Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:19:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Maker Woes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker Woes  (Read 4175 times)
Mischief Maker
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:46:47 AM »

It happened again!  Cry

I have a recurring problem with game maker games, and it seems that a complete hard drive format and reinstall (which I do once a semester anyway) is the only cure.

For a while game maker games run just fine.  Then suddenly they stop running at all.  The system just sits for about 20 seconds, then I get the error message, "Failed to load the game data, File seems corrupted."  This happens for ALL game maker games.

The only unusual thing I did last night that might have set this off was trying "Rom check failed."

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem that does not involve a system wipe?
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:21:40 AM »

I have had this on a very few occasions with my version of GM. The only tips I can give with respect to GM and this issue is the following:

- There is a rather strong correlation between file size and file corruptibility in GM. Refrain from overly using large images or MP3 files if you are doing so. Most of the times I heard other people have this issue, it coincided with a filesize of 10 Mb and up. Mostly way up.

- Load a GM backup file (.gb1 etc files) if your main file got corrupted. Usually it will work.

- Always save in alternating files, i.e. save a project as mygame, then when you want to save it again, save it e.g. as mygame_bu. This way you always have one file that is non-corrupted an reasonably up to date.

I know this is not the good news you are looking for, but I have never had the arghhh file corrupted experience ever since I kept it into consideration. For other people, it may be interesting to mention:
- What your OS is
- Which version of GM you are using
- What your typical file size is

This way we can see of there are overlapping experiences.

Mischief Maker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:29:53 AM »

I'm not even talking about developing with Game Maker.  I'm just talking about running games like Clean Asia and Magi and Immortal Defense.  EVERY game maker game on my machine won't run suddenly, even though they were running just fine yesterday.
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:02:38 AM »

I actually had some problems similar to this with GM game files becoming corrupted, and it turned out to be a dodgy stick of ram that I'd bought off Ebay not long before.

It's unlikely that its the same problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:37:08 AM »

I remember you posted a thread about this problem on MAGI board. One of the users there posted this reply:

I had this issue with the demo actually and found a solution.

Updated DirectX to 9.0c but did not correct the problem.

What I did right after was to update my .Net Framework to the new 3.5 edition.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx

3.0 may have worked as well but I decided to go to the more recent version.

Sure enough, Magi loads. : )

Also do note that I had some issues with the bootstrapper edition (where it downloads a small file to then download all the other files from the net) - they do have a link with the full install further down the page after you select to access 3.5.

Hope it helps.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:20:58 AM »

Rom check failed has caused an area in GM rom.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
medieval
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »

:D

Eh.. hm, maybe it was not a joke.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:30:47 AM by medieval » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »

So what does this mean anyway?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic