Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:19:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingArcho - Simple block-shifting puzzle game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Archo - Simple block-shifting puzzle game  (Read 32641 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 09:32:28 AM »

None of us hate that type of gameplay. What we hate is how there are so many games released in that genre that are nearly identical.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 12:02:44 PM »

Maybe TIGSource should start a new project... the ultimate skinnable puzzle game collection.

Put every variation of Match3 in. Maybe some LUA scriptable rules, so users can add custom game types. Add the ability to skin every single graphic, sound, music loop and title screen so people can play whatever theme they want, whenever they want.

Then release it for free.

Haha, you know, I really quite like that idea. I mean we sure as shit could make it look good.

Yes!  Throw Sudoku in that motherfucker as well, just for shits. :D
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »

Yes!  Throw Sudoku in that motherfucker as well, just for shits. :D

Make it Picross and you've got a deal! Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »

My games free  Cry
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 03:44:19 PM »

My games free  Cry

No game is free. They require an investment of time. If they're crap, then where's the return on that investment?

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 04:22:27 PM »

My games free  Cry

No game is free. They require an investment of time. If they're crap, then where's the return on that investment?

Exactly.  The point is that you're making a game that's not adding any value to the game-o-sphere (or whatever).  Which is definitely your right to do, but what's the point?

You want people to put some sprinkles on your ice cream, but all you've got right now is an empty cone.  Or something. Embarrassed
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 08:41:21 AM »

If they're crap, then where's the return on that investment?
It's right there until you flush. I just don't think you'll want it.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:10 AM »

Exactly.  The point is that you're making a game that's not adding any value to the game-o-sphere (or whatever).  Which is definitely your right to do, but what's the point?

You want people to put some sprinkles on your ice cream, but all you've got right now is an empty cone.  Or something. Embarrassed

With a dog poo in it. Wink

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »

the blunt edge of TIGForums... I love it

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Albert Lai
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 01:46:01 PM »

A lot has already been stated, but eh. Match-3 games are, quite possibly, one of hte most over-farmed genre in all of existence. Someone should honestly let that field lie fallow a few years (idea: kill all bare-bones match-3 developers and let their kids repopulate the field. Gotta be a few fresh ideas in a 20-year gap, right?)

An excellent example of Match-3 in an recent implementation is that of Puzzle Quest, linked by Penny Arcade last Friday.

Puzzle Quest is mainly Match-3, but wrapped up with an RPG combat system. Match skulls to deal damage, 4-in-a-row allows you to take another turn, colors now act as 'mana' and the various trinkets that come with the RPG genre cause it to be, perhaps, a black hole of addiction from which you will never escape.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »

I thought I'd enjoy Puzzle Quest more than I have. It's just that despite there being a layer of strategy on top of it, a crapload of the gameplay just comes down to exceedingly jammy chain-reactions which you cannot predict.

Of course that's all well when it happens to the player, but dammit those enemy bastards benefit from them too! No fair!

However your culling policy is sensible and well advised. Wink

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »

Slightly off topic, I suppose, but I'm curious - does anyone else find match three games really difficult? I consider myself a fairly hardcore gamer (hell, I finished Clean Asia the other day), and these Match-3 thingies are touted as definitive casual games - but I find them bloody hard to play. I can't ever seem to think more than about a move ahead, so I only get big scores by accident.

Is this how everybody plays these games? Is it just a matter of clicking as fast as possible, or do you have to plan ahead to wipe out big selections at once?

Albert Lai
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »

Same here, actually. I suppose a person accustomed to RPGs and Shmups shouldn't try 'casual' gaming. :D

It requires more thought than "bash bash baargh bleem! level up magicks." I rarely even try in Puzzle Quest, which usually means I manage to miss a 5-in-a-row that I could've used. Also, I'm fairly certain that if the game finds a situation where it can screw you over by dropping a skull the perfect place to zap you, it does.

Back on topic - At least the interface is certainly nice! xD
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »

My games free  Cry

See, there are these two butt cheeks, right...

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
bweezl
Level 0

man the torpedos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2007, 02:16:52 PM »

Well we're already working on a future block matching puzzle game. Yeh, match-3, same crap.

But not limited to a grid, physics engine involved, and such things like wind and natural elements (volcanos errupting and such) can alter stuff. Visibly alter things. Kinda like Gish, with blocks, puzzlified, with cannons.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »

Kinda like Gish, with blocks, puzzlified

Ever heard of Blast Miner? Its by the guys who made Gish.

wonderpus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 12:23:45 PM »

Wow you guys are being really harsh on this guy ..
he created something
regardless of the content he should be proud of himself for that .

I've worked on some stinkers in my career as a developer,
should i hide my head in shame because of them ?
should i give up programming and game development ?
or take the bumps , learn from my ( or others ) mistakes and move on

the moral here is if you aren't doing anything NEW then don't bother posting on these forums ..

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2007, 12:58:05 PM »

Nothing wrong with doing something that isn't totally original.

But there's also something to be said for doing a good job of it.

Its not only that his current concept has no originality, its also that its not even an interesting implementation or a well made one. I know its not finished, but he's asking people for input on what he has now.

Its really hard to give input that isn't just "make it better" or "do something else". Its almost like he wants someone to design a game for him, because there's nothing in there right now that isn't in any other game, and in most cases, done better.

In the end, he's asking for feedback, and we're being honest. I don't think I've been particularly harsh. I can't speak for anyone else's comments. (*cough* Goring *cough*)

But really I think honest feedback, even if some of it seems brutal, will be more useful in the long run than insincere pats on the back.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »

Also, I think its offensive that you think we're trying to tell him to stop making games. Nobody said that.

We're just commenting on what he's put out there now.

We've probably all made games in the past that we're not too proud of today.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »

the moral here is if you aren't doing anything NEW then don't bother posting on these forums ..

The moral is that if you post on these forums, you should expect honest critiques.  If you want someone to play with your weiner just because it feels good, then I hear the Indiegamer forums are always looking for new members. Wink

(By the way, I will totally amend the above statement to include the weinerless members of our species as soon as some weinerless members join!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic