release (though it's free).

Really?

Last block-based game I played that I really liked was BlockSum and that was free.

Yes. Not everyone is you though. I'm sure some will enjoy it, it isn't suppose to blow up the world with its creativity.

Have you even played it yet?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 07:37:23 AM »

Does he have to?  You already said it isn't different from other Match games.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:40:59 AM »

Well, I played it when I first read your posts. You swap two blocks to make rows. Blocks fall from the ceiling as you play. You can cause chain reactions. Am I missing anything?

I'm curious why you're so excited about it, since you've posted it in three different places, you said its something you've wanted to make for over a year and you claim lots of people want to pay money for it. So I'm trying to figure out what makes this a game that people would want to play instead of one of all the other games that are pretty much the same thing.

bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 07:44:05 AM »

Well, I played it when I first read your posts. You swap two blocks to make rows. Blocks fall from the ceiling as you play. You can cause chain reactions. Am I missing anything?

I'm curious why you're so excited about it, since you've posted it in three different places, you said its something you've wanted to make for over a year and you claim lots of people want to pay money for it. So I'm trying to figure out what makes this a game that people would want to play instead of one of all the other games that are pretty much the same thing.

Not sure, it's just something of mine that I've wanted to do, and to see it come to life is kinda exciting. Some random doodles I drew ages ago has become something.

You lot are probably accustomed to it all by now but it's something new to me so I'm just happy about it.

And I'm not sure why they like it so much, you'd have to ask them, not me.

Does he have to?  You already said it isn't different from other Match games.

Didn't say he had to. I was just going to ask his opinion on it if he did play it.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 07:47:05 AM »

Not sure, it's just something of mine that I've wanted to do, and to see it come to life is kinda exciting. Some random doodles I drew ages ago has become something.

That's cool, man. But what kinda feedback are you looking for, then?

bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 07:51:34 AM »

That's cool, man. But what kinda feedback are you looking for, then?

I should be more precise I suppose.

I'm not dissapointed with the feedback I got, it's just that this is the first thing that has been made out of what I envisioned so I suppose it isn't anything new or fancy.

What I am actually looking for is improvements for the game, like.. maybe modes of play or special blocks etc. I know the game might not be your cup of tea, but I'm sure it is someone elses. Also, an opinion is good on if the actual game is enjoyable or not.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 08:25:30 AM »

Well, I have to come back to BlockSum again. I mean that was a game that took existing elements, added one really solid idea to them, and that fusion created a new-enough type of game that was really addictive. This sounds a bit like what you're starting to think about with things to add to the game to make it more interesting. To me, some interesting dynamic other than just swapping blocks, would be a possible step towards making it a game that I'd be interested in playing.

And for the record, I do like these types of games. I love Puzzle Fighter. BlockSum is incredibly addictive. The gameboy version of Tetris is a fav. But your game just doesn't do anything for me in its current state, as you already know its the bare bones, it only does things that many other games do better... and you also haven't shown me a vision of why I'd be interested in it when its finished.

But it sounds like you're comfortable with that.

bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 08:33:06 AM »

Well, I have to come back to BlockSum again. I mean that was a game that took existing elements, added one really solid idea to them, and that fusion created a new-enough type of game that was really addictive. This sounds a bit like what you're starting to think about with things to add to the game to make it more interesting. To me, some interesting dynamic other than just swapping blocks, would be a possible step towards making it a game that I'd be interested in playing.

And for the record, I do like these types of games. I love Puzzle Fighter. BlockSum is incredibly addictive. The gameboy version of Tetris is a fav. But your game just doesn't do anything for me in its current state, as you already know its the bare bones, it only does things that many other games do better... and you also haven't shown me a vision of why I'd be interested in it when its finished.

But it sounds like you're comfortable with that.

Well, I am happy with the turn out. But it's barely complete (barely playable for that matter) with tonnes of features missing.

I just want to know what features would make it a better game really, thats all.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 08:51:24 AM »

Well, I am happy with the turn out. But it's barely complete (barely playable for that matter) with tonnes of features missing.

I just want to know what features would make it a better game really, thats all.

You have two options, really.

1) Have a really good original idea within this genre and implement it well.
2) Find all the really good bonuses in other games of this ilk and implement them well.

Otherwise, there's no real reason to play your game. Now, we might be able to help you with (1) but I doubt many people will because this places isn't massively casual in terms of designers, and (2) is something you'd have to do yourself.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 08:54:21 AM »

Also for 1), if someone has come up with an ingenious idea for a puzzle/block game, they're not likely to just give it away on a forum... more like they'd just go off and make it themselves.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »

Also for 1), if someone has come up with an ingenious idea for a puzzle/block game, they're not likely to just give it away on a forum... more like they'd just go off and make it themselves.

This is very true. Smiley

Unless they've had a dynamite idea, but they've also had another dynamite idea in a genre which isn't the sole domain of whores. Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 08:59:51 AM »

Maybe TIGSource should start a new project... the ultimate skinnable puzzle game collection.

Put every variation of Match3 in. Maybe some LUA scriptable rules, so users can add custom game types. Add the ability to skin every single graphic, sound, music loop and title screen so people can play whatever theme they want, whenever they want.

Then release it for free.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »

Maybe TIGSource should start a new project... the ultimate skinnable puzzle game collection.

Put every variation of Match3 in. Maybe some LUA scriptable rules, so users can add custom game types. Add the ability to skin every single graphic, sound, music loop and title screen so people can play whatever theme they want, whenever they want.

Then release it for free.

Haha, you know, I really quite like that idea. I mean we sure as shit could make it look good.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 09:16:45 AM »

Haha, you know, I really quite like that idea. I mean we sure as shit could make it look good.

QFT  Cool

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 09:27:27 AM »

I think it would suck big time for demografic that is meant to play it. I mean ... if you don't like the gameplay at least a bit then I think you can't force good game out of yourself... even if it's a match-3.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic