Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:14:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingChrono Machine 0.8
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chrono Machine 0.8  (Read 2958 times)
12padams
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2010, 04:20:56 AM »

Warning: this game requires the .net 4.0 framework to run

Chrono Machine is a top down time travel game currently in early development.

I want to know what people think of it as I am not a very good graphics designer and i want to know if people will actually want to play this game when it is released for free... Or am I just wasting my time?

Heres a screen-shot of what the game looks like just as you log in.

Anyway you cant acually time travel yet as I am currently only getting the basics completed and tested...

This version contains the following:
Basic Movement
Basic Ai you can talk to and walk around
Collision Checking - you cant walk through a building.
Edge to Edge screen movement - to get to another area walk to the edge of the screen.

Exact Information:
Lines of code: 2022
Years in game: 2010
Outside areas in game: 3
Inside areas in game: 2 - food store, Microsoft store

Please just give it a try... Tell me you the graphics are good enough to at least know what things are... I made them myself and i am only 16 with no graphic designing lessons. One thing I just cant draw is people Sad its impossible...

I should mention... The windows 7 boxes are not done by me... they belong to Microsoft.

Anyway tell me if you think the game is worthy to be a free game...

Are the Graphics good enough?
Is the movement bad?
Any other comments???

Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LLE0SNIM

Any comment is appreciated..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:12:27 AM by 12padams » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:54:41 AM »

Moved to Feedback. Feel free to PM a moderator next time you need something like this.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:09:47 AM »

I attempted to install this and it informed that I needed the .NET framework v4.0.30319. (Your installer should package any required libraries if you're going to use one :D )

It's hard to make any kind of response about this because there wasn't any gameplay. Graphics could be fine, if there was. Smiley Movement did not feel at all smooth and it felt like it was better to continuously tap the arrowkey rather than hold it down.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:40:01 AM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:50:12 AM »

This is a good start. I personally think that the movement could be sped up a lot and made more smooth - make it more like continuous movement and less obvious that it's tile-based.

The graphics are obviously programmer art, but that can always be remedied once you have the gameplay down.

Also, word to the wise - stop using your age as a justification or excuse. There are people who are younger and better, and people who are older and worse. It doesn't mean anything.
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 04:45:40 AM »

As previously mentioned, a good start. Some things you could think about...

The movement is a bit sluggish and a bit too slow, you may want to reduce the key repeat time. Also, since movement is discrete rather than geometric (fully free), the key repeat delay should not apply if you press a key several times in quick succession.

You could increase immersion slightly by not having the text in the dialog box selectable, it makes it seem more like a generic application than a game.

AI characters should probably not be allowed to leave the screen.

Your art is a big mix of things with the characters being simple MS paint blobs, the grass being a gradient, the asphalt being a painted-over pattern texture and the houses sporting wordart... Artist or not, one thing you could do to make things look much better is to at least be consistent. An Untitled Story and Runman both have graphics that would not be hard to reproduce in MS paint, but since they have a uniform style they still look rather good...

... Hope it helped. Good luck with the future development!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic