Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:37:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGVGNG: Results!
Poll
Question: Pick your three favorites!  (Voting closed: April 09, 2008, 03:51:43 PM)
8-Bit Gun Tales - 4 (0.8%)
Ace Starkiller in: Hillbilly Burger Bastards! - 13 (2.5%)
Attack Of The Banjo On The High Seas - 0 (0%)
Brain-Damaged Toon Underworld - 43 (8.3%)
BudgetSoft Presents: Football Planet - 1 (0.2%)
Corporate Moped Horde - 3 (0.6%)
Dynamite Prison Armageddon - 4 (0.8%)
Emo Harvest on The Oregon Trail - 5 (1%)
Enraged Rocket House - 4 (0.8%)
Extreme Bedtime: The Next Generation - 2 (0.4%)
Fabulous Hardware Annihilation - 0 (0%)
Furry Punching Nitro - 3 (0.6%)
Great Magic of the Deep - 3 (0.6%)
Heavy Metal Ninja Shootout - 0 (0%)
Incomprehensible Penguin Arena - 8 (1.5%)
Infinite Nazi on Wheels - 0 (0%)
Infinite Underwear Attack - 0 (0%)
Masters of Janitor Runner - 0 (0%)
Mega Spatula Fury - 2 (0.4%)
Morbidly Obese Workout Man - 6 (1.2%)
My First Skydiving Academy - 77 (14.9%)
Narcoleptic Soccer Rush - 19 (3.7%)
No One Can Stop the Farm Pioneer - 26 (5%)
No One Can Stop the Sloth of the Blood God - 10 (1.9%)
Obsessive Compulsive Penguin Simulator - 9 (1.7%)
Orbital Booty Interceptor - 14 (2.7%)
Papal Shotgun Gladiator - 1 (0.2%)
Planet of the Forklift Kid - 16 (3.1%)
Post-Apocalyptic Unicorn Uprising - 16 (3.1%)
Presidential Crowbar Encounter - 1 (0.2%)
Pro Mushroom Slam - 0 (0%)
Robotic Outlaw Mayhem - 5 (1%)
Rocket-Powered Frisbee Punch-Out!! - 1 (0.2%)
ROM CHECK FAIL - 83 (16.1%)
Russian Landmine Patrol - 1 (0.2%)
Samurai Railroad Mansion - 33 (6.4%)
Savage Balloon 3000 - 0 (0%)
Secret of Software 64 - 4 (0.8%)
Shameful Pachinko Romance - 3 (0.6%)
Small-Time Scorched Earth Invasion - 4 (0.8%)
Time Shark II: Medieval Shark Strike Force - 5 (1%)
Tiny Platypus Pimps - 18 (3.5%)
Twin Hobo Rocket - 10 (1.9%)
Unstoppable Dwarf - Hot Pursuit - 1 (0.2%)
Viking Bazooka Bloodbath - 27 (5.2%)
We Love Mind Control Rocket - 15 (2.9%)
Morbidly Obese Rugby Nation - 11 (2.1%)
Super Mario vs. Programming in China - 6 (1.2%)
Total Voters: 168

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: VGNG: Results!  (Read 84066 times)
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 03:04:34 PM »

Oh, the page is loading again now. And those screenshots are hilarious!!  :D
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »

Finally played all the entries, and I've voted Smiley Man, that was hard. I had nearly 20 games in my shortlist! You people are amazing Kiss

devo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 07:10:16 PM »

oh hell yeah
tenth
Level 0

Keepin' it real(ly bad)

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »

Even narrowing it down to three is very tough, indeed.

With so many entries (and such incredibly diverse ones, at that) it might be nice to have more voting categories. So in addition to "Best Game Overall", you could have things like "Best Artwork", "Best Gameplay", "Best Joke Entry", etc... Some of these games really deserve a reward like that, even if I wouldn't necessarily put them in the top three of a total ranking.
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 07:16:35 PM »

With so many entries (and such incredibly diverse ones, at that) it might be nice to have more voting categories. So in addition to "Best Game Overall", you could have things like "Best Artwork", "Best Gameplay", "Best Joke Entry", etc... Some of these games really deserve a reward like that, even if I wouldn't necessarily put them in the top three of a total ranking.

It would be cool to have something more than the top three, allright Smiley

Daniel.
Ludomancy
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »

After the voting finishes (so as not to influence anybody) I can post my scores if anybody cares about a mainstream game reviewer's (with a love for indie games) opinion. ;-)

oh yeah, that'd be somewhat interesting.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 08:12:14 PM »

Vote'd.

Just went through all 48 games. Took me several hours :O

olücæbelel
DeveloperX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 08:19:52 PM »

I've cast my vote. Man there were some interesting games....was tough to vote, but I narrowed it down to three somehow. Grin
Corpus
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 11:28:59 PM »

I can't run any of the XNA games, horrifyingly. I keep getting some obscure-sounding error when I try to run them. XNA is installed, though, including all the XNA stuff for Visual C# 2008.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 03:58:43 AM »

Could it be that you have an old-ish graphics card which doesn't support DX9.0 and some kind of shaders? My card has this problem Cry

olücæbelel
Zedix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 07:03:20 AM »

I can't run any of the XNA games, horrifyingly. I keep getting some obscure-sounding error when I try to run them. XNA is installed, though, including all the XNA stuff for Visual C# 2008.

You might be missing some component of DX9. If you haven't already, try running Narcoleptic Soccer Rush's setup file (haha, shameless plug!) and it'll check if you have the right components to run XNA, and install the missing ones if needed. So far it has worked on every computer, unless you don't have a Pixel shader 1.1 card.
Gressmon
Level 0

Sweet Raptorchrist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 03:21:44 PM »

Voted.
Took me a couple of hours to test them all, but that was fun ! Good job to every one who made those !  Grin
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 06:54:20 PM »

I can't get the XNA games to work either (and yes, I did use NSR's installer). Which is unfortunate, since some of those games looked really fun.

Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2008, 08:12:04 PM »

I can't get the XNA games to work either (and yes, I did use NSR's installer). Which is unfortunate, since some of those games looked really fun.

That sucks considering Narcoleptic Soccer Rush is the best game there...  :D

All hi-la-rity aside I'm kind of disappointed at how many people can't run it, especially since we spent so many man(ly)hours on it. I think we might have to reconsider how we develop competition games next time, hard to get people to vote if they can't play...  Lips Sealed

edit: Having said all that, would it be possible for people who couldn't run the game PM me what video card they have on their machine. I guess that's asking much but if you feel like it anyways... I'd like to see how many of you can't run it because of no shaders 1.1 support or if its something we did on our side (aside from picking XNA)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:14:26 PM by Gazillion » Logged

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »

I for my part played Narcoleptic Soccer Rush and found it highly enjoyable. +1 for Vista, it seems. ;-)

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »

I wish young coders weren't so seduced by the easy path of the Sith Microsoft XNA as a devellopment platform.
I know it's a must if you want to have your game on XBLA -one day, maybe-, but I think having your game on XBLA isn't the ultimate grail.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2008, 11:37:47 PM »

We didn't choose XNA because we wanted our games on XBLA, we chose it because it made developing our game really easy. We chose it for a ton or reasons:

- C#
- lots of resources available (community/tutorials/sample code/great documentation)
- no low level details to consider (device initialization, etc)

I guess any choice made has its consequences. We didn't realize how many people wouldn't be able to run the game when we chose it being one of them.

Suggest an alternative that has points 2 and 3 (I'm opened to using Java) and I'll take a look  Smiley

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2008, 11:44:15 PM »

Honestly, SDL frees you up for a lot of the same stuff. Device initialization is a snap; it's cross-platform; it runs efficiently and natively supports a lot of different media formats. Also, there is a ton of examples and support libraries out there for most anything.

If you can do that C/C++ thing, that is. I found writing something from scratch in SDL was a fair amount of work, but by no means unmanageable for one person with a couple of weeks of time.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2008, 02:48:22 AM »

Actually I used C++/SDL and make my game in one week from scratch, I can't compare to XNA, but i made my level editor in c#, and c++/c# is not so different after all...I think that SDL is good choice, that its easy and well documented with tutorials and everything, but also multiplatform (no compatibility problems, no additional 10-20Mb installation files) and runs on slow computers as well...
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2008, 06:16:22 AM »

We didn't choose XNA because we wanted our games on XBLA, we chose it because it made developing our game really easy. We chose it for a ton or reasons:

- C#
- lots of resources available (community/tutorials/sample code/great documentation)
- no low level details to consider (device initialization, etc)

Same reason I went with XNA. My only other experience was with Aleggro, and that was a huge pain. It's such a shame Microsoft have totally destroyed the deployment of XNA based games on non-dev ready machines. I have 2 friends who both have Vista, and only one got it going even though they went through the same steps.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic