Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:51:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow I found Out I'm not a Programmer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: How I found Out I'm not a Programmer  (Read 4312 times)
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »

Hello, or what up this is my 1st post. name's Purple Hair Link based off the lovable SNES Zelda's Link in-game sprite. you can read my intro to TIG here http://tinyurl.com/2vogmdq if you're giving this post the stink eye and planning the cold shoulder. before I start It'll be cool to introduce yourself if you're responding, making friends is gay part of life so its weird that I enjoy it so much.

Anyway, I found out after a couple weeks with my head in the books that I am not cut out for programming. I poked around some, and actually finished the book "Beginning C++" by Mark Dawson, which served really well in my attempt to become a divine programmer. I borrowed it from my cousin, who is planning on becoming a part of the game industry as well. The book nearly kicked my ass but served as the basis of whole ideal of the Game world when serving behind the curtains...its a tough gig & programming is the huge rig that basically makes up the whole shabazz. I sweat sometimes as my neurotic mind helplessly tried to grasp onto any hope that I can do this..by this I mean be apart of the gaming industry; indie or mainstream.

I fell in-love with indie gaming..and I have yet to tell any girl i love her yet. I knew i wasn't a programmer to begin with but Indie means "dude you gotta wear different hats" what they left out is "you best get your size because if don't have it..your head will look stupid in that big'ol hat you have there". So i guess I'm saying is "Programming definitely didn't come in my size" & that killed me til I noticed "Maybe if it did fit, it wouldn't look cool on you rather on him" meaning surely its not my cup of noodles & knowing whats not right for me I can find my strength.

Hello, my name is Daye & i'm so not a programmer, I can write really well & design up to whatever par is set (huh?). Each position in the game biz hurts, and I know It probably kill me in the writing/designing department as well but I feel adequate under words and visual outlooks that span through the course of development & with that being said "A hat store isn't anything with different types of hats to make it a hat store" meaning I felt defeated not being a programmer, but knowing my skills as writer is very essential as well and for that..I feel groovey

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:28:09 AM »

your post is really horrible to read, is all that formatting necessary? Also, this isn't your blog. I don't know what you are bringing to the forum to discuss...but I'll try.

why are you giving up? there's a thousand old tired cliches re: failure so I'll spare you those.

you don't need to know c++ to make games. why not try game maker/mmf2/construct/etcetc. MMF2 has fancy checkboxes, game maker has drag and drop, and construct has event sheets.

unless you are talking about getting a job in the games industry..then uhh...I don't know what this post is about.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »

Judging from that post I don't think you should be banking on your writing ability either.

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:40:11 AM »

I know it sounds pretty blog-ish dude, but I'm just speaking my mind to relate to those who have the same issue or agree. It's about knowing you're capabilities, not as so giving up but I can strengthen what I feel most comfortable doing in the field of gaming. If you don't find it appealing, its cool lol.

Also do I shouldn't bank on my writing huh, lol dude, if theres a few mistakes in my grammar or the post was uninteresting its because I was just writing what came to mind & that's your opinion man.  

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:48:45 AM »

Hello or mainstream

I believe Ocarina of a hand in the game biz hurts and planning the course of a introduction thread I just finished the huge rig that basically makes up the course of the PS2

I mean be apart of a bit of programming most of development knowing my skills as the cool on you see on becoming a programmer I knew i guess Im from exhaustion and yes Im here if you passed out some and woke up near youre responding making friends is A Tribe Called Quest song a jumpstart

Im supercompulsive and as writer is you rather on tv with their disposable cameras Im SquareSofts last child by releasing Fallout franchise and actually finished a gamer when serving behind the hardships of life I have toooo much Anyway I have toooo much.

visual outlooks that basically makes up to become fully immersed in that span through the books when serving behind the gaming industry as well thrown into my ass but dudee Normal in the huge rig that being a gamer when Im sad I can post names based off the lovable SNES Zeldas Link

Sprite you stuff about it African American in these times of a couple of a hand in the PS2 I enjoy it African American in Marijuanagical Arts hopes this is my nuts kicked my head in my size because if not ask me about it as well Im saying is the course of life I my iPod a Legend of Time is gay part of learning to the writingdesigning department as well try a novelist somehow dont have there you go definetly will be apart of programming but served as much

Anyway I poked around some little kid from exhaustion and as a couple of life I love FPS shooters are dyingand Im cursing out for me til I let into my cup of those books of books that says a writer but I let into my bible I feel adequate under words and visual outlooks that I poked around some little kid from me in Marijuanagical Arts hopes this post names Purple Hair Link ingame sprite you gotta wear different types of whole ideal

A jumpstart Im one of innovation its like hey might as well try a hat store meaning surely its like hey might as well!
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »

Also do I shouldn't bank on my writing huh, lol dude, if theres a few mistakes in my grammar or the post was uninteresting its because I was just writing what came to mind & that's your opinion man.  

I'm just saying that post was purely style over substance, which isn't good writing. Grammatical mistakes aside (it's an internet forum, make all the grammatical mistakes you want), even if you're trying to come off as some sort of "these rules are only holding me back" writer, projecting a coherent idea should be the most basic intention of any literary communication.

I don't know what you were talking about, as did not allen, so your primary objective of writing is completely missed.

I'm trying to be constructive here. You can't deviate from the norm if you can't do the norm. You should be able to write something clear before you run off an try becoming a Danielewski.

Here's a book you should read to help you out in your quest to become a good writer.
http://amzn.to/cXydwK

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:17:26 AM »

Yeah, I understand what you guys are stating with the over induced text coloring, etc. Also comical attempts in the post as well with no real build on what I'm speaking of, but it was just a perspective & extending my hand out to the community for my 1st post. If the message was vague, long & hard to understand especially with over-doing the tools a bi. I apologize but don't base my professional writing on what you see here, a bit un-cool.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

RCIX
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 02:09:03 AM »

Shocked disco post

Anyway, if that was more of a style thing, then that's fine, but a reposting in a more professional manner would be highly desired.
increpare
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:17:51 AM »

Shocked disco post

Anyway, if that was more of a style thing, then that's fine, but a reposting in a more professional manner would be highly desired.
Right: this is a serious forum for serious people.  No jokes here. Wink

Generally, if you're having trouble with C++, which is understandable, there're loads of other setups for making games that are several orders of magnitude easier to deal with (allen listed them).

If you want someone to collaborate with, that's cool as well, but if you're basing your thoughts about programming upon your C++ experience, be aware that it's completely unrepresentative of what else is out there programming-wise for games.

I'm going to recommend that you re-read allen's post and respond to that instead of continuing to discuss posting style.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:09:48 AM by increpare » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 03:50:30 AM »

I also recommend starting with some software like Game Maker. It cuts out a lot of the front-end programming and gets you quickly to the part where you make a game. That's a great way to scratch the "gotta make a game" itch and express your ideas. If you happen to make something mind blowing that pushes you towards advanced design (real programming) consider taking a class. Reading a book is fine, but it's easier and faster if you have an experienced teacher ready and available to help you learn, as opposed to a static book that simply contains facts.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 04:34:43 AM »

/rant
Cheesy
Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 05:19:25 AM »

You know you are not a programmer, not when things become too difficult to understand, but when you stop trying to understand them.  Well, hello there!
Seth
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 05:32:24 AM »

so you read a book and then decided programming wasn't for you?  did you actually do any programming?
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »

yeah Allen's post was helpful, i got the "don't give up because it's hard", that's what I'm trying to say that my writing style of my post has nothing to do with me attempting to program.

Yeah I totally tried it out, program'd a small number of games. Game Maker's drag/drop is really cool and I seen about 200 games made with it, so its really great, I'm working on some games now for it.

I just wanted to point out that by finding out my constraints, I could value my time working in another field of gaming.

the whole hat analogy is just me saying "this is probably not for me"

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 10:53:44 AM »

...I poked around some, and actually finished the book "Beginning C++" by Mark Dawson, which served really well in my attempt to become a divine programmer.

This was your problem, trying to become a divine programmer straight up.

It's common knowledge in the industry knows that divine programmer is a prestige class, and not available until you have at least 10 ranks in normal programmer.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »

You also have to be Lawful Good, and if you're from NYC that is simply not possible.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »

don't base my professional writing on what you see here, a bit un-cool.

Then what should we base it on? So far this one post is all we've seen from you.

I gave up on programming myself long ago, and did a bunch of other stuff for a while. Then I tried to pick it up again, and magically the hat had shrunk! Or perhaps my head had grown - Either way, point is, the things I didn't understand before "just clicked".
st33d
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 01:33:58 PM »

If you like it, you'll find a way, you just have to stop quitting and thinking you're so stupid. All the clever clogs programmers I've met have been all, "who me? I'm pretty stupid, I just used this thing that that guy wrote, he's way smarter than me."

And that guy generally thinks that he's stupid and someone else he aped was much smarter, and so on.

Start small. Really small. Then discover that the human brain is a pretty kick-ass piece of hardware that can change from useless to unstoppable.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 07:06:47 PM »

Dang man, I've never read a full book on a programming language cover-to-cover.  I just do it and refer to the doc lists.

And I do own plenty of books on programming languages...

hi
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »

Out of interest, how many indie developers here are of the "can't code, won't code" persuation? I know that there are people who are primarily artists and writers, but I sort of presumed that everyone who is serious about making indie games can at least knock together a version of Tetris in their favourite language (or is at least learning to). It's hard enough having a vision for a game and needing to rely on a coder to put it together ('cos us coder types are famously grumpy, and usually have our own projects to be working on), but to need to rely on a coder without the slightest idea of what's involved in coding has got to be pretty crippling for an indie.

@ Puple_Hair_Link - I'm not sure what your original point was. If it was that you've tried coding (not just read about it), and know it's not for you, but want to be involved in writing for games... Dude, that post does not sell you well as a writer. If your point was that your first experience with coding (reading a C++ book) was a bit scary and disorientating, try checking out some of the stuff other people have recommended. I think either way, you should knock together a version of Tetris in your favourite language - whatever path you choose to take after that will be greatly enriched by you knowing at least a bit of what's involved in the code side.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic