Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:07:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAlien Trophy Hunter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Alien Trophy Hunter  (Read 7808 times)
PixelRebirth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:55:47 AM »

Okay, let me tell you something about my current project called ALIEN TROPHY HUNTER.

It's a horizontal Shoot'Em Up with (who would have guessed)pixel graphics.

In distant future a big population of an alien species is discovered in space. These lifeforms are not considered as a threat to the human race, since their level of intelligence can be compared to animals. One man decides to go hunting for some big alien trophies.

The player will also leave the spaceship and fight short episodes on foot, but the emphasis is on the classic Shoot'Em Up part.

Of course the game will feature upgradeable weapons, although not too many of them. Other standards of the genre like big boss enemies are positive as well. Three levels are being worked on, the final level count may be raised to five though.

That's it for now, remember to check out my site...
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »

Cool!  I like pixel graphics and shoot 'em ups!  Reminds me of the Sega Genesis, for some reason... perhaps it's the palette.

Critiques:

The player ship looks rather odd to me.  I don't really like the way the body is segmented.  The idea of a ship that looks like a sub is cool, but I think the execution could be done a little better.

The background could also use a lot more variation, although I realize you've just started.

And speaking of Genesis shmups, Gynoug had some scary ass shit in it. Shocked

PixelRebirth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 07:08:08 AM »

You're not the first one telling me my stuff has a Genesis feeling to it. Although it's not really intentional it happens... you're also not the first guy that doesn't feel quite comfortable with the spaceship. So there might be something about it, haha Grin. But as you've guessed, nothing can be considered final yet.

Omg Gynoug, how could I have forgot about that... it has really some of the greatest boss/creature designs of all time. You've doomed me by posting a Gynoug screenie in my game's thread. I've drawn a news boss enemy this night...

Now I'm fucked up cause that doesn't match the other graphics I've done so far. I wanted to keep things rather simple, but well... Gynoug is motivating.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:54:28 PM »

Yeah Gynoug is an incredible game, few games nowadays have so much art style and inspiration packed in, especially not those next gen games...

Look at the size of that thing
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 05:02:14 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:05:58 AM »

Whoa, if that ain't the biggest phallic symbol in a computer game, then I don't know what.... Shocked

But back to topic: I pretty much agree with Derek critique about the ship.
Also a little more detail in the background would surely give it more depth and atmosphere.
Other than that I think the boss looks pretty cool already. And don't worry too much about the style - I think it does a good job with the other graphics.

What tools are you using to develop Alien Trophy Hunter? By the means of code...

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
PixelRebirth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »

Oh well, I forgot to mention... I'm using Multimedia Fusion. Since I don't know any better alternative that doesn't require real coding skills.

When you just look at the shots and the boss here you might get the impression that it matched quite ok. But not when you see it in the running game. Well I actually knew when I drew it that it wouldn't really fit. Anyway, I've already changed some of the graphical content. It's going to look a little less cartoony I'd say.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 12:19:54 AM »

Whoa, if that ain't the biggest phallic symbol in a computer game, then I don't know what.... Shocked

Played Shadow of the Colossus?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 09:05:38 AM »

One thing I could recommend is to make the background stars a bit less bright; I dislike bright stars in the background because sometimes it interferes with the foreground (mistaking stars for bullets is easy when they're so bright).

Of course, maybe I'm wrong, I didn't seem to mind the bright stars in Darius Twin -- but even that used blues, and it used far fewer stars than you use in your screenshots.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic