Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:52:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGVGNG: Results!
Poll
Question: Pick your three favorites!  (Voting closed: April 09, 2008, 03:51:43 PM)
8-Bit Gun Tales - 4 (0.8%)
Ace Starkiller in: Hillbilly Burger Bastards! - 13 (2.5%)
Attack Of The Banjo On The High Seas - 0 (0%)
Brain-Damaged Toon Underworld - 43 (8.3%)
BudgetSoft Presents: Football Planet - 1 (0.2%)
Corporate Moped Horde - 3 (0.6%)
Dynamite Prison Armageddon - 4 (0.8%)
Emo Harvest on The Oregon Trail - 5 (1%)
Enraged Rocket House - 4 (0.8%)
Extreme Bedtime: The Next Generation - 2 (0.4%)
Fabulous Hardware Annihilation - 0 (0%)
Furry Punching Nitro - 3 (0.6%)
Great Magic of the Deep - 3 (0.6%)
Heavy Metal Ninja Shootout - 0 (0%)
Incomprehensible Penguin Arena - 8 (1.5%)
Infinite Nazi on Wheels - 0 (0%)
Infinite Underwear Attack - 0 (0%)
Masters of Janitor Runner - 0 (0%)
Mega Spatula Fury - 2 (0.4%)
Morbidly Obese Workout Man - 6 (1.2%)
My First Skydiving Academy - 77 (14.9%)
Narcoleptic Soccer Rush - 19 (3.7%)
No One Can Stop the Farm Pioneer - 26 (5%)
No One Can Stop the Sloth of the Blood God - 10 (1.9%)
Obsessive Compulsive Penguin Simulator - 9 (1.7%)
Orbital Booty Interceptor - 14 (2.7%)
Papal Shotgun Gladiator - 1 (0.2%)
Planet of the Forklift Kid - 16 (3.1%)
Post-Apocalyptic Unicorn Uprising - 16 (3.1%)
Presidential Crowbar Encounter - 1 (0.2%)
Pro Mushroom Slam - 0 (0%)
Robotic Outlaw Mayhem - 5 (1%)
Rocket-Powered Frisbee Punch-Out!! - 1 (0.2%)
ROM CHECK FAIL - 83 (16.1%)
Russian Landmine Patrol - 1 (0.2%)
Samurai Railroad Mansion - 33 (6.4%)
Savage Balloon 3000 - 0 (0%)
Secret of Software 64 - 4 (0.8%)
Shameful Pachinko Romance - 3 (0.6%)
Small-Time Scorched Earth Invasion - 4 (0.8%)
Time Shark II: Medieval Shark Strike Force - 5 (1%)
Tiny Platypus Pimps - 18 (3.5%)
Twin Hobo Rocket - 10 (1.9%)
Unstoppable Dwarf - Hot Pursuit - 1 (0.2%)
Viking Bazooka Bloodbath - 27 (5.2%)
We Love Mind Control Rocket - 15 (2.9%)
Morbidly Obese Rugby Nation - 11 (2.1%)
Super Mario vs. Programming in China - 6 (1.2%)
Total Voters: 168

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: VGNG: Results!  (Read 84052 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 12:37:41 PM »

Ahm...
Maybe this was intended, but:
You forgot my game: Super Mario vs. Programming in China.

BaronCid  Smiley
Hey BaronCid, I had included it in the original list, but when I downloaded it I noticed only some pictures, no program, so I thought it was for brand leadership only and not the compo. If there was a program I'm sorry I totally missed it.Embarrassed PM derek to include it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:40:13 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 12:43:41 PM »

Ahm...

BaronCid  Smiley
Hey BaronCid, I had included it in the original list, but when I downloaded it I noticed only some pictures, no program, so I thought it was for brand leadership only and not the compo. If there was a program I'm sorry I totally missed it.Embarrassed PM derek to include it.

One day, the world will be cleaned of the dark forces of programming and hardware acceleration! One day, we will play Pen'n'Paper MMORPGs! Believe, my children, believe!!! Tongue I just PMed him.

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »

Ahm...

BaronCid  Smiley

One day, the world will be cleaned of the dark forces of programming and hardware acceleration! One day, we will play Pen'n'Paper MMORPGs! Believe, my children, believe!!! Tongue I just PMed him.
I don't know I have been looking at your pictures and I am thinking that somehow this could be considered as a very avant-garde form of interactivity.
I mean, when you write "draw your own levels in paint", This is a form of interactivity even if it involves launching another program?
Mmmhh...Maybe your game is too advanced for our time... Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »

I would like to see SMvsPiC on the list, even if it might be in slight violation of the rules, because I think it's a really good joke.

Also, I posted this in the comment on the frontpage, but can someone fix my download link (for Time Shark II: Medieval Shark Strike Force) to point at http://hosted.filefront.com/cbwhitman, where the downloads reside? Currently it just points to the VGNG competition page. Thanks.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »

Ahm...

BaronCid  Smiley

I don't know I have been looking at your pictures and I am thinking that somehow this could be considered as a very avant-garde form of interactivity.
I mean, when you write "draw your own levels in paint", This is a form of interactivity even if it involves launching another program?
Mmmhh...Maybe your game is too advanced for our time... Wink

I wanted to vote for him!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Corpus
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »

Why is it outside of the rules? They simply stated that the name must come from the Video Gsme Name Generator, and that a "game" "project" must be completed based on that name. The only time that "video game" was mentioned was in the name of the generator itself. If the competition was to make a game based on the output of the Film Name Generator, you wouldn't be expected to make a film.

Don't punish BaronCid just because he thinks outside of the box.

Yeah, that's right. You're stuck in the box. BaronCid? He doesn't even know the box exists.
raelz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »

New OS? If you're on Vista...
Ehm I am stupid, I forgot to say (I wouldn't say it's weird on vista heh :D), I am on few hours old windows xp sp2 :/
Agh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 03:49:31 PM »

I put all games into two zip files. So if you are to lazy to download each game separately, here you go.

Part1 (100MB) - from 8-Bit Gun Tales till Orbital Booty Interceptor:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CMZMME44

Part2 (168MB)- from  Papal Shotgun Gladiator till  Super Mario vs. Programming in China:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OENY7EJI
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:54:53 PM by Agh » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 03:52:20 PM »

Wow, thanks, Agh! Shocked

Also, BaronCid, your game has been added to the VGNG page and also the poll.  Sorry about the mix-up!
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »

Jesus thats a shitload of games, stunning efforts. Shocked  Huh?  Shocked

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »

Having to choose only 3 titles was a very tough call. I have actually compiled an Excel spreadsheet where I rated all the games as I went along and finished with 7 potential winners and another 9 games I really enjoyed.

I gave the games ratings from 1 to 5 like in the infamous TIGdb and reached an average score of 2.96 stars, so I think my "mini reviews" were kinda fair. =)

In most cases I looked at the gameplay and not the humor contained in the titles although I have taken it into account and modified the score by +/- 1 accordingly.

After the voting finishes (so as not to influence anybody) I can post my scores if anybody cares about a mainstream game reviewer's (with a love for indie games) opinion. ;-)

All in all this was an amazing competition and it's unbelievable what some people have put together in such a short time although there ARE obviously higher and lower quality titles. =)

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »

I'd love to see a reviews piece, if you can be bothered to do all 48. Shocked

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »

Having to choose only 3 titles was a very tough call. I have actually compiled an Excel spreadsheet where I rated all the games as I went along and finished with 7 potential winners and another 9 games I really enjoyed.

I gave the games ratings from 1 to 5 like in the infamous TIGdb and reached an average score of 2.96 stars, so I think my "mini reviews" were kinda fair. =)

In most cases I looked at the gameplay and not the humor contained in the titles although I have taken it into account and modified the score by +/- 1 accordingly.

After the voting finishes (so as not to influence anybody) I can post my scores if anybody cares about a mainstream game reviewer's (with a love for indie games) opinion. ;-)

All in all this was an amazing competition and it's unbelievable what some people have put together in such a short time although there ARE obviously higher and lower quality titles. =)
Duh, that's exactly the way I'm doing it Smiley Well, minus the excel, it's actually txt-Editor-goodness. Also, getting an average score might be a little tough, as I got some ratings of 3-4/5, then there's (2-)3/5, not to mention the <3/5 Grin (My most useless one so far definitely is the 1+</3/2/5. One plus love divided by two, of five *cough*) They only serve as directions for the choice of my top 3, anyway. 46 games are just a whole lot stuff to play. Well, I'm 22 games in, 24 to go Smiley I guess I might comment on each game in the specific threads, especially as some are lacking feedback they seriously deserve to get.

So far I'm quite fascinated by just how good those entries are. There are some joke games, some frankly rather bad games, but nearly all are definitely good in one way or another or impressively many ways Smiley So yeah, this competition definitely is an "epic win" or whatever they call it Wink
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:41:06 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:31 PM »

So far I'm quite fascinated by just how good those entries are. There are some joke games, some frankly rather bad games...

My game is ART.  Someone told me that on this very forum.  By the way, in case you guys don't have it worked into your excel sheets, ART games get first place instantly and without question.  THAT'S HOW WE WORK TOGETHER TO DRIVE VIDEOGAMES FORWARD AS A RESPECTED MEDIUM.

But yeah, the entries in this contest are top notch!  Some of the best ones finished EARLY.  I'm very impressed.  TIGS' awesome level just got boosted up a few more notches.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 04:19:10 AM »

Spent two votes.  Saving my third... man, it's going to take forever to play all these.

Glad the voting window is open so long.  I'm going to need it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »

Since I didn't make my game in time I might still participate in the way of giving detailed reviews of each title. Though that'll have to wait until the last day of voting, lest I influence the votes of the weak-minded manbaby masses with my superb writing.

I KID! :0

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
thief0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »

I might still participate in the way of giving detailed reviews of each title.

Yes, please do so, thanks a lot.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »

I don't know why my incomplete enty "Mega Spatula Fury" is included... it violates the rule about being a "finished" game. All you can do in it so far is kill people and then walk around with nothing to do. :3

http://www.tigsource.com/features/vgng/ is giving me one of these right now:
"Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Are we out of bandwidth already?  Shocked
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 02:00:20 PM »

If we were, you wouldn't see these forums, I think. Besides, I can't access the tigsource website at all from home. I need to go through youhide.com or visit in school.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »

The front page has issues that nobody seems to be interested in fixing.

Oh well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic