Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:23:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProbability 0 ... again
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Probability 0 ... again  (Read 5583 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »

It's going to be made in flash. Original game's thread is here. I still need a name for this port/remake/sequel. It won't be totally different, but it won't be totally the same? Sure, let's go with that. Sounds good to me.

FEATURES

Things that won't change
You descend down into an infinite pit, the screen scrolling down and giving you ample time to descend... so long as you remain focused. Falling too far will hurt, so don't do that. Make safe drops, and never let yourself fall off-screen.
The basic abilities you start off with are the ground-only side punch and the in-air star drop.
As you pickup the items spawned from destroyed enemies, you gain points which can be used to purchase wonderful abilities.

Things that will change
There will be more and better abilities.
There will be more and more interesting enemies.
There will be more block types.
There will be fewer bugs and less lag and no download (unless I start doing something really crazy like selling the game) because I'm making it in FLASH!
The game will be a little more newbie-friendly.
The late game's difficulty will not be neutered.

---> There may be temporary items to pick up and carry, granting you abilities that last until the item is either used up or discarded. Carrying an item will fill up your hands, meaning you won't be able to use your regular abilities (punch, star) without first getting rid of the item you're holding!

Anything else? Nope, I guess that's it.

DROQEN'S LITTLE (literally) BRAINSTORMING SESSION
Tripmines such as those found in Half-Life. Attached to the side of a block, upon the laser's interruption (by you or one of your stars) the mine will blow up, taking the block with it.
Some explosions in general.
Enemies who throw pointy stars that stick into walls, remaining there until you bump into them (they will hurt!)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:12:18 AM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:56:08 PM »

As you pickup the items spawned from destroyed enemies, you gain points which can be used to purchase wonderful abilities.
You worded this in a way that sounds different, but since you put it in the same category, I'll ignore it.
There will be more and better abilities.
There will be more and more interesting enemies.
There will be more block types.
More is good.
The game will be a little more newbie-friendly.
The late game's difficulty will not be neutered.
Good. On both accounts.
---> There may be items to pick up... for temporary use!
Meh. I think instead of timed powerups, it would be neat to have one-use items you could pick up. Something like a shield that stops the next point(s) of damage you take.

DROQEN'S LITTLE (literally) BRAINSTORMING SESSION
Tripmines such as those found in Half-Life. Attached to the side of a block, upon the laser's interruption (by you or one of your stars) the mine will blow up, taking the block with it.
Some explosions in general.
Enemies who throw pointy stars that stick into walls, remaining there until you bump into them (they will hurt!)

All sound great. Especially more explosions.
For trip mines, why not have them on the top/bottom as well?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »

---> There may be items to pick up... for temporary use!
Meh. I think instead of timed powerups, it would be neat to have one-use items you could pick up. Something like a shield that stops the next point(s) of damage you take.

This may have been worded badly (my apologies).

By 'temporary' I don't mean timed, but rather something akin to a gun with a certain number of bullets or, indeed, a shield that absorbs damage the next time you would take damage.

These items would need to be 'held', however, meaning you can't use any of your other handy abilities (punches, stars) until the item is used up or discarded.

~

Good to see your approval and your continued following of P0 in its second reincarnation :D
Don't know what I'd do without you, mokesmoe! :3

edit :: top/bottom as well, definitely

SUPER POWER BRAINSTORM

Some kind of exceptional powers to be unlocked late game; perhaps you only get to pick one from this pool.

Air Intangibility - While in the air, you CANNOT BE HURT. It's as simple as that. You also don't set off tripmines and stuff like that. Awesome, no?

Double Jump - Yes, the great DOUBLE JUMP is going to be one of a few ridiculously awesome SUPER POWERS. It might be buffed up a bit. Maybe it won't need it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:15:38 AM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »

1: Sounds good.

2: Thanks Droqin! ;3
I think I may have used this one before.

3: I think I just misinterpreted the way you used the word 'side'. (One of the 4 sides of the block.)
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:34:07 AM »

all sounds good. you have my support.

ChevyRay
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:09:27 PM »

Excellent! Good luck with this, Droqen. You know very well that you have me for any tech support, as usual Wink
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:37:20 PM »

:D

Flashpunk is my one love
... amongst actionscript libraries geared towards making games

Thanks Chevy and JMickle (and mokesmoe again) for the assistances and support you have extended towards me :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:25:22 PM by Droqen » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »

random trivia writing; analyzing my own game!

the Squids in Probability 0 were crazy.
1. They moved in a crazy and unpredictable way, circling and bouncing off of walls
2. Upon being struck, they darted off in a random direction, making them a terrible target for 1-damage basic punches-- and giving them more of a survival mechanism than some other enemies.
3. They had good survival instinct (go DOWN and don't fall off the top of the screen). Combined with point # 1, this meant they often pooled at the bottom.
4. Along with gathering at the bottom, Squids shot upwards projectiles-- meaning they were dangerous targets for the basic Star Drop, and also for Stomping.

etc etc

Other enemies were not nearly as nuanced or complicated as these crazy bastards.

It's been fun porting them back in.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:34:32 PM by Droqen » Logged

Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:46:41 AM »

Lol, I love how you talk about them like they are a problem that you are going to fix and then tell us how they are going to be in the game xD.

Just played the original for about 3 hours... Can't stop playing... can't even get to 1km though >.<

Can't wait for the flash port!

EDIT** Forgot to mention that those squids are my most hated enemy.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:38:27 PM by Dozer » Logged
Curseman
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »

Excellent.  Looking forward to this.

Enemies who throw pointy stars

This made me think of an "evil twin" enemy who has the same abilities as the player character.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »

An enemy with the same abilities as the player character is unlikely to happen ... unless he's a lot less mobile or a lot less smart! It would be cool, though, I do admit. Maybe just an enemy who stands in place and fires a mockery of your ranged attack in one of three directions.

Oh and: CURRENT FLASH VERSION

This version contains a feature unique to the new P0 that was often requested.
See if you can figure it out.
Also I need a little feedback: How do the new solid blocks look alongside the still-smaller glass blocks?

EDIT
I'm leaving for the weekend!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:52:17 AM by Droqen » Logged

Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »

This version contains a feature unique to the new P0 that was often requested.
See if you can figure it out.

Invincibility?  Noir
Dr. Weird
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »

MORE P0? What more could anyone ask for?
Can players fiddle with the soundtrack this time?
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 11:44:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure I was always requesting being attacked by 50 million squid while having no stars, working fists, spikes, upgrades or HUD, so I'm glad you finally got that in there.
Took you long enough.
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 08:09:08 AM »

Hey hey, I finally got around to playing Prob 0 for the first time. It makes me superexcited for the new stuff that you have planned.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »

I'm pretty sure I was always requesting being attacked by 50 million squid while having no stars, working fists, spikes, upgrades or HUD, so I'm glad you finally got that in there.
Took you long enough.
Well, I'm pretty sure what Droqen is talking about in terms of what he has added.
I believe the "new" featute was the ability to be knocked out of the air, and they way the main hero falls down now.

Or it's something smaller then that much much smaller.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:24:44 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »

Oohoohoo nobody's guessed it quite yet.
 Wizard

In other news you should check out my Ludum Dare entry

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »

Okay, okay, so nobody guessed what the solved mini-issue was. Maybe everyone forgot about it! Anyway, I'm gonna get back to work on this soon, I swear -- but it may not return to full swing until the 15th of september.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »

Wait there were spikes in the flash demo? Huh?
(Demo doesn't work for me right now, so I can't check)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 06:38:02 AM »

Not spikes, but blocks are different sizes (it probably helped with the confusion!)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic