Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 11:42:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNoah's Express - Chu Chu Rocket style level designers wanted
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Noah's Express - Chu Chu Rocket style level designers wanted  (Read 1250 times)
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:28:37 AM »

Hello there,

I've got a little game engine for a Chu Chu Rocket type game, but the problem at the moment is levels. I remember the GBA version of the original Chu Chu Rocket came with about a gazillion levels made by the Dreamcast owners of the game, and figured that it would be great if I could release this (alongside a story campaign) with a decent set.

The project is called Noah's Express and in some ways it plays exactly like Chu Chu Rocket, and in some ways it completely doesn't. The aim is to guide the train from one side to the other, whilst avoiding the 'moles' and 'holes' and, if possible, pick up some passengers on the way for extra reward.

After seeing the awesome work on the Level Design Workshop thing, I thought it'd be good practice as well for any puzzle peeps to get their level designing hats on.

Some notes:
- The movement should be exactly the same on every run, even at double speed (if you right click the 'traffic light' whilst running)
- The game will save whether the level is completable or not (you have to test the level and complete it to change the flag to green).
- The devil enemies are not implemented yet, and I'm still considering what extra 'talents' they will have. For the moment, just use the moles.
- You can amend both the start and end positions of the level.
- Both moles and the train can fall down the holes
- There is only aesthetic differences between the animals, and also water/hole, and the four block graphics.
- At the bottom of the screen are options to change the length of the carriage and the number of arrows the player is allowed to use.
- Indestructible arrows can also be placed.

Anyhow, hope I can get some people up to do this. Because its the levels that make a game. I've included a few of varying difficulty in the zip to get you going. Also, suggestions for the editor and game in general are welcome.

Oh! Forgot to mention, you can post your levels here, or PM me, or e-mail me (jimbobriley (at) gmail (dot) com), or screenshot it, or draw it on coloured paper, on a postcard, on #tigirc if I'm around, on the moon in laser writing, whichever...  Smiley

Kudos to Adamski for the graphics, even though he insists on making them even better Tongue

Last release: sync::routine
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:55:29 AM »

Ooh, this looks pretty neat.  I loved Chu Chu Rocket.  Will aim to check it out later.

Do feel free to plug it on the Level Design Workshop thread too if you want to.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »

I'm finding the in game interface rather awkward.  I can't tell what arrow I currently have selected, and it was veeeeery unobvious that right-mouse was erase.  Also keyboard shortcuts for arrow selection would be great.

Something weird seems to be going on with the passengers, they don't match up in game with what I put in the editor (sometimes the wrong animal, sometimes not appearing at all).

Also I appear to have lost my chu chu level design skills completely  Facepalm

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »

Ahh some work needs to be done on the ingame interface. Left-click currently cycles through the available arrows, right click deletes. I think I have/(had?) a keyboard system implemented, but it uses Ctrl and Shift as direct replacements of the mouse buttons. I could probably have a system like the GBA version where there was a button for each (if the arrow was available...), maybe WASD perhaps?

Will check on the passengers... thanks for that.

Last release: sync::routine
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic