Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:38:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTeleglitch
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Teleglitch  (Read 25642 times)
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010, 12:21:05 PM »

So me and my brother have been working on a survival/shooter thing for about a year now.
However,we and a handful of friends are the only people who have ever played this, so i'm not sure if it is any good.

UPDATE february 24 2012:

-re-added stabbing
-rockets
-detectors that help you with certain pipes
-new map (press tab)
-configurable keybindings
-stats screen
-correct handling of different aspect ratios
-working options menu
-windowed mode

here's the new link:
http://bit.ly/Ar29tw outdated

and here is the video:

Code:
CONTROLS:
--------------------------------------
MOUSEWHEEL -changes weapons/items
WASD -move
RIGHT MOUSE BTN -aim
LEFT MOUSE BTN  -shoot/use
C               -toggle combine mode
ESC             -toggle menu
SPACE           -pick up/open containers (containers have these square brackets around them)

Q               -drop item
ARROWS          -navigate menu

M               -switch to first medkit
G               -switch to first bomb
1,2,3,4         -switch weapons

and here is a picture:

how far can you get?

UPDATE november 29 2011:

-improved gameplay
-insane amount of small fixes
-new weapons
-2 new monsters
-About 80 new sounds.
-more ways to combine things
-better menu
-probably forgot something important

UPDATE july 07 2011:
-lots of new monsters
-new name
-new guns
-randomly generated levels
-menu
-lots of other things

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:46:55 AM by epcc » Logged

Emceegyver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »

Hey nice game! I played it a bit, didn't get too far (only had 2 of the 6 power things, i'll try again later).
First and most importantly, menu. Having the game boot straight to the game isn't that bad, and for this game size (from what I imagine) it works, but closing on esc is not cool Tongue
Also, a way to restart after dying would be nice instead of restarting the game.

Lives would be nice, as an "easy" mode or something.

I do have one issue though. Why do some zombies appear out of nowhere?
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 12:28:40 AM »

Nice =)

I liked the controls; while having only one button to fire and use object took a while getting used to, once you got the hang of it you had detail control without having to move your hands around.

I agree with what Emceegyver said about the start/dying, though, and maybe the tutorial screen in the beginning should be accessible as a pause menu instead of forcibly shown once when the game starts. Had to restart a couple of times to get all the info..

Also, the game is very hard. Zombies are a little hard to spot and move quickly, so they are rather hard to hit, and you do not provide any safe zones or reliable ways to stock up health or ammo... Perhaps this was your aim (it certainly does heighten the sense of abandonment), but a way to play the game on an easier setting or with checkpoints would probably make it a lot more accessible.

In addition, you could probably work on communicating with the player a bit better. The zombies and items could stand out more against the backdrop, the doors where somewhat hard to see. Also, having sound effects for when you are hit, when the gun reloads, is out of ammo, when you pick up/drop something etc. would really help you know what is happening; you seldom have time to look at the stats when fighting.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 01:27:55 AM »

Saint pretty much hit it perfectly with some of the same complaints I had.

a few bugs I found: line breaks were messed up, text in game had "\n" all over the place.
Sometimes zombies just seemed to pop out of the ground, surely that isn't intended behaviour? (just noticed I wasn't the only one who noticed that).

Aside from zombie visibility being a bit awful, I really liked the graphics and the lighting system.

I really would like to see this more polished, because it's really good.
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:35:07 AM »

Yeah, it really needs more polish, but it's just an early test build.

Zombies are supposed to rise from the ground, but the animation is glitchy at the moment, so it looks like they appear from nowhere.
Oh, and F9 restarts, but I'm not sure if it works without problems.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:36:52 PM »

bumping because
UPDATE:
-lots of new monsters
-new name
-new guns
-randomly generated levels
-menu
-lots of other things

http://bit.ly/n9BmgP

Please let us know about Your playing experience.

trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »

Looks pretty good.
Some game mechanics reminds me of Resident Evil and Silent Hill games. Will it have some plot?

What is realy needed is quick reload button. The game is too fast-paced to reload ammo manualy in real-time. In RE there was pause menu for that, and later games in series had reload combination.

Btw how to close application? I had to launch taskmanager to close the game
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »

esc should bring up a menu, trq?

I really like the atmosphere of this, and the graphical stylins are sweet.

I kept pressing r to reload and being sad when it didn't work.

I think it would be nice to be able to click to pick things up. I just like clicking things to pick them up. It's been embedded into me.

trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »

esc should bring up a menu, trq?
It shows test3.min or something, but I just realised you have to hit enter or arrow down to bring up menu
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »

I like the pixellated 3d graphics and the overall atmosphere, should be a fun game with a bit more work.

I wasn't a huge fan of having to hold down the right button to aim and then press the left one to shoot though, it feels a bit fiddly and makes the combat harder than it needs to be.  I see the RE-style thing you're going for but when you're already looking at where the mouse is anyway it seems a little superfluous.

Another thing I didn't like: I died and then couldn't figure out how to quit. Esc (I see from above you have to hit enter or arrow after esc to bring up a menu, but that was far from immediately apparent), F5, Alt-F4 and Alt-Tab all wouldn't work so in the end I task manager'd it to death which had the unfortunate side effect of buggering up my mouse (it ended up permenantly stuck in the top left corner) and I had to restart my computer to fix it.  Not really ideal.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
ToothyMang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »

Bit of a rant here, but I hate how many games describe themselves as "survival" when they really mean "don't die", just like any old shooter. I know this is pretty much irrelevant, but I was hoping for some actual survival mechanics.
Anyways, loves the graphics and physics so far. The zombies move so fast that they're pretty hard to hit. But looks to have potential. Nice work!
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »

yeah, I was expecting something a bit more amnesia-like, but it was pretty good!

one thing, I think you need to communicate all the controls because I filled up my inventory with dupes and no way to drop any of them, but I'm sure I remember dropping something by accident once.

pour on the polish :]

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »

ooo i love the look, slight fisheye too it seems like?   
I'll chime in that I also tried using the mousebuttons to pick up items, but eventually figured it out.
Seems like the aiming could either go more towards twitch or more towards slow and careful.. I didn't mind holding down right mouse button, but I felt like the longer I held it down and didn't make erratic movements,the more generous my aim would be. Almost like a small cone/fov that slowly widens out to allow a bit of bullet magnetism at range?  I got overwhelmed by enemies pretty easily.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:55:04 PM »

i really tried to put more work into polish this time, but it seems that i have failed. Sad
sorry about your restarts and locked mouses.

picking things up with mouse seems to be really popular, i guess i'll have to do it.

SageKanye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 11:57:54 PM »

I'm impressed! The mechanics of the game are fun, I like the fact that you have to aim before shooting.

I only have one issue at the time being (besides a few obvious things and bugs): The text isn't "impossible" to read, but it's not easy. Especially the flashing text when you're standing near an item.

I'm excited to see how this turns out in the future! Smiley

I'm a wannabe game dev/artist/blogger.
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 07:34:39 AM »

don't get down epcc, user crits and feedback are the fuel of polishing! You can't do it without them. I think usability feedback should be carefully listened to particularly if you've only had a couple of testers, because it's very easy to get used to the way your game works over time, but someone new doesn't have that benefit and can find things difficult/un-obvious. I think you've had great feedback so far, just keep chopping those edges off till it's smooth Smiley

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
SageKanye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »

Any development news? I'm still playing the game, it's so much fun.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »

yeah man don't despair, this is mad fun already and I'd like to see where it goes.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »

...Another thing I didn't like: I died and then couldn't figure out how to quit. Esc (I see from above you have to hit enter or arrow after esc to bring up a menu, but that was far from immediately apparent), F5, Alt-F4 and Alt-Tab all wouldn't work so in the end I task manager'd it to death which had the unfortunate side effect of buggering up my mouse...

This is my only complaint so far.  It'd probably help to have the first tier of menu options open upon hitting escape.  Before I figured that out and ctrl+alt+deleted out I did have to tab around till I could delete the process due to the mouse being locked.

The visuals are fantastic and I'm really impressed with the environments and the procedural levels.  I had no problem with readability as far as zombies go, though my first time playing it took me a minute to realize doors were doors.  The lighting works really well and makes things incredibly tense.  Also, cool trees man.  Cool trees.

As far as the control scheme goes I had no problem with it.  A little experimenting my first game and I had it down no problem.  Maybe consider a quick tutorial?  Unless you've got one and I missed it.  It's happened before.

Hypothetically could multiplayer with gamepads be a feature in the future?  A future feature?  I'm no developer so I have no idea what that would take.

Hope to see this finished cause what you've got so far is awesome!
SageKanye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »

Multi-player would be pretty rad, for the future of course!

Also to anybody who has problems with quitting, after you press esc, press the down arrow key and the menu will come up Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic