Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:10:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHidden Asset (isometric stealth/assassination) LIVE ON KICKSTARTER!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Hidden Asset (isometric stealth/assassination) LIVE ON KICKSTARTER!  (Read 66133 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »

@Mr Bazooka & SelfTitled: Thanks! Gentleman

I read that you do the object outlines using marching squares.  Do you pre-generate the outlines during game startup? I've implemented marching squares previously but thought it was too slow to do at runtime.  Maybe you do on the GPU in a shader?

I do it at runtime when an object is first selected and then if there're any changes to the object (a door opening/closing or a character animating, for example). I do it by rendering the object sprite to the back buffer, then reading the pixel data into an array of bytes (RGBA). Then I do the marching squares on this array while drawing the actual outline into another array of bytes. When done, I copy the outline array into a texture that I can then render to the screen. The actual marching squares part is quick as I'm just working on an ordinary array. What takes the most time and can cause slowdowns on (very) old computers is when I read the pixel data from the back buffer.

I also notice that you show entities that move behind walls by 'fading out' the area of the wall that obscures them.  Thats' really nice!  Any tips/guidelines on how to do it?

To create the x-ray effect, I basically draw the area around the player character an extra time before drawing the full frame. I draw it without drawing any layers above the player, and also not drawing any walls or tall objects in front of the player (or draw them more or less transparent if the player is walking past them so they're transitioning from being behind him to in front of him). I only draw this to a framebuffer object (or to the back buffer and then copy that over to a texture if the computer the game is running on doesn't support framebuffer objects). I then add a circular alpha mask to this texture to make it circular with a soft edge. I then draw the normal frame and just draw the x-ray texture on top of it.

EDIT:

Here's an image describing the x-ray effect more clearly, I hope. It's not the exact way it works in the game, since higher levels of a building the player is inside would never be drawn like this, but it's the basic principle.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:36:34 PM by Christian Knudsen » Logged

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ashen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »

Fantastic explanations, thanks!

For object selection I currently just cycle the lightness level on the object which seems to work ok. Thanks to your experience I may give marching squares another attempt as my sprites are relatively small.

That's a really clever use of frame buffer objects.  I don't use them at all in my game but I really should look into it. In my game there could be 100 or more characters that need to have the x-Ray effect applied so I,m not sure if that is feasible, performance wise.  As I have the multiple z-levels I've had to take other approaches (slicing etc) to ensure the player can see what they need to.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2016, 05:34:25 AM »

Alpha testing is so close that I can taste it! Tastes like chicken, by the way. I was actually hoping to have the game ready for closed alpha testing already, but issues that I needed/wanted to address kept popping up. In this video, I talk about two of the gameplay issues I've dealt with.

The first issue was how strict the game is in regards to guards hearing your footsteps. Before, they would always react to hearing your footsteps, but I've now made it a bit more lenient so that they won't react to your footsteps if there are other NPCs near you, since the footsteps might as well have come from them. The game was just too unforgiving.

The second issue was aimed shooting. The whole gimmick of a screen popping up where you would see a first-person view of your target and had to aim manually just didn't feel right when actually playing the game. It felt too involved and ruined the flow of the game. So I've simplified how all that works.

I also added a way for me to track play statistics for alpha testing. The game will keep track of various stats, such as total play time, deaths, kills, your stealth rating and so on, and write it to a plain txt file. Testers will then be able to just paste the contents of that txt file into a post on the forums, or upload the txt file itself, and I'll be able to get a good overview of how hard certain parts of the game were in general.

For the game to be completely ready for alpha testing, though, I still need to fix some bugs and crashes. And then compile and test the Linux and Mac OS X versions of the game... and also setting up a forum for alpha testers where they can offer feedback and report bugs as well as download the test version of the game. My current idea is that if you want to be an alpha tester, just make a post in a forum thread I'll set up for that purpose (and register for the forums first, if you aren't already). I'll then grant you "Tester" status on the forums, which will also give you access to a hidden forum post with the download link.

That's the plan, at least.

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »

The Windows and Linux alpha versions of Hidden Asset are ready for testing!

If you want to be a tester, please go here:
http://www.laserbrainstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=2222.0

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2016, 05:46:34 AM »

v0.5.0.1 of the Hidden Asset alpha has been released:

http://www.laserbrainstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=2225.msg15052#msg15052

- Fixed an elevator issue on the second map.

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2016, 12:44:56 PM »

Hidden Asset v0.5.1 Alpha now available for testing!

Go here if you want to help test it: http://www.laserbrainstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=2222.0

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2018, 03:22:10 AM »

I need some help testing my game Hidden Asset -- an isometric assassination/stealth game. I currently have a demo that I will be using for a future Kickstarter campaign, and it is this demo I need tested. Below are some screenshots, if you're curious what the game looks like.

-- Download links --

North America:
Windows 7 or later (128 MB)
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)
Mac OS X 10.5 or later (156 MB)

Europe:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

-- Debugging --

For the Windows and Linux versions, there are two executables: a normal version and a debug version. The debug version may run a bit slower on older computers, so if you're not getting a steady 40 FPS (hit F1 to toggle FPS on/off), you may want to use the normal version. But if you can use the debug version, please do so as this will provide valuable information in case of a crash:

- On Windows, the debug information will pop up in a window during a crash.
- On Linux, the debug information will be outputted to the terminal, so please run the game from the terminal (navigate to the game directory and run it with ./hiddenassetdebug).
- Please take a screenshot of the debug information and paste it here or send it to me directly in an email, while also letting me know where you were in the game/what you were doing just before the crash.

(Note that on Linux, you may have to set the run permission of the executable with 'chmod -x hiddenasset' to allow you to run it, as the permission is sometimes lost when compressing the game files.)

-- Feedback --

When you're done with the game, please send me the stats.txt file that on Windows and Linux will be located in the game directory and on Mac OS X will be in your '~/Library/Application Support/Hidden Asset' directory. You can either email it to [email protected] or write a post with a link to where I can download it.

Also, please share any thoughts or comments about the game! Were certain parts too hard or too easy? Was the game fun? Too much or too little tutorial information?

-- Linux dependencies --

If you don't already have SDL2, SDL2_mixer and SDL2_image installed on your system, they can be installed with the following commands in the terminal (given that they're in your distribution's repositories):

sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-mixer-2.0
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-image-2.0

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:36:30 AM by Christian Knudsen » Logged

Laserbrain Studios
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2018, 03:35:57 AM »

I'd love to test, but the question is, how big a download we're talking about?
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2018, 03:38:27 AM »

Good point. The game is 126-156 MB, depending on the OS. I've updated the post with this info.

Laserbrain Studios
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2018, 04:16:56 AM »

Good point. The game is 126-156 MB, depending on the OS. I've updated the post with this info.

That's... much less than I expected! I'd love the link then.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2018, 04:25:20 AM »

2D game in a custom engine -- not much overhead! Grin

I've sent you a PM.

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »

Not really getting much feedback, so I've opened up testing for anybody willing to help out. Any help is appreciated!

-- Download links --

North America:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

Europe:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

-- Debugging --

For the Windows and Linux versions, there are two executables: a normal version and a debug version. The debug version may run a bit slower on older computers, so if you're not getting a steady 40 FPS (hit F1 to toggle FPS on/off), you may want to use the normal version. But if you can use the debug version, please do so as this will provide valuable information in case of a crash:

- On Windows, the debug information will pop up in a window during a crash.
- On Linux, the debug information will be outputted to the terminal, so please run the game from the terminal (navigate to the game directory and run it with ./hiddenassetdebug).
- Please take a screenshot of the debug information and paste it here or send it to me directly in an email, while also letting me know where you were in the game/what you were doing just before the crash.

(Note that on Linux, you may have to set the run permission of the executable with 'chmod -x hiddenasset' to allow you to run it, as the permission is sometimes lost when compressing the game files.)

-- Feedback --

When you're done with the game, please send me the stats.txt file that on Windows and Linux will be located in the game directory and on Mac OS X will be in your '~/Library/Application Support/Hidden Asset' directory. You can either email it to [email protected] or write a post with a link to where I can download it.

Also, please share any thoughts or comments about the game! Were certain parts too hard or too easy? Was the game fun? Too much or too little tutorial information?

-- Linux dependencies --

If you don't already have SDL2, SDL2_mixer and SDL2_image installed on your system, they can be installed with the following commands in the terminal (given that they're in your distribution's repositories):

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2018, 02:59:07 AM »

Got some excellent coverage of the demo:

https://www.alphabetagamer.com/hidden-asset-alpha-demo/

Laserbrain Studios
Mochnant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »

Just found the game.  Looks very interesting and congratulations on dedication!  I saw the initial post was from 2010!
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »

Oh, God! Have I really been at it this long?! WTF

Laserbrain Studios
Mochnant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »

Oh, God! Have I really been at it this long?! WTF

Haha, yeah, I think we all know that feeling.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2018, 03:25:10 AM »

Version 0.6.2 of the Hidden Asset alpha demo is now available for download and testing. Use the download links below.

Please note that savegames from previous versions won't work in this new version!

This version includes some significant changes to the core gameplay. In the below video, I go over some of these changes:

-- Download links --

North America:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

Europe:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

-- Debug information --

For the Windows and Linux versions, there are two executables: a normal version and a debug version. The debug version may run a bit slower on older computers, so if you’re not getting a steady 40 FPS (hit F1 to toggle FPS on/off), you may want to use the normal version. But if you can use the debug version, please do so as this will provide valuable information in case of a crash:

– On Windows, the debug information will pop up in a window during a crash.
– On Linux, the debug information will be outputted to the terminal, so please run the game from the terminal (navigate to the game directory and run it with ./hiddenassetdebug).
– Please take a screenshot of the debug information and paste it here or send it to me directly in an email, while also letting me know where you were in the game/what you were doing just before the crash.

(Note that on Linux, you may have to set the run permission of the executable with ‘chmod -x hiddenasset’ to allow you to run it, as the permission is sometimes lost when compressing the game files.)

-- Feedback --

When you’re done with the game, please send me the stats.txt file that on Windows and Linux will be located in the game directory and on Mac OS X will be in your ‘~/Library/Application Support/Hidden Asset’ directory. You can either email it to [email protected] or write a post on the forums (as a guest, if you don’t feel like signing up) with a link to where I can download it. The stats.txt file contains information about time used in the game, when certain parts were reached, who you killed, how often and where you were killed, etc. No personal information or system information is gathered!

-- Linux dependencies --

If you don’t already have SDL2, SDL2_mixer and SDL2_image installed on your system, they can be installed with the following commands in the terminal (given that they’re in your distribution’s repositories):

(Note that on Linux, you may have to set the run permission of the executable with ‘chmod -x hiddenasset’ to allow you to run it, as the permission is sometimes lost when compressing the game files.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:03:50 AM by Christian Knudsen » Logged

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »

If you've got the Windows version of Hidden Asset, please download and place these manifest files in the game directory (i.e. the same folder as hiddenasset.exe):

http://www.laserbrainstudios.com/hiddenasset.exe.manifest
http://www.laserbrainstudios.com/hiddenassetdebug.exe.manifest

They fix some issues related to DPI scaling: blurriness and a slow-moving mouse cursor.

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2018, 02:18:33 AM »

Hidden Asset v0.6.2.1 released!

This is a minor update that primarily fixes a potential crash when loading a game.

-- Download links --

North America:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

Europe:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

Laserbrain Studios
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »

Version 0.6.2.2 of the Hidden Asset alpha demo is now available for download and testing. Use the download links below. Savegames from previous versions won’t work in this new version.

Changelog:
– Fixed: Bug that would sometimes stop the player while automatically following an NPC.
– Fixed: Fast forward sometimes affecting cutscene playback speed.
– Fixed: Damage text on damage dealt by a thrown object including the word ‘CRITICAL!’.
– Added: Game now pauses when minimized.
– Changed: Doors unlocked with a keycard or keycode only need to be unlocked when entering.
– Changed: NPC rushing to help another NPC fight the player will react to seeing a corpse.
– Changed: Tech Eden owner will not walk out of the back room if the player is behind the counter.
– Changed: NPC that heard you will stand still and listen for a shorter time.
– Changed: Guard at Hensley International reacts to dishwasher turning on even if currently reacting to hearing the player.

-- Download links --

North America:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

Europe:
Linux 32-bit (126 MB)
Linux 64-bit (126 MB)

Laserbrain Studios
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic