Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:07:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLewt - Extremely Modifiable Procedurally Generated RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lewt - Extremely Modifiable Procedurally Generated RPG  (Read 4838 times)
Metapyziks
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »

Lewt (working title) is an RPG being developed by myself in C# with XNA.

The best way I can describe what I want this game to play like is a cross between modern western RPGs and, I'll admit, the first Pokemon games (although not the combat).

The game takes place in the totally original setting of a fantasy Medieval-ish magic and monster ridden world (although it doesn't have to be as I'll explain later). The world you explore is randomly generated at the start, full of towns with inns and shops, and wilderness with forests and dungeons.

The main "overworld" is explorable on foot, the generator can make a map of any size (within limits of RAM and time). At the moment the standard world is about two and a half kilometres square. The overworld contains towns with buildings, all of which can be entered and contain a unique interior. Dungeons are randomly generated upon entry (but keep their layout afterwards) and can be made any size.

Combat will occur inside dungeons, which will be full of tasty treasure and not so tasty monsters. At the moment I have no combat mechanics set up, but you can walk around and interact with things. There's already a fully working inventory system, and you can buy and sell things to shopkeepers now too.

I've tried to keep the game easily customiseable, with my own content system which allows players to add new building types and tilesets, dungeon styles, NPC classes and much more. I use Lua for scripting entities and deciding how dungeons are populated too. A player could basically make a whole new game from scratch with completely different enemies, a different setting (tundra, savannah etc) and different weapons.

All of the art (if you can call it that), except for the character sprites, were drawn by me. I'll probably look for an artist to clean it up when more of it is done. I wrote my own UI system to sort of mimic the way Pokemon's worked, and I have limited the resolution and controls to almost GBA quality.

There is still alot of work to be done. I'll probably set up a list here of things I plan to add, such as an inventory system. Thankfully Vampired has kindly offered to help me, so development should speed up a ton.

In terms of what I want to do with the game when it's done, I can't decide whether I want to try and sell it or just release it for free. Thinking about that can wait though.

This thread is to update you all with what is happening with Lewt, and it would also be great if you could suggest things you would want in a game like this so I can make it the best it can be. I might also post some test builds to get performance results.

Thanks for reading, here are a few more shots:

VIDEO:

Guard
Level 0

Java's cool.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:22:09 PM »

This... this... is just amazing. I love the inventory (gui)!

Hats of to you, sir!

Programming since Sept 2009
Web Developing since 2006
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:01:16 PM »

Looks awesome, in particular the customisability potential. Nice work.

Is this inspired by Squidi in any way? Thought those look like his free sprites, and he's done a lot of writing on procedural generation.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:11:34 PM »

This absolutely oozes with potential, and I can't wait to see this in the (proverbial) flesh.  Some feedback, in both comment and question form, which highlights some issues I hope you've already thought about:

What's combat going to be like?  Action (like Zelda) or turn-based (like JRPGs)?  Perhaps, given the focus on modability, you could provide a framework for both; though there are arguments for and against each model.  However, I suspect that your decision will make or break this game.

Though the overworld map looks great zoomed out, both the towns and the dungeons look a bit lame as they are.  I dare say you'll optimise the generation algorithm to make each look more elegant, but at the moment it all looks rather functional - not very town-like at all.

Will there be more space available in the inventory?  Though the inventory system looks excellent at the moment (with sensible options like "sell all"), with a world this potentially large I suspect you'll be desperate for more space pretty soon, especially if each piece of equipment takes up a slot.  Also, I notice there is a lack of descriptions for items (and indeed, a stats menu), so how can I compare my loot (or, er, 'lewt')?  I want me some stats!

Finally, this is utterly begging for a website with space to share graphics and stuff.  I do hope such a website is forthcoming.

Anyways, I'm seriously looking forward to seeing this released!  Keep up the good work!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »

Wicked!

Might I suggest a choice between action and menu battle systems? Lets the player choose for themselves what kind of game it plays out like. There's also some good Gauntlet-esque hack'n'slash potential in this as well. Smiley

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:57:30 AM »

Yeah if you had a little text that said what each piece of gear did in the shop (i.e. Brown Leggings, DEF +2 or something) It'd be way better.

Maybe you could associate a single string to each item that gets carried along between shop / chest or enemy loot to player that was specifically for item descriptions?

You need a stat screen for your guy too, and- ESPECIALLY for a game called LEWT- make sure all those items have a bunch of cool mods and stuff, possibly with some variation on the same item like Diablo does (ex. Boots of Speed can spawn with +5-10% evade or something).

Looks great, man!

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
ezuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:52:36 AM »

This looks very promising. I’ll certainly be following it. It boggles my mind that you’re creating an RPG with a flexible and user-friendly editor on your own.

To come up with proper stat effects (DEF +2), you’ll need to sort out the combat mechanics.  For the editor, it would be great to have the option to make the combat turn-based or action-like, though that means A LOT of work. If I had to choose one, it would be real-time action. There’s a reason why so many commercial RPGs (Diablo, Din’s Curse, Torchlight) with procedural generation are action-oriented. Turn-based battles take a long time to play out, so it becomes very time-consuming to have lots of battles to find more lewt. In an action RPG, you can just throw waves of enemies at the player and depend on the mechanics to keep the battles fast-paced and fun.

One pet peeve: it really bugs me to pick up items in a dungeon or cave that make no sense, or at least less sense than a scroll or treasure. Fruit from a treasure chest in a dungeon? A glass of ale? Who’d put a drink in a treasure chest? And I’m supposed to consume that?

"All styles are good except for the tiresome kind." - Voltaire
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:44:25 PM »

This... looks absolutely epic. I can't WAIT to try it! I actually really like the current style of graphics. And aren't they customizable, anyway?

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »

How much scripting does this allow? I've been wanting to tell a little story in an Action-RPG framework but don't have the programming chops to execute it. Looks pretty awesome so far.

Tangentially... would you consider Turn-Based Strategy suppourt for this as well?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic